What was the last movie you watched? (2017 Edition)

3 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

My wife and I found this by accident on Netflix and we really enjoyed it! I would give a 8/10

I was surprised when I watched it also, Sofia, all doll'd up, and still was humble enough to help him fulfil his dream.

When I first saw her character, I thought to myself, 'Oh here we go, an uptight snob wife about to destroy her lower income husband....'

XXX The return of Zander Cage

xxx-return-of-xander-cage-blu-ray-cover-14.thumb.jpg.6a601f281cc672851daa4872272af4b5.jpg

5.5/10

Was a very entertaining movie, but some of the scenes were borderline ridiculous, those who have seen the movie will know the 2 major scenes I'm talking about, they both involve skis/outrggers.

Terrible CG in some parts (see above), no Rammstein Soundtrack, the only plus is I think I'm slightly in love with Ruby Rose :wub:

• Like 3

The Great Wall

6.5+/10

images.thumb.jpg.3aa8d25190f499046c6fe798d3efc9a0.jpg

My wife rented this from Amazon Video... Was surprisingly watchable, great effects, 'fantasy' elements were pretty good (some parts felt LotR Elvish) all in all I enjoyed it, considering it was a title I would normally have just passed by.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Fate of the Furious (2017): 9/10. I hate to admit it, but these movies just do it for me. I saw the first one when it was new and it was alright. The second one... eh, it was fine. When Tokyo Drift came out, I was like, okay, I'm not into the street racing scene, so I'm out, and I ignored the rest of them. Then Paul Walker died and 7 just blew up, and everyone was saying it was the new Dark Knight (star dies, movie goes supernova). So, I watched all of them, from the first one, and found that I actually enjoyed them, and they got better and better. And 7 was pretty much everything everyone said it was. Well, with 8, they turned it up to 11. I don't know how they're going to top this one, but I imagine Vin Diesel's already on it. These movies are pretty formulaic, but the effects are good and they're a lot of fun. They're basically action fantasy films with cars. If you don't like these movies, this one could make you a believer... if you really don't like these movies, this one isn't going to change that. But if you liked the others, you'll probably love this one, but it should be noted that we're getting farther from illegal street races and heists and more into "what family means to Dominic Toretto." Of course, this movie has those things, but it almost feels like they're just there to prop up this other thing. Still, this is an action movie that will hold up.

The Mummy (2017) - 7/10

The_Mummy_(2017).jpg

Considering what the critics made of the film, I was somewhat apprehensive about this film. However when I watched this film, I really enjoyed it. Yes, there are some flaws and problems, but I can overlook those. I enjoyed the action and the setup of the new universe.

Wonder Woman 2017. Haven't seen anything this awful and I must say stupid in a while. I can't make up my mind which was worse, direction, story, script, character development, characters, acting or 3D effects. 

1/10  

Tron_Legacy_poster.jpg

Hadn't seen TRON:Legacy in a long time and it came to mind earlier so, I gave it another viewing. Visually unmatched, it's a work of art both from the visual perspective obviously but also from the audio soundtrack done so brilliantly by Daft Punk. I never would have expected them - considering their main genre and style of music they produce - to be able to produce a nearly perfect blend of not only some really thumping tunes but also a lot of fairly emotional aspects as well. From the bass heavy "End Of Line" club scene fight and the scenes of Flynn's recollection of his betrayal by CLU as "Adagio For Tron" plays in the background it's just awesome from the beginning of the movie to the very last notes at the end of the credits.

I'm also a huge fan of TRON:Uprising, the Disney animated series and I really wish Disney hadn't killed it so fast. All hope of a potential sequel to Legacy is now history as well - Disney has this crazy idea that people aren't interested in such things but that's because they're stupid and they don't actually listen to the fans telling them "HELL YES WE ARE, YOU IDIOTS, MAKE THE MOVIES, KEEP THE ANIMATED SERIES GOING..." so that's that I suppose.

I know a lot of folks don't like TRON:Legacy all that much, and I am older now and I'll admit I saw the original TRON in theaters on the day of release and I love them both equally, and Uprising was and will always be awesome even in spite of just the one season which I thankfully own.

It's sad when studios just put making money over anything else - if they'd make the movies the fans want to see they actually would end up making money, but consistently making stuff nobody cares about (for Disney one of those recently was "Tomorrowland" which never should have gotten out of the planning stages, really, it's just that bad) and tossing millions of bucks down the drain the way they do, well, screw 'em and I just won't spend money with 'em if they won't make what I want to see.

TRON:Legacy I'd give an easy 9/10 only because there are no 10's. :)

TRON:Uprising I'd give a 9/10 as well, same with the original TRON itself.

That's my $.02 and some change...  ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Alien: Covenant

Personally I think it had a lot of plot holes, bad story and was not scary at all. The original Alien film is 100% better than this, shame really as I was looking forward to watching this one.

• Like 1

Kimi no na wa (Your Name.) (2017): 10/10, all the hype is real. Watch it. The trailer sells it as a movie about two teenagers who switch bodies. That's about as accurate as saying Black Snake Moan was about an old black man who keeps a young white woman chained up in his rural Southern home. I mean, that's where all the marketing is, but the truth is, it's like a third of the movie, it's not the whole thing. What Kimi no na wa is actually about... I won't say. It's a spoiler. Though, I will say they hint to it on the poster, though I didn't realize what I was looking at until after. Then it's like, "ah... how'd I overlook that?" The film is actually really big on little details. In fact, the animators slipped a prediction in about what the new iPhone looks like (the last part of the movie takes place in 2018). I actually just made a topic about the prediction, with a picture, over in the iPhone forum here on Neowin. Anyway, it's a fun film, it's an exciting film, and to the guy above me in the Tron review who said there are no 10s... yes there are. Now get out there and find them. You can start with Kimi no na wa, but the best anime film out there that I've seen is called Wolf Children. Look for that one, too. Forget everything you think you know about anime before watching these two, too. They're really beautiful films that don't fit any traditional description of anime that I've ever heard.

The End of Evangelion (1997): Have you ever had a movie or show just mess with your head? Evangelion is like that. It starts out with teenagers piloting these Evas (giant cyborg/machines) that fight alien invaders they call "Angels"... and it just gets weird. The movie takes place after the series, and it's at the peak of the weirdness. You probably can't just watch this on its own, and I don't recommend trying. It wouldn't make any sense. I mean, it didn't make any sense to me, either, and I've seen the series. It's been called one of the best anime movies of all time, but I just don't see it. There is a cool fight scene when best girl Asuka takes down a bunch of rival Evas, but most of the movie is nonsensical weirdness. And the less said about that opening scene, the better. I gave it a 6/10, which would probably bother fans of the series. I liked the series well enough, but I don't think the ending was this great masterpiece some think it is, I think it's just weird.

War For The Planet Of The Apes

Look, OK - I enjoyed it for what it was, and a decent output from Harrelson for a change, little subtleties that he's been missing of late.  I actually really enjoyed the whole "This is leading up to an Apocalypse Now..." setup, but did it REALLY need writing on the wall?  Do we need these things spelled out quite that literally?

And I will say that I felt the CGI was poorer than Rise...  The horse chase scene was just awkwardly bad.

• Like 1

Willow (1988): 7/10, yes it was my first time seeing it. There are a bunch of old movies I just missed, though I've caught bits and pieces of this one over the years. Decided to finally sit down and watch it. It was... a cheesy 80s action movie with some comedy elements, but overall it was pretty good, if a little silly. But mostly enjoyable.

On 7/18/2017 at 5:09 AM, Nefarious Trigger said:

War For The Planet Of The Apes

Yeah, the last one wasn't that great. I liked the first reboot, I believe it had Mark Wahlberg in it. I mean, it wasn't a masterpiece, but I loved the ending at least. And then the reboot after that... the one that had Draco Malfoy working in the lab. That one was alright.

The very first Planet of the Apes was one of my father's favorite movies (along with Enemy Mine). He liked a kind of sci-fi that made you think. I once sat down and watched all five of the old Planet of the Apes movies. They're all at least decent, and from what I remember, better than the new ones. They're not great though, they're just decent. I wouldn't call the first one great, either... it's like a joke that takes too long to get to the punch line. And it's funny, Spaceballs spoiled me on the ending. And that's the best part. When you realize... and what that implies. The 2001 reboot did the same thing, a different way. The newer ones are more direct about it. It's no secret that the "planet of the apes" is Earth anymore. They shove that in your face. Big fight on the Golden Gate Bridge! Without that epic reveal, it's just an action movie with humans vs animals, and there's really no reason for us to fight apes. No, it's more about their independence as their own race with their own culture, and who knows what all real life races they're drawing parallels to. If any. It could just be an action movie. I'm just not a fan of the direction the new movies are taking, but I will probably see it eventually, as a fan of the older ones.

Fun fact though, and I only found this out recently, the guy who plays the ape Caesar, is Andy Serkis, who did the voice acting and motion capture for Gollum in the Lord of the Rings movies. And he does the mo-cap for Caesar as well. So he's an interesting actor. Yeah, I saw him reading the Trump tweets on, I forget what late night show, it's not Letterman, I think he retired... Conan? I honestly don't know. It wasn't that funny. Now if he'd read a few more... the gag could have gone places, but it just didn't.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dragontology said:

Fun fact though, and I only found this out recently, the guy who plays the ape Caesar, is Andy Serkis, who did the voice acting and motion capture for Gollum in the Lord of the Rings movies.

This is massively known, Serkis is basically the god of motion capture.

• Like 2

Timecop 2: The Berlin Decision (2003) (Y) 

Dunno how I missed it before. Watched it last night for the first time and enjoyed it a lot!

If you liked the original Timecop with Jean-Claude Van Damme, you just gotta watch this one!

• Like 1

Watched the new King Arthur movie few nights ago, I think it's underrated, I enjoyed it, sure it isn't great but not terrible either, I'd give it a 6/10.   Shame they spent too much money on it, $175 million, WB does some crazy stuff, they could've made the same movie for $75-$85 million easy.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The Circle (2017): Pretty good movie... not great, as it rode the wish fulfillment train just a little too long, kept me wondering where the conflict is. It's actually quite a lot like the British series Black Mirror, in which the scary implications of technology are examined if carried out to their logical conclusion. And in fact, this story overlaps with a couple Black Mirror episodes. So it's fun to watch (except a couple cringey parts) but will likely not be very memorable. 7/10

The Dark Tower (2017): I saw this one on opening day at 19:19. They made such a big deal about getting things like that right, and now, just a few days later, the studio is in full damage control, having paid shills defending the movie and trying to discredit detractors. Basically, Stephen King fans hate this movie. First, they went and made Roland black, because the idea of a black woman racist toward a white man was not palatable enough for the suits at Sony. So their solution was to just make Roland black. Which is fine. Idris Elba made a fine enough Roland, though the character had zero depth and development. Don't blame a good actor for a bad script. As a fan of the Dark Tower books and Stephen King in general, this was a terrible adaptation. Giving it a 1/10 would be generous. But I didn't pick up a Dark Tower book... I went to see a movie about The Dark Tower. I went in knowing, I paid for my ticket knowing that they took an eight book series and compressed it into a 90 minute PG-13 film. Honestly I went in expecting a 1/10 movie. All that being said, it was a cool movie, it was fun, and it was a solid 6/10 action movie. Above average. But when you look at the depth of the source material, it's just pathetic. But as Stephen King said about Under the Dome, another abysmal failure of a Stephen King adaptation, if you want the unchanged book, it's still sitting on your shelf. Read that instead. I could re-read the Dark Tower books. But, I chose to watch a crappy 90 minute adaptation. I got what I paid for. If you haven't read the books, then it's just another forgettable action film that is, if nothing else, a good accompaniment to a pizza and a six-pack of beer. (Doesn't even have to be good pizza and beer.) A movie to watch with your buds, or your girls, whatever the case may be.

On 7/30/2017 at 5:23 AM, George P said:

Watched the new King Arthur movie few nights ago, I think it's underrated, I enjoyed it, sure it isn't great but not terrible either, I'd give it a 6/10.   Shame they spent too much money on it, $175 million, WB does some crazy stuff, they could've made the same movie for $75-$85 million easy.

Next on my to-watch list. Charlie Hunnam is pretty good... of course he did well in Sons of Anarchy. There's also the movie The Ledge with Liv Tyler co-starring, as well, if you're a fan of his work. I'd like to see him work with Travis Fimmel (Ragnar on Vikings) someday, they have a similar style, I think they could be brothers in the right kind of movie.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Death Note (2017): Netflix-produced adaptation of the anime of the same name (also on Netflix), or possibly the manga the anime is based on; about a high school kid who finds a death god's killer notebook. He can kill mostly just by writing a name, so he starts taking out criminals, but in spite of trying to make the world a better place, he attracts the attention of a mysterious and anonymous detective known only as "L," who is determined to identify him and bring him to justice. As much as I enjoyed the good parts of the anime, it went off the rails to fill a season longer than it legitimately had content for. The movie fixes this mistake and is relatively short and to the point. It's getting a ton of bad press, mostly by fans of the anime who haven't actually seen it. But the truth is, it's pretty solid. 8/10. Like The Dark Tower, I'm rating this solely on its own merits, not as an adaptation. I've never read the manga anyway, so all I have to go on is the anime adaptation, which again, I took some issues with.

• Like 1

Watched the mummy reboot, i enjoyed it overall but the story was told in such a hand holding way that it almost ruined it.  The tone and the characters were good, action was fine, just the story.   I don't get why they took the time to explain all the backstory to start the movie only to rehash a good deal of it again through the 2nd act!  They should've left the explanation bit they did at the start out of it, worked the first act a bit better without it and then explain things through act 1 and 2 without the hand holding. 

Overall I'd give it a 5/10.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

went to see the Assassins bodyguard tonight, wasnt expecting much.....

but found it funny as hell, very likeable and the cast were superb. Funnier than Deadpool (and that was superb) Salma H as a foul mouthed pyschopath with a big romantic heart, genuinely funny, same with Reynolds and Jackson. 

9 outta 10 from me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mando said:

went to see the Assassins bodyguard tonight, wasnt expecting much.....

but found it funny as hell, very likeable and the cast were superb. Funnier than Deadpool (and that was superb) Salma H as a foul mouthed pyschopath with a big romantic heart, genuinely funny, same with Reynolds and Jackson. 

9 outta 10 from me.

I thought it was hilarious as well. Better than I thought. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

I thought it was hilarious as well. Better than I thought. 

yup im tempted to go back and see it again, it was also fun playing spot the areas of Amsterdam :D man i know that city better than I should ;) 

Picked up the bluray of Guardians of the Galaxy 2 on the way home, will rewatch that later tonight, see if its as enjoyable as i remember at the cinema.

• Like 1

Watched Wonder Woman, reviews are spot on, 7.5/10, the last 15mins are it's weak point.  

Also I agree with you guys, the hitman's bodyguard was funny, it has it's silly over the top moments for sure but I'd give it a solid 7/10.  It could have gotten a higher score if the story was a bit more suspenseful, but it's not, you know pretty much how things are going to go down, doesn't make you guess much etc.

• Like 2