There are many great features available to you once you register at Neowin, including:

  • Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the front page
  • Access to a great community, with a massive database of experience on hard & software issues, gaming and recreational activities, and more
  • Access to the Neowin IRC - you could make a friend from across the world and talk to them live
  • Access to Neowin contests & subscription offers and forums that are not open to guests/li>
  • It's simple, and FREE! · Register here

News articles getting mirrored to forum topics discontinued, now redirects


 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, DaveLegg said:

We're working on it, and multiple quotes is definitely on the to-do list. Bear with us, we want to be sure the updates we make are as bug-free as possible, so features will be added a few at a time, once we're sure they're ready.

one nit pick or several, is that, comments dont load immediately and while loading/scrolling it feels jerky-ish.

I do bare,  IMO the mirroing really set it apart from other news sites. my 2cents, please don't hate me :p 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

one nit pick or several, is that, comments dont load immediately and while loading/scrolling it feels jerky-ish.

 

I agree, we're considering changing that, no promises though, there were good reasons we moved to doing it that way, but we'll re-evaluate, and it may change.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DaveLegg said:

I agree, we're considering changing that, no promises though, there were good reasons we moved to doing it that way, but we'll re-evaluate, and it may change.

Ah well, one can dream!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, DaveLegg said:

We're working on it, and multiple quotes is definitely on the to-do list. Bear with us, we want to be sure the updates we make are as bug-free as possible, so features will be added a few at a time, once we're sure they're ready.

How come you've disabled mirroring before any of these quality of life features were ready for front page comments?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Luc2k said:

How come you've disabled mirroring before any of these quality of life features were ready for front page comments?

You and I have different ideas of what are deemed quality of life features. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/18/2016 at 6:04 AM, MikeChipshop said:

Sorry should have been more clear, yes the articles look much better on their intended pages, but the conversation was a lot easier to follow on the forum pages. What i actually generally did was read the article on the front page, and then jumped to the forum version for the discussion.

Same here!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MikeChipshop said:

Just a quick kudos for the new commenting highlighting on the news pages. Makes it much easier to catch up with where i was at :D

We've just added a link that will show at the top of the page if there are new comments, and will jump you right to the first unread comment when clicked:

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, DaveLegg said:

We've just added a link that will show at the top of the page if there are new comments, and will jump you right to the first unread comment when clicked

Great! Now make the articles that don't have any new comments disappear from the Unread Content section.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Luc2k said:

Great! Now make the articles that don't have any new comments disappear from the Unread Content section.

Sorry but I use the Unread Content section to find articles that I want to read and to see what have new replies. So NO!

On 12/2/2016 at 10:14 AM, DaveLegg said:

We've just added a link that will show at the top of the page if there are new comments, and will jump you right to the first unread comment when clicked:

 

Thank you Dave :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Danielx64 said:

Sorry but I use the Unread Content section to find articles that I want to read and to see what have new replies. So NO!

After you've read an article and all the comments (and no new one was posted in the meantime) you still want them remain in the Unread Content section? That's what happens on my end.

 

I think you misunderstood me.

 

LE: checked a bit and it appears like some FP articles disappear while others don't:

 

https://www.neowin.net/news/google-chrome-55-now-available-for-download - first access - disappeared after opening and refreshing Unread

https://www.neowin.net/news/global-giveaway-win-a-microsoft-lumia-650-universal-mobile-keyboard--200gb-microsd-card - opened and posted in it, but after opening it still stays in Unread even though there's no new content

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1315428-reddit-ceo-initiates-crackdown-against-039toxic039-trump-supporters/ - previously read, opened it to see new content, still remains in the Unread section (I haven't posted in it)

 

My conclusion is that FPN articles only disappear when I read them the first time. After that, they remain in the Unread Content section even after seeing the new content. Could it have anything to do with comments posted by ignored users which aren't marked as seen?

 

Edited by Luc2k
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.