Wrong-way driver kills 5 teens, steals police car, officials say

Members of several close-knit neighboring communities in Vermont are mourning five teenagers who died in a fiery car crash over the weekend after a vehicle traveling in the wrong direction struck them, authorities said.

Vermont Gov. Peter Shumlin ordered flags lowered to half-staff through Thursday for Eli Brookens, 16, of Waterbury, Mary Harris and Cyrus Zschau, both 16, of Moretown, Lim Hale and Janie Cozzi, both 15, from Fayston.

"The loss of five young Vermonters in such a senseless tragedy is heartbreaking," Shumlin said. "Vermont is a community, and today we share the sadness and loss of the families and friends of these teens."

Four of the teens attended Harwood Union in Duxbury, where hundreds gathered for a candlelight vigil Monday night.

The driver of the other vehicle has been identified as Steven Bourgoin, 36, of Williston, Chittenden County State's Attorney T.J. Donovan said. He has a criminal history in two other states that includes domestic violence and driving under the influence, Donovan said.

Bourgoin is in critical condition at the University of Vermont Medical Center, hospital spokesman Gary Douglas said. He will be arraigned later this week.

Bourgoin was driving on the wrong side of Interstate 89 near Williston and struck the teenager's Volkswagen Jetta late Saturday night, authorities said. The car erupted in flames, littering the highway with debris as bystanders tried to assist.

More.....

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/10/us/vermont-wrong-way-car-crash/index.html

Couple years ago on new years, I was driving home at about 2am in the morning.  4 lane highway and the roads were empty.  I normally drive in the left, fast, lane since I typically go faster than others.  Anyway, I am driving in the right lane since no one is on the road and in the distance I see headlights.  Long story short, some moron was driving on the wrong side of the road in the left lane and scared the crap out of me.   Was a total dark stretch of the road and I was going around a curve.  Fricken idiots everywhere.