Falcon 9: Echostar 23 (mission thread)

5 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

So Echostar is an expendable one ... shame. I'd love to see it land and used on a third mission.

I assume you meant second mission...new core being used but expendable....:D

No legs and no fins.....what a strange concept to grasp now.....and that bad word....expendable........:s

Just like....

1530590_694654853898193_955537395_n.jpg

image link

I've been going over a few video's for history.... these two show infrastructure advances...

First Shuttle launch Columbia 1981

video is 9:36 min.

Shuttle launch: Last launch of Atlantis on CNN

video is 4:14 min.

This is going to be a real big deal on this pad...can't wait!    :D

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Yep, my fault. I'm confusing this with SES-10. Ugh. Too much classwork going on. :|:s

The only secret .......Don't let the academic treadmill get you....

200w.gif

Hang in there....:woot:

• Like 1

Probably checking the fit and everything for the plumbing. They know how long everything needs to be (and what they need) once the TEL is on-pad, so that's a non-issue -- probably just making sure everything lines up correctly.

Good deal. Step 1 of 6. :yes: 

NASA TV is going to cover the launch because of the historical significance of LC-39A.

With T-0 being just after midnight February 3, coverage will begin late on February 2.

11:30 p.m., Thursday, February 2 - Launch coverage of SpaceX EchoStar 23 from Launch Complex 39A (starts at 11:45 p.m.) (all channels)

• Like 2

Now this is going to be cool....can't wait...

:woot:

Just realized that I'll be watching 3 feeds now......

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The 24th static fire date was for an earlier CRS-10 launch NET so it's likely to move right, but if it does end up this weekend or early next week there'll be more than a few cases of whiplash. They did say they were shooting for a 2 week turnaround.

OK, range conflicts nixed launching on Feb. 28th

March 1: Atlas V NROL-79
March 8: Delta IV Medium+, WGS-8

So,

March 12: Falcon 9, Echostar 23
March 13: backup

No stage recovery, a heavy GTO bird that in the future will be a candidate for a Falcon Heavy.

First attempt at fairing recovery.

• Like 1

This is where we miss 40 and a second crew, could have launched early....hopefully this summer/fall for 40.

:)

• Like 2

The Delta IV launch of WGS-9 has been delayed to NET March 14 due to a first stage issue. It's unknown if this will impact the Falcon 9 launch of Echostar 23 on the 12th. 

The 2 day gap may not allow a range reset, which could go 2 ways: Echostar 23 moving left at least 1 day, or Echostar 23 moving right to after WGS-9 with an appropriate gap.

• Like 1