What was the last movie you watched? (2017 Edition)

Saw Arrival as well, Friday. 8/10. Right between youse guys' ratings. The trailer really hyped me up, but I love alien/first contact type movies, whether they destroy everything (a la Independence Day) or more curiosity (like Contact). Or a split (like Star Trek 8: First Contact). I like all that stuff. And this movie tried to do all those things, and for the most part it did them well. Only it kicks you in the gut right from the start, and makes you spend the whole movie wondering why they needed to go there. So yeah, trigger warning, little kid dies in, like, the first ten minutes or less. Probably more like 5. It's the setup for why this college professor is wondering why no one is paying attention to her lesson. She's trying to teach and no one wants to pay any attention to her, because these dozen alien ships have touched down (or very nearly so, rather) all around the planet). And she's oblivious to the fact that everyone is all over this, because she just lost her child. Except... welll... you'll just have to watch it. It's kind of broken, but it's still a solid movie.

Not sure if I've asked before, but how do you post the poster?

• Like 1

On 07/02/2017 at 2:45 AM, dragontology said:

-snip-

I usually just google for the IMDb poster, save that to device or desktop, upload to neowin and then delete the image once I've posted.

• Like 2

It was another great acting job by Jake Gyllenhaal, and a good movie.

He does some things in the movie I have always wanted to do.  (For instance, even though he had a very successful career - he walks up to a construction site, and asks if he can just start knocking crap down, doing hard manual labor - always wanted to do that.

Capture.JPG

Watched The Social Network (i.e. the Facebook movie) last night. I originally had no intention of watching this. I think it was enough that I used Facebook for far more than I cared to admit, that I didn't need to watch a movie about it. But after watching steve jobs|, which I greatly enjoyed, I heard that Aaron Sorkin (who wrote The West Wing, The Newsroom, and that) also wrote this, I had to see it. Then I found out David Fincher directed it. What the actual frak, right?

Well, there's no grandstanding from Martin Sheen, no pious speech on why America is no longer the greatest country in the world anymore, and there's no fiery debate between Michael Fassbender and returning Sorkin heavyweight Jeff Daniels. The dialogue is good, but it's mostly just witty banter. The tech stuff feels legit (and probably is), and it has enough college life dramedy to be entertaining, but for me, the pieces just didn't come together very well. It was worth my time, but only just, which earned it a 6/10 on my scale.

Side note: Pirates of Silicon Valley was cool, but I think it's time for a 21st century Bill Gates biopic/docudrama. Or Google — The Intern didn't count.

• Like 2

I watched WarCraft Thursday night. I'd played a little of the first one, a lot of the second one (beat it at least for the Humans, I think, and did the expansion), and dabbled in the third one a bit. Never played World of WarCraft. MMORPGs aren't my thing, and after .hack//SIGN and its spinoff/whatever Sword Art Online, I'm not really inclined to... LOL. Especially when they're portrayed as a cross between 4chan and Reddit. Anyway, about the movie. You know those movies that flash a lot of style and don't have a lot of substance? Like how the 2009 Star Trek reboot was like, "Here's 23rd century Ohio, how cool is this? Here's Vulcan, how cool is this?" Except... it actually was cool. (Unless you hate the Abramsverse...) Well, WarCraft kind of does that. Only, since I'm not intimately familiar with the world of WarCraft through the games, I don't remember what any of them are. Oh, and then Ragnar Lothbrok from Vikings shows up, and this other guy, and they jet away from place to place on this gryffin like each place doesn't matter, before you realize there's some semblance of a plot there.

The movie isn't quite as awesome as it thinks it is, and it spends more time trying to convince you it's awesome rather than actually doing so. Still, it's not bad. It's not Eragon. It's not even Dungeons & Dragons, which I liked a little more than most people, though it was corny as hell. But WarCraft suffers from the same "generic fantasy movie" style where they do a poor job of covering up the template they used. And there were so many callbacks to the game. I didn't hear a peasant say, "Job's done!" but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't worked in somewhere.

Once the story gets going, it's pretty predictable, though the end was a surprise.

I gave it a 6/10... it's not great, but it's not bad, either. It's a good movie for beer and pizza night with the guys, about the male equivalent of a chick flick. Like the last couple Ninja Turtles movies (as opposed to the first two, which were much better).

• Like 1

Resident Evil, The Final Chapter

images.jpg

I've been a fan of the series since the beginning, very walking dead in some areas, the usual Res Evil action, plot and lore

7.5/10 as I don't want to give too much away.

Magnificent Seven

7/10

I actually enjoyed it.

Without giving too much away, it was a good movie, a little corny, but all in all, I'd recommend it.

MV5BMTUzNTc0NTAyM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTk1ODA5OTE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,675,1000_AL_.jpg

Passengers

7/10

Not a movie I'd have watched, my wife wanted to watch it, was surprisingly good. Was a story of a 'stranding' of sorts in Space.

MV5BMTk4MjU3MDIzOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjM2MzY2MDI@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,675,1000_AL_.jpg

I'd love to say more about both movies, but I'd risk spoilers.

• Like 2

"Lemony Snicket's a Series of Unfortunate Events (2004)"

This title offers a very high re-watch value (Y) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mirumir said:

"Lemony Snicket's a Series of Unfortunate Events (2004)"

This title offers a very high re-watch value (Y) 

Jim Carrey ftw

• Like 2

MV5BMjI1MjkzMjczMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDk4

Saw this during weekend. I've mixed feelings on a bit of things

1. Movies are for folk who don't follow the comics, perhaps a little bit more intel on what it is charles did?

2. Logan receives multiple stabs from his clone, yet that last blow to the tree was enough

3. with that green magical juice it was enough for x-24 to regenerate half a skull, but in logan it wears out pretty quickly

What I liked:

Finally a bloody wolverine! as should be! That pansy 1-2 movies were, well, lacking

Definitely movie theater worth  8/10ish just for the "plot holes" above.

• Like 2

On 2/10/2017 at 11:28 PM, Circaflex said:

Hacksaw Ridge... this movie was fantastic.

poster01.jpg

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2119532/

really want to see this :)

On 3/8/2017 at 7:46 PM, Draconian Guppy said:

MV5BMjI1MjkzMjczMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDk4

Saw this during weekend. I've mixed feelings on a bit of things

1. Movies are for folk who don't follow the comics, perhaps a little bit more intel on what it is charles did?

2. Logan receives multiple stabs from his clone, yet that last blow to the tree was enough

3. with that green magical juice it was enough for x-24 to regenerate half a skull, but in logan it wears out pretty quickly

What I liked:

Finally a bloody wolverine! as should be! That pansy 1-2 movies were, well, lacking

Definitely movie theater worth  8/10ish just for the "plot holes" above.

did you get a lump in youur throat with the two "big events" I did. Probs more with charles tbvh.

• Like 1

In a theater, I think it was Arrival.  At home, watched a bit of Money Pit last night.

Got a whole lot of catching up to do, so just mini-reviews this time (and from here on out, I think). Also, I'm linking to Trakt.TV, just because it's easier to do, and Trakt.TV movie profile pages link to IMDb (and others), and IMDb doesn't link to Trakt.TV, so, I think it's a better source. Especially in this day and age, information about movies and shows isn't enough (and Trakt provides that as well, just not as verbose), tracking it is the big thing. And that's what Trakt is all about.

Ben-Hur (2016): 8/10. I haven't seen any of the older adaptations, but the 1959 Charlton Heston version has been on my watch list forever. Maybe someday I will watch it. But this was very good. You've probably seen movies like it, but I'm sure they borrowed from the originals. Kind of like seeing HBO's Westworld and thinking, it's kind of like _____ (Jurassic Park, for one), and then realizing all those things in fact borrowed from the 1973 Westworld film... including and especially Jurassic Park (both were written by Crichton). So, like Westworld, this modern adaptation gets to build upon the pedigree of its predecessor(s), though, having not seen them, I can't say how much.

Nocturnal Animals (2016): 5/10. I originally rated this higher (a 6 or 7), but upon reflection, knocked it down a peg or two. It's not the movie the trailer sold me on, which can be a good thing if you look at how much trailers give away. But the problem is, while the "story within a story" trope can be used to great effect, I felt it fell flat here. This is just a mid-range  thriller with a useless story wrapped around it. Is it true? Is it fiction? Is this why the couple broke up? We don't really care and have no reason to. The only thing I found fit to judge here was the thriller part, and that was just very poorly executed.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014): 7/10. I was way behind on the Marvel Cinematic Universe, so I started catching up. I'm not really a fan of Captain America, but I think I liked Winter Soldier more than his first one. I forget what I rated that one, though.

Captain America: Civil War (2016): 8/10. Quite a bit better than Winter Soldier. I don't get how this is a Captain America movie and not an Avengers movie. Balance? Since Age of Ultron was more recent than Winter Soldier? I'm a bit confused by the naming. And I screwed up watching this after Ultron (which is still on the list, might watch it tonight). I think Spider-Man and Ant-Man (haven't seen that either) were the best parts here.

Passengers (2016): 8/10. Took a break from Marvel to get into some good sci-fi. There's just not enough of that these days. All around solid sci-fi movie.

Hacksaw Ridge (2016): 9/10. I'm not a fan of war movies, but I was recommended this, both by posters in this thread, and friends IRL. It sounded intriguing, so I gave it a shot. Guy refuses to handle firearms due to his religion (Seventh-Day Adventist), ends up awarded a medal of honor. It is kind of BS though. He's willing to clock his brother with a brick to win a brawl, and his father almost beats the crap out of him with a belt. Religion isn't keeping violence out of this family. The fact is, he's simply had enough, but you can't really use that as an excuse. You're not refusing to touch a gun because your religion says you can't (or you're all going to Hell, perhaps save the mother), you're refusing to touch a gun because your daddy was a mean drunk. But aside from the BS, which is really a minor point, it was a damn good movie.

Rogue One (2016): 7/10. Star Wars, since the prequels, has felt like really mediocre fan fiction. I mean, I liked the prequels, they were at least as good as Return of the Jedi (the original is by far my favorite), and they felt like they belonged. I did not like Episode 7/The Force Awakens. It just didn't feel like part of the Saga to me. And neither did Rogue One, which intentionally stands outside the Saga with the tagline (on the poster, never in the movie) "A Star Wars story." Well, the first two thirds was just bad Star Wars fan fiction, and the last third was Return of the Jedi. The last third gets the 7/10, the first parts are more like 4/10. Some parts are okay, but mostly it was boring.

X-Men Apocalypse (2016): 6/10. Back to X-Men, continuing the First Class storyline. Lots of good mutant/superhero action, and the cold open was one of the coolest I've seen, but overall I found Apocalypse and his whole stuff, outside the intro, to be boring, especially the character design. The problem I have with the X-Men is that they're all so overpowered, that when they lose, it feels like it's because the plot needs them to. There's no balance, it's all plot armor and plot weakness.

Assassin's Creed (2016): 4/10. Really expected more from this one. The games all take place in the near future, but thrust you into the past via the 'ancestral memories' concept, but really, it's just an excuse to claim historical accuracy (which they aim for). But playing the game, we tend to care more for the past story than we do about the guy in the Animus machine. This movie sort of splits the story. We don't get a cohesive narrative with the assassin, but rather a few disjoined memories, and instead we spend more time with the descendant, and that's spoiled by knowing how the first game ended. Was it ever apparent he was working with anyone else but his enemy? There is one scene that tries to emulate the action from the game, but it's about twice as long as it needed to be, and got pretty unbelievable.

Star Trek Beyond (2016): 8/10. I've seen this before, but re-watched it over the weekend. I wanted a sure thing, and this one has some pretty good action. It's not quite as good as the last two, but it's about average for Star Trek movies, most of which are pretty good (except for the very first one). The Beastie Boys thing was dumb, though. JJ Abrams really needs to stop shoehorning the Beastie Boys into Star Trek. It was funny the first time, okay the second time, but this time the jig is up.

Revenge (2011-2015): 10/10. Not a movie, but a show. I finished watching it Sunday night (for the second time!) and thought I'd throw it on the pile, since it doesn't get enough attention. One of the best shows I've seen, and I've seen quite a lot. It's basically a 21st-century Count of Monte Cristo with socialites. The main character's father was set up for aiding terrorists in a 9/11-like attack, sent to prison, and murdered there. But he set her up with a secret fortune and all the details of the conspiracy that put him away. So his daughter changes her name, moves into their old house, and sets out to systematically take down the conspiracy. Oh, and it's set up like a soap opera, so everything's just so over-the-top. But it's a lot of fun with no filler. And it's on Netflix, so you probably already have access to it. Just, uh, try not to flip any tables over at the season finales, particularly the second and third ones. Oh, and it really held up to a second viewing, the second time. I don't think I'll watch it a third time, at least not for a couple years. I put about a year between the first two, but now I can't imagine watching it again in the foreseeable future. After a few months, I'll probably want to go through it again, though. Shame you can't get it on Blu-ray. DVD only, so if you want to watch it in HD, you gotta watch it on Netflix.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dragontology said:

Passengers (2016): 8/10. Took a break from Marvel to get into some good sci-fi. There's just not enough of that these days. All around solid sci-fi movie.

Hacksaw Ridge (2016): 9/10. I'm not a fan of war movies, but I was recommended this, both by posters in this thread, and friends IRL. It sounded intriguing, so I gave it a shot. Guy refuses to handle firearms due to his religion (Seventh-Day Adventist), ends up awarded a medal of honor. It is kind of BS though. He's willing to clock his brother with a brick to win a brawl, and his father almost beats the crap out of him with a belt. Religion isn't keeping violence out of this family. The fact is, he's simply had enough, but you can't really use that as an excuse. You're not refusing to touch a gun because your religion says you can't (or you're all going to Hell, perhaps save the mother), you're refusing to touch a gun because your daddy was a mean drunk. But aside from the BS, which is really a minor point, it was a damn good movie.

Only a couple things.  I just watched Hacksaw, so maybe I am giving it credit as a plea to emotions.  However, I think there is another way to look at the plot:
It would seems the episode with the brick to his brother's head is what made him a devout christian.  He was a kid, it scared him that he could have killed him - it was only after that instance, that he changed.
The scene with the gun and his father, made it appear that it went off as an accident during a fight.  (Of course, they dont implicitly explain the feelings behind that fight. and the discharge of the gun)
Religion doesnt keep violence away, but that doesnt stop people from being religious.  In fact, most wars are religion-based, so....  
I am an ardent atheist, but I was able to keep that in check, and enjoy the movie for what it was.

Just my 2 cents.

I want to watch Revenge after reading your summary.

Also, the original Revenge movie (not the same, I know) with Kevin Costner and Madeline Stowe was great.  

I decided to watch XXX Return of Xander Cage, of course I wasn't expecting much going in - but my god what a stupid movie.  I felt sorry for Donnie Yen.

The scene in the jungle where it miraculously turned from night to day in an instant ?!?!  WTF is that all about ?  Like they ran out of money/time and just said "oh screw it, just print it.."

What an absolutely terribly stupid movie.  I like action movies, but that was just dumb on so many levels.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, T3X4S said:

Only a couple things.  I just watched Hacksaw, so maybe I am giving it credit as a plea to emotions.  However, I think there is another way to look at the plot:
It would seems the episode with the brick to his brother's head is what made him a devout christian.  He was a kid, it scared him that he could have killed him - it was only after that instance, that he changed.
The scene with the gun and his father, made it appear that it went off as an accident during a fight.  (Of course, they dont implicitly explain the feelings behind that fight. and the discharge of the gun)
Religion doesnt keep violence away, but that doesnt stop people from being religious.  In fact, most wars are religion-based, so....  
I am an ardent atheist, but I was able to keep that in check, and enjoy the movie for what it was.

Just my 2 cents.

I want to watch Revenge after reading your summary.

Also, the original Revenge movie (not the same, I know) with Kevin Costner and Madeline Stowe was great.  

I decided to watch XXX Return of Xander Cage, of course I wasn't expecting much going in - but my god what a stupid movie.  I felt sorry for Donnie Yen.

The scene in the jungle where it miraculously turned from night to day in an instant ?!?!  WTF is that all about ?  Like they ran out of money/time and just said "oh screw it, just print it.."

What an absolutely terribly stupid movie.  I like action movies, but that was just dumb on so many levels.  

You don't have to suspend disbelief to enjoy a good action movie. Just some of them. Like the Fast/Furious franchise, except those are pretty good. I saw the first xXx and wasn't impressed. Vin Diesel is cool, but it wasn't that good. I'll probably skip the second one. I had no intention of seeing it.

The only connection the Kevin Costner movie has to the TV show is that Madeline Stowe is in both of them. So it's got to be kind of interesting for her to do another project with the same name. Weird though, that it flew under my radar back then. It came out in, what, 1990? (Yep.) I was watching a lot of his movies then. Robin Hood, Waterworld, Dances With Wolves, even Field of Dreams. But I think those all came later. And we didn't really have IMDb back then to track down an actor's discography; it was like, "Oh, new so-and-so movie, I'll have to try to remember to see that." I guess you know how it was.

I'm Atheist too — don't really want to get too into that, in case we have religious people here. There's probably a good religious and/or Atheism topic in one of the other forums. Best not to make others feel excluded, at least, for my part. ;) I just don't know how to discuss religion in a way that's fair to all believers and non-believers, so for the sake of a good story, I tend to just accept it at face value. Same way I accept teleporters in Star Trek.

• Like 2

Superman

10/10

It just happened to be on tv over the weekend

superman_the_movie_keyart.thumb.jpg.9eda8c4b2c3e34b87e6bc51ae3f4041c.jpg

A classic, I saw the banner for the movie to show, figured, it would be ok to watch during lunch...

One by one, (in under 10 minutes) all of my children came into the living room, all 3 of them sat and watched it with my wife and I, silently throughout the whole thing.

What better praise can I give it??

(No point in offering a synopsis, as it's decades old <1978>)

• Like 3