What was the last movie you watched? (2017 Edition)

• 2 weeks later...

New batch. Again tossing a series in because it was so good. Hint: Netflix's newest. Okay, onward.

Ant-Man (2015). Watched this a couple weeks ago actually. So that's how far back I'm going. Best of the Marvel movies I've seen in a while. Saw this guy in Captain America: Civil War and I was impressed, and his movie didn't disappoint. 8/10

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997). Going back to my high school years here (graduated HS 1998). Missed the boat on this one and just found it largely unfunny. Everyone says it was better when it was new, not so much now. I concur with the latter part. Decided not to watch the other two. 5/10

The Founder (2016). The story of sleazy businessman Ray Kroc and how he basically "stole" McDonald's. Decent movie if you're into business drama, but it got off to a rocky start. It's decent in the beginning, but once it picks up steam, it's pretty good. 7/10

13 Reasons Why (Series, 2017). Holy crap. This was damn good. High school girl kills herself, and 13 tapes, each dedicated to a classmate whose actions led to her suicide, get passed around the unlucky bunch. It's not really a revenge story, but it's almost set up like one. And while its elements make you think it's not for teenagers, it absolutely is, in the same way people should watch Requiem for a Dream to hammer home the message that drugs are bad, m'kay?, except about teen suicide, depression, and a little thing called "consent." I shouldn't say more, but the fact that Netflix of all services/networks is throwing up viewer discretion flags (which AFAIK they've never done before?) should tell you this is some hardcore stuff. If you've read the book,

Spoiler

yes, they show the party scene. And the hot tub scene. And the actual suicide (this isn't a spoiler, it's the whole premise), which changes from pills to wrist slashing. And they don't flinch away from any of it.

This show will probably mess with your head. And, if you're like me, you'll tear right through it. It's the surprise hit of 2017 that Stranger Things was for 2016. 10/10

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2017 at 9:46 AM, dragontology said:

New batch. Again tossing a series in because it was so good. Hint: Netflix's newest. Okay, onward.

Ant-Man (2015). Watched this a couple weeks ago actually. So that's how far back I'm going. Best of the Marvel movies I've seen in a while. Saw this guy in Captain America: Civil War and I was impressed, and his movie didn't disappoint. 8/10

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997). Going back to my high school years here (graduated HS 1998). Missed the boat on this one and just found it largely unfunny. Everyone says it was better when it was new, not so much now. I concur with the latter part. Decided not to watch the other two. 5/10

The Founder (2016). The story of sleazy businessman Ray Kroc and how he basically "stole" McDonald's. Decent movie if you're into business drama, but it got off to a rocky start. It's decent in the beginning, but once it picks up steam, it's pretty good. 7/10

13 Reasons Why (Series, 2017). Holy crap. This was damn good. High school girl kills herself, and 13 tapes, each dedicated to a classmate whose actions led to her suicide, get passed around the unlucky bunch. It's not really a revenge story, but it's almost set up like one. And while its elements make you think it's not for teenagers, it absolutely is, in the same way people should watch Requiem for a Dream to hammer home the message that drugs are bad, m'kay?, except about teen suicide, depression, and a little thing called "consent." I shouldn't say more, but the fact that Netflix of all services/networks is throwing up viewer discretion flags (which AFAIK they've never done before?) should tell you this is some hardcore stuff. If you've read the book,

Reveal hidden contents

yes, they show the party scene. And the hot tub scene. And the actual suicide (this isn't a spoiler, it's the whole premise), which changes from pills to wrist slashing. And they don't flinch away from any of it.

This show will probably mess with your head. And, if you're like me, you'll tear right through it. It's the surprise hit of 2017 that Stranger Things was for 2016. 10/10

Goldmember is probs the funniest AP movie tbh.

Watched Independence Day Resurrection last night....oh dear I want those 110mins back.

2/10 just for Brent Spiner flashing his butt cheeks, struggling to recall anything else worth remembering on that turd.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2017 at 10:43 AM, Mando said:

Watched Independence Day Resurrection last night....oh dear I want those 110mins back.

2/10 just for Brent Spiner flashing his butt cheeks, struggling to recall anything else worth remembering on that turd.

So I'm better off not seeing the second Independence Day? Kind of on the fence there. I saw the first one so many times in the theater. Bought it on VHS, DVD, and Blu-ray. One of the few I've bought on three formats. (I also have it on digital, legally, because the Blu-ray came with a digital copy.) I wouldn't say it's one of my favorite movies, but I do like it quite a bit. It wasn't just the pretty explosions, either. It had a good story, and made for a complete action adventure film with just the right amounts of sci-fi and comedy (I know you did NOT shoot that green **** at me!). The same people made Stargate, which I liked a little more (though, I have yet to get it on Blu-ray).

Back to topic, I haven't watched an unseen movie since I watched The Founder back in April. I'm looking forward to Kimi no na wa ("Your name.") but that's looking like a late July release. Animated movie from Japan about two teenagers who switch bodies off an on due to a comet passing by (and yes they do exactly what you'd expect, who wouldn't?), and they gradually fall in love and decide to meet. It came to theaters, but naturally, not around here. I don't know if it's politics or population, but despite both, Japanese stuff has a pretty big following here. Probably due to the colleges. NC is a big college and military state. So a lot of younger people come through here.

Recently re-watched Westworld (1973) (8/10) with my wife after finishing the recent HBO series. I think I rate the series higher, but I really like the movie. It's got elements from both Jurassic Park and the first Terminator, and it predates both. It's really not as good as I give it credit for (the characters are horribly inconsistent, they can't decide if the park is called Westworld or Western World, for one), but it's a solid action flick. And then re-watched Wanted (2008) (9/10) on my own. I was reminded of it in conversation with a friend, and I had to see it again. I bumped my rating from 8 to 9 (sometimes, I adjust my ratings) because it really was a good movie. I think we can set aside the stupid bullet bending as long as we're not criticizing the damned loom that uses its mistakes to tell people who to kill. It's a stupid mechanic that, minor spoiler, even Morgan Freeman thinks is BS, and he says as much. And how about that healing wax? They also give away the big twist pretty early on, and it's only just a little subtle (you might miss it). So this is not a movie that takes itself very seriously. It's a lot of fun, though. People get hung up on the bullet bending as an excuse to dump on the movie, and in doing so, miss the point.

I got around to watching Logan last night, it was good but I personally wouldn't give it such a high review score like others, 8/10 at best I'd say.   I could live with the way it ended, and the fact it leaves things open for future films, but I'm just a big Wolverine fan so.

11 hours ago, dragontology said:

So I'm better off not seeing the second Independence Day? Kind of on the fence there. I saw the first one so many times in the theater. Bought it on VHS, DVD, and Blu-ray. One of the few I've bought on three formats. (I also have it on digital, legally, because the Blu-ray came with a digital copy.) I wouldn't say it's one of my favorite movies, but I do like it quite a bit. It wasn't just the pretty explosions, either. It had a good story, and made for a complete action adventure film with just the right amounts of sci-fi and comedy (I know you did NOT shoot that green **** at me!). The same people made Stargate, which I liked a little more (though, I have yet to get it on Blu-ray).

Back to topic, I haven't watched an unseen movie since I watched The Founder back in April. I'm looking forward to Kimi no na wa ("Your name.") but that's looking like a late July release. Animated movie from Japan about two teenagers who switch bodies off an on due to a comet passing by (and yes they do exactly what you'd expect, who wouldn't?), and they gradually fall in love and decide to meet. It came to theaters, but naturally, not around here. I don't know if it's politics or population, but despite both, Japanese stuff has a pretty big following here. Probably due to the colleges. NC is a big college and military state. So a lot of younger people come through here.

Recently re-watched Westworld (1973) (8/10) with my wife after finishing the recent HBO series. I think I rate the series higher, but I really like the movie. It's got elements from both Jurassic Park and the first Terminator, and it predates both. It's really not as good as I give it credit for (the characters are horribly inconsistent, they can't decide if the park is called Westworld or Western World, for one), but it's a solid action flick. And then re-watched Wanted (2008) (9/10) on my own. I was reminded of it in conversation with a friend, and I had to see it again. I bumped my rating from 8 to 9 (sometimes, I adjust my ratings) because it really was a good movie. I think we can set aside the stupid bullet bending as long as we're not criticizing the damned loom that uses its mistakes to tell people who to kill. It's a stupid mechanic that, minor spoiler, even Morgan Freeman thinks is BS, and he says as much. And how about that healing wax? They also give away the big twist pretty early on, and it's only just a little subtle (you might miss it). So this is not a movie that takes itself very seriously. It's a lot of fun, though. People get hung up on the bullet bending as an excuse to dump on the movie, and in doing so, miss the point.

IMO , save yourself the horror. Truly awful, no story as such, cobbled together and instantly forgettable.  Almost no comedy value at all...bar Brent spiner flashing his butt cheeks in one scene. That was pretty much it, put it this way, it made Battleships look like Gone with the Wind........

The Lego Batman Movie

13735783_1211035558915337_1757619073098035960_o.thumb.jpg.c7f0e108d62e81e55692d75f90fb6a39.jpg

10/10

As ridiculous as it is funny, completely stupid and bonkers in every way, and much better than Batman v Superman, which set the bar pretty low any way. 

• Like 2

John Wick Ch 2  -  7/10  Great Movie.  The first one was surprising it was so good, and the expectations were high for this because of that.  I loved the no holding back - tap everyone in the head, blood all over the place.
john-wick-2-guns.thumb.jpg.238954708550a4d05266e116e0ca39a6.jpg

Split  - 7/10 Great acting.  Good Story.  Crazy surprise ending made it even cooler.
592da53e0448f_MV5BZTJiNGM2NjItNDRiYy00ZjY0LTgwNTItZDBmZGRlODQ4YThkL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjY5ODI4NDk@._V1_SY1000_CR006751000_AL_.thumb.jpg.a81a40ea16a1ccabe8f43e6da3cdd55f.jpg

Lone Survivor -  7/10.  Love gritty war movies showing how things can go sideways at every corner.  I loved the realism of this one and some 1st class acting/actors in this one only made it better.

Lone_Survivor_poster.thumb.jpg.2ab78cc06c78ead1670bff93bd68ed51.jpg

• Like 2

Last one watched was Café Society yesterday. Really well done, Amazon is on a roll.

• Like 1

Couple over the weekend.

A Cure for Wellness (2017): Decent movie that isn't as clever as it thinks it is, but is nice to look at. A lot of fluff extended the length to about 2 and a half hours. Overall it was worth watching and not a terrible waste of time, but you could do a lot better. 6/10

Logan (2017): A complete surprise. Go see it. The best of the X-Men movies, albeit completely different. 9/10

• Like 2

Gifted

IMDB

8/10 ?

Chris Evans' character struggles with raising a child prodigy. 
Some good twists, great acting all around, and a good story.

An excellent movie.

5936f0dbb4c9f_MV5BMjQ2NDU3NDE0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjA3OTg0MDI@._V1_SY1000_CR006751000_AL_.thumb.jpg.acc9f961aa54acfbd34da43b32f4cff8.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T3X4S said:

Yeah - thats one of those I dont think I can watch.

You should give it a chance. It's got some fun moments in it and it's not over-dramatic.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

You should give it a chance. It's got some fun moments in it and it's not over-dramatic.

OK - I'll give it a shot.  There are some movies when my fiance sees it before me, if there is a scene she thinks I wont like, she warns me.

(Usually based around something happening to a dog - John Wick, Legend)... other than that - meh.

But I'll watch it tonight, Im always trying to find something new to watch @ night after she goes to sleep.  -Thx

• Like 2

10 hours ago, T3X4S said:

OK - I'll give it a shot.  There are some movies when my fiance sees it before me, if there is a scene she thinks I wont like, she warns me.

(Usually based around something happening to a dog - John Wick, Legend)... other than that - meh.

But I'll watch it tonight, Im always trying to find something new to watch @ night after she goes to sleep.  -Thx

You're welcome! Hope you'll like it.

Actually, one of the biggest aspects I've appreciated about this film is Amblin Entertainment. To me, this logo acts like a stamp of quality. Their story-telling is quite unique.

The project just cost $22 MIO and it's netted already ten times as much. This means the ROI on it, its yield was twice bigger relative to that of the other blockbuster hits.

The title has some scenes featuring the most seamless CGI that I've seen despite its relatively low budget.

• Like 2

Wonder Woman. Fantastic movie. The best DC one by a mile.

• Like 2

The Mummy (2017)

Multi-movie Universes are all the rage now.

Spends more time setting up other movies of the 'Dark Universe' than concentrate on the Mummy. Very weak acting (I liked Russell Crowe though), pathetic jokes, lots of missing logic and I personally felt I could direct this better.

A thumbs down from me. Hopefully other movies in this universe don't disappoint.

• Like 1

Late to the game with this one but I finally got around to seeing the Batman lego movie, it was ok, had it's parts, I just can't get into a silly version of batman at this point.  

• Like 1

On 6/7/2017 at 9:00 AM, patseguin said:

Wonder Woman. Fantastic movie. The best DC one by a mile.

Just saw it tonight with a buddy of mine and his son, we all liked it a lot. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2017 at 8:00 PM, Circaflex said:

I am a few years late with this one, but I absolutely loved Chef. It was a true feel-good movie IMO.

MV5BMTY5NTYzNTA1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODIw

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2883512/

My wife and I found this by accident on Netflix and we really enjoyed it! I would give a 8/10

My niece 'forced' me to watch this:

MV5BMTk2NjI5NzgwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDc4

But it was really silly and funny 7/10

• Like 2