Quick poll on the UK's decision to leave the EU

Remain 48% Leave 52%  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the decision for the UK to leave the European Union?

• Yes
    • No

28 minutes ago, FunkyMike said:

To be honest I am still not certain if the actual referendum is binding. Can't the parliament simply block or stall ?

It seems that neither the Parliament or the Government are obliged to do anything.

As a matter of law, notice does not have to be served — ever — because the outcome of the referendum is not legally binding. The legislation that provided for a referendum to be held said nothing whatever about the effect of the outcome of the referendum, and the result does not place the Government under any legal obligation to secure Brexit — whether by serving notice on the European Council under Article 50 or otherwise. Put another way, the United Kingdom has not, simply by holding an advisory referendum, “decide[d] to withdraw” within the meaning of Article 50. Rather, the will of the people has been expressed through an advisory referendum, and the making of the decision whether to withdraw remains a matter for the Government.

13 minutes ago, artnada said:

So, more "young" people should have got off their asses and voted. 46,000,000 were eligible to vote, approx 33,000,000 did, and the vote was only split by less than 1,500,000.  

If you're care about something, you'll do something. It really is as simple as that. 

I'm sick of "younger "people blaming the older generation for <quote> "######## up my future." We never fckued it up, they did, by not voting!!!

It's democracy. That's how democracy works. You may not like the result, but you accept it, and move on for the good of the Country.

Yes and no, 100% with you on the more people need to vote, whether that young or old. 

My issue with a vote like that is that this is probably going to be a one off, it's not like General Election and be something that happens every 4 years. Most of the older generation that voted (either in or out) only thought about themselves and not the ramifications for generations to come. So yes it's something that "young" people say.

41 minutes ago, Louisifer said:

True but re-doing referendums till its a win for the Stays means the whole referendum is redundant. :p 

What about redoing it until you have support of at least 55% of the country?

Just now, Mirumir said:

It seems that neither the Parliament or the Government are obliged to do anything.

It may not be binding but could you imagine what would happen if they didn't follow up from what was voted?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dipsylalapo said:

It may not be binding but could you imagine what would happen if they didn't follow up from what was voted?

They could easily justify it though, look at the millions they've lost so far.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

A revolt? No.

If MPs forced a general election and a party campaigned on a promise to keep Britain in the EU, got elected and then claimed that the election mandate topped the referendum one.

Brits lead from the front, we are the first but not the last!

Going by the vote/age statistics .experience carried the vote over exuberence

c78d38ead24dc24b29028b8830ddf644.png

Edited by Arachno 1D

44 minutes ago, Mando said:

heres hoping if and when SNP get their second indy ref, people realise this time round. at least it should be more clear cut, join EU or stay in UK.

if that doesnt transpire, i suspect its time to leave the UK.

Im seriously considering it tbh, I work for an American multinational corp in IT so getting a transfer out of the UK to mainland europe should be fairly straightforward. most of my work is EMEA anyways.

Agreed. Fingers crossed we get the second indy ref and fingers crossed we get back in the EU. Possible trade deal in with London, you never know.

Failing that, I've often thought of moving to one of the Scandinavian blocks. I've got family ties dotted around and my job means i can work from any where with a net connection.

13 minutes ago, Andrew said:

If only :laugh:

Hahaha if only! I'd totally back that. Except can we also include a yellow section for London? Cheers!

This is just a friendly reminder to the residents of the U.K. of a man who could've been your President. 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Britain was neither great nor united before today.

There's an opinion that the BREXIT vote will give a new impulse to development between the Commonwealth countries as the U.K has made a civilizational choice and solidified its geopolitical power.

Spoiler

As a Canadian, I'm glad that the country of residence of my Queen will no longer be governed by an unelected supranational foreign government.

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

If only :laugh:

1.png

Might be close to happening with calls for Northern Ireland to vote if it wants to leave the UK and rejoin the Republic, and Scotland looking like it will leave the UK too

I'm glad we pulled our ###### together and voted out, enough is enough of being mugged off with all these foreigners everywhere.
Cuts to the benefits being sent back to your home lands all for that "easy life" the rest of EU seems to have the same illusion in their heads, how diminishing for them haha n bye. :D 

To be honest I didn't bother to vote even though I would've voted to remain, they said we was going to have a honest debate on the facts where in reality it was just a mud slinging contest from both sides and the one that won is the one that got the mud to stick, what's really scary thing is that most people voted on something they don't know much about out of fear with things like immigration and the likes.

As it is, we don't know where things are going to go now but it's not looking promising, Scotland is almost certain to have another vote and there is a very good chance they will pull out of the British Union because all the Scottish regions voted to remain, Northern Ireland could be next, A right can of worms has been opened up and I don't think most realise that.

We also have to remember that it's not in the EU's interest to give us good terms now because they don't want to give ideas to other that might want to pull out, so there's a good chance we're going to come out of this worse off with trade, politics, standard of living and so on, only time will tell.

But in all honesty, I think the UK or more accurately England needed out because the UK joined the EEC where the people thought it was an economic union which it was always a economic and political union, the British government at the time lied to it's own people not the EEC, I also think we'll start to get a wake up call that being out isn't what they thought it was, we're still likely going to apple a lot of EU laws and give them money just to trade with the EU trade zone, it's a bit like taxation without representation, pretty much where the UK could be heading now.

As for the EU, I think they will be fine, more so the Eurozone once the dust settles, in fact they might be better off because the UK always tried to put the brakes on the EU.

1 hour ago, Mirumir said:

This is just a friendly reminder to the residents of the U.K. of a man who could've been your President. 

Reveal hidden contents

except he wouldt have been, the UK had never agreed to lose our own internal political prime minister. ;) 

11 minutes ago, Mando said:

except he wouldt have been, the UK had never agreed to lose our own internal political prime minister. ;) 

A British PM to a EU President is like a US State Governor to a US President.

I voted to leave, I sat on the fence right up until my pencil hit the paper... in hindsight voting to stay was probably the safer option, considering the company i work for was formed with EU funding that will probably need paying back when we eventually leave. So why did I vote to leave? He who dares, wins! .. The EU is not the entire planet, I simply won't have it that the UK (or any other country) is unable to survive without the EU looking over us. We are a strong wealthy country and I have no doubt that we have the power to make our country a safer, vibrant and successful place without sending money to foreign unelected, faceless suits. So I guess it was curiosity.. I felt like we had come so far that 'what if..' would always be hanging over us if we voted to remain a part of the EU.

We might have a rough ride ahead but no country has ever left the EU before so it is impossible to say we have made a bad decision. just be thankful you had the right to vote, if you voted then you support a democracy and should therefore support the outcome. Support the country and i'm sure we will come out on top.

2 hours ago, Lamp0 said:

Heard someone suggest "Federal United Celtic Kingdom".

Sadly thats not true as the welsh are also of celtic descent yet were majority votes to leave....so it doesnt really fit. :)

3 hours ago, game_over said:

I voted to leave, I sat on the fence right up until my pencil hit the paper... in hindsight voting to stay was probably the safer option, considering the company i work for was formed with EU funding that will probably need paying back when we eventually leave. So why did I vote to leave? He who dares, wins! .. The EU is not the entire planet, I simply won't have it that the UK (or any other country) is unable to survive without the EU looking over us. We are a strong wealthy country and I have no doubt that we have the power to make our country a safer, vibrant and successful place without sending money to foreign unelected, faceless suits. So I guess it was curiosity.. I felt like we had come so far that 'what if..' would always be hanging over us if we voted to remain a part of the EU.

We might have a rough ride ahead but no country has ever left the EU before so it is impossible to say we have made a bad decision. just be thankful you had the right to vote, if you voted then you support a democracy and should therefore support the outcome. Support the country and i'm sure we will come out on top.

I do support the democratic process and the outcome for our collective nation of britain ( we are no longer united so Britain seems least offesnsive) 

But for my nation of birth, we are permitted a 2nd referendum to leave Britain to join the eu, Scotland has been shown yet again our voice do not matter a flying toss to westminster, sooner that 2nd ref happens the better imo. 

Youll get to replace the union jack with the st georges cross and welsh dragon, if Scotland and now N ireland get their way. :woot: 

Another independance ref by SNP will happen within 2 years of cameron notifying brussels via lisbon treaty.

FACT (like it or loathe it) this plays right into SNPs lap. 

Thanks english/welsh voters ;) im sure we will strike a deal to lock the price of all the water, electric, and other resources we currently sell to you ;) /s 

Edited by Mando
  • Like 2