Huel? Anyone tried this alternative to food?

Are there long term studies on if  there are long term consequences or lack thereof? 

Don't get me wrong, but  my ignorant ass just looks at this as a complement. eg. you still need to have your veggies/fruits/etc AND still drink this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skiver said:

Glad I stumbled upon this, I suspect it's not been long enough yet but you mentioned you were hoping this would keep weight under control - do you feel like it's having an effect?

I could do with something that A: cuts down price of lunches at work and B: enables me to have a "healthier" and more portion controlled lunch to stop my weight carrying on the trend it was.

I'm using it to gain weight slowly, although I haven't noticed anything in particular as yet. I do feel better and more awake when I take it though, and it gives me something to eat throughout the work day. According to what I've read, whether you gain or lose weight with this is completely up to you: put more Huel scoops in than you need = gain weight, put less than you need = lose weight. Huel's site has some FAQs which help you work out what you'll need.

4 hours ago, Kravex said:

Throw some cow/pig/chicken in and I'll think about it.

You can put all that in yourself :p

4 hours ago, Draconian Guppy said:

Are there long term studies on if  there are long term consequences or lack thereof? 

Don't get me wrong, but  my ignorant ass just looks at this as a complement. eg. you still need to have your veggies/fruits/etc AND still drink this.

Not that I've seen, although several media outlets and YouTuber's have done X days on Huel, X weeks, X months, etc, so you can see how things change over time.

On 20/05/2016 at 7:37 PM, Jack W said:

I'm using it to gain weight slowly, although I haven't noticed anything in particular as yet. I do feel better and more awake when I take it though, and it gives me something to eat throughout the work day. According to what I've read, whether you gain or lose weight with this is completely up to you: put more Huel scoops in than you need = gain weight, put less than you need = lose weight. Huel's site has some FAQs which help you work out what you'll need.

You can put all that in yourself :p

Ah sorry I thought you said it was to loose weight.

I've just ordered the sample to give this a try before committing to one of the larger packages. I only plan to have this as a lunch so the 28 meal pack should last me a month if not a bit more.

I have been on this for the last week. 

It's easier to portion control. Easier to see what exactly you're consuming in terms of carbs, proteins and fat. 

It tastes okay to me... but I don't really care I just down it in one. I replaced two meals a day with the last meal being something I like to eat but moderated - not excessive.

Losing about 0.5kg to 0.8kg per week. Of course with exercise too. Football, badminton and gym.

The stuff is filling as far as I can tell... and I have more energy than before probably because I don't get lazy and miss a meal.

Haha, at this rate we should get a Neowin discount code or referral bonus, I might give it a go soon.

Work away a lot and so heating healthy when you don't always have a fridge and are on hotel breakfasts every morning and eating out every night is pretty hard.

3 minutes ago, philcruicks said:

Haha, at this rate we should get a Neowin discount code or referral bonus, I might give it a go soon.

Work away a lot and so heating healthy when you don't always have a fridge and are on hotel breakfasts every morning and eating out every night is pretty hard.

Just had a look and: 

https://huel.com/pages/refer-a-friend-guide

At this rate we'll be taking shares out in Huel :laugh:

I'm confused why we need an "alternative" for food. It's a basic necessity. How long until science finds an "alternative" for oxygen, water, and sex? :p 

1 minute ago, Dot Matrix said:

I'm confused why we need an "alternative" for food. It's a basic necessity. How long until science finds an "alternative" for oxygen, water, and sex? :p 

I guess in this day and age, anything you can do to get things done quicker is a must for some. 

I can't see it replacing food, but using it as a very quick alternative to a meal every so often could be quite useful. Sometimes it's damned difficult to make a meal at work that isn't just a crap sandwich.

People keep saying its filling but how filling? I dont want it to be like how when you pig out at a Chinese buffet and then 20 minutes later your starving after you leave.

• Like 1

Just now, Gotenks98 said:

People keep saying its filling but how filling? I dont want it to be like how when you pig out at a Chinese buffet and then 20 minutes later your starving after you leave.

Haha so true!

5 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

And yeh I don't think this is replacing food, I'd never have it at every meal, but if you're pushed for time, or in a situation where keeping lots of fresh and healthy food around is hard, this could be a solution.

9 minutes ago, philcruicks said:

I would have to respectfully disagree. If you try it's not that difficult.

I've been working away from home 4 days a week and have managed to lose weight and get fitter (running/lifting more etc) 

I eat in a hotel breakfast each morning (tea/coffee, brown bread toast, porridge) and when I eat out at restaurants most chains now have a healthier < 500 cal option. 

Lunch at my site is limited but a fresh salad with no dressing, and some chicken if they have it. 

31 minutes ago, Gotenks98 said:

that is because they add starch to everything.  same trick student dining halls use. 

Huel seems decent in the ingredients :)   Though, as a powder, it will digest quicker. But that is not necessary a bad thing.

5 hours ago, Gotenks98 said:

I find Huel to be ththe opposite of Chinese food. When you're drinking it, it doesn't feel all that filling - your head thinks you're just drinking a milkshake, basically. But after it starts working through your system, you don't feel hungry anymore. 

At least, that's how it's been for me, but I wouldn't rule out some sort of placebo effect - I've bought into this, so I'm more likely to just be happy with it. I get a little bit snackish after a couple of hours, but I've been making 100g shakes, which is generally less than a normal meal. Since dinner is the meal I've been replacing, I'm making a 100g for dinner, then having a 50g one a bit later in the evening, and I've been fine. 

43 minutes ago, Simon said:

I find Huel to be ththe opposite of Chinese food. When you're drinking it, it doesn't feel all that filling - your head thinks you're just drinking a milkshake, basically. But after it starts working through your system, you don't feel hungry anymore. 

At least, that's how it's been for me, but I wouldn't rule out some sort of placebo effect - I've bought into this, so I'm more likely to just be happy with it. I get a little bit snackish after a couple of hours, but I've been making 100g shakes, which is generally less than a normal meal. Since dinner is the meal I've been replacing, I'm making a 100g for dinner, then having a 50g one a bit later in the evening, and I've been fine. 

Yeah, the way I am using it is this: arrive at work, about 20 minutes later, I drink a bit of it. Once it gets to lunch, I drink the majority of it, 80%. Then finish it off until the work day ends. It keeps me going throughout the day, being able to fulfil any hunger.

23 minutes ago, Jack W said:

Yeah, the way I am using it is this: arrive at work, about 20 minutes later, I drink a bit of it. Once it gets to lunch, I drink the majority of it, 80%. Then finish it off until the work day ends. It keeps me going throughout the day, being able to fulfil any hunger.

What is the flavor and texture like? Sorry if this was asked before.

15 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

What is the flavor and texture like? Sorry if this was asked before.

Flavour is whatever you want it to be - I use Huel's flavour pouches: strawberry or toffee currently, although I plan on ordering banana, coconut and coffee flavourings from them. For texture, it depends. There's some tiny lumps, which are just oats, but apart from that, it is quite smooth, depending on how thick you make it. :)