What was the last movie you watched? (2017 Edition)

On 15/09/2017 at 0:11 PM, George P said:

Depp just doesn't care anymore and wants the huge disney paycheck

Yup!

On 22/09/2017 at 6:08 AM, Xahid said:

Transformers, The Last Knight

Sat and watched, attentively.  About 2/3 of the way in, I said to myself "What the hell is even happening right now?"

On 17/10/2017 at 6:03 AM, dragontology said:

I know, I know, it's a kids movie

Oh sweet lord, it is so not!  It was marketed to an audience that would slap it into that box, but if you follow any European storytelling, it's very much not a kids film :) 

2 hours ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Sat and watched, attentively.  About 2/3 of the way in, I said to myself "What the hell is even happening right now?"

Explosion explosion and explosions ...

Yesterday watched War for the planet of the apes: its unnecessary lengthy and un-required emotional.

Didn't like it.

4 hours ago, patseguin said:

Best thing about that movie was the cool Stark-made suit.

Last movie I watched was one called Frozen last night. About 3 people stranded on a ski lift. Not the best acting, but I really enjoyed it.

lol I thought you meant elsa for a second :p lol

Gawd i hate cutsey disney cartoons, or musicals for that matter, combined, arrg hell on earth! Original Jungle book OK ill let that slide, the rest good lord no :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wind River, it's very good, slow burn but worth it IMO.   Not every movie has to be fast paced from start to finish.  9/10.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Thor Ragnorok last night, it was a fun movie for sure, but the story wasn't anything to write home about.  The fact is, the comedy and lighter tone helped hold things up, if it was trying to be more serious and didn't have the comedy it wouldn't been Thor 2 all over again.   I'd give it a 7/10 personally.  

Blade Runner 2049

Near perfect, tragic dystopian story of an individual caught up in a tide of upcoming global changes. An emotionally charged story of shifting realities. The entire crew of the movie did justice to original Blade Runner. Best cinema experience of the decade so far, IMHO.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I watched Kingsman: Golden Circle, horrible movie maybe 4 out of 10 just for the action scenes, the acting was horrible as was the story, the only part of the movie that was 'funny' was Sir Elton John. I also watched the Hitman's Bodyguard, loved it 8 out of 10, Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L Jackson make a very unlikely pair, but the humor is certainly there!

• Like 2

Oi! Forgot about this thread. Got a few. I'll try to keep them short.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017): 7/10, very busy movie with special effects and weirdness from the creator of The Fifth Element, and it feels like that kind of movie, but it's a little more style than substance. Still a lot of fun, though.

Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale (2017): 8;/10. Feature film that takes place after the anime series' second season, and (I'm guessing) attempts to bridge author Reki Kawahara's VR story (SAO) with his AR story (Accel World). Following all the VR horror, everyone is using AR now, with Bluetooth headsets that can render a virtual world and overlay it over the wearer's vision, and they're able to fight in the real world in special events where they clear an area and have virtual battles. However, like in Kawahara's VR story, there's a lot more to the technology, and the heroes from the anime must stop what's going on. It's interesting, but it's not quite as good as the show. If you didn't like the show, you're not gonna like the movie, though.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle (2017): 7/10. It's literally just like the first one, but it relies too much on the first one, so I took a star off for that. Still a heck of a lot of fun, though. If you liked the first one, this is more of the same, but it doesn't do anything new.

The LEGO Movie (2014): 7/10. You guys know this movie's free, right? Sign up for Disney's Movies Anywhere (free) and link at least two accounts (Amazon, iTunes, Google, and Vudu) and not only do all purchases copy over to the rest, but you also get five free movies. This, Big Hero 6, the new Ghostbusters, Ice Age, and Jason Bourne. So this was better than I expected. It's silly, but fun. Cool to see characters from a bunch of different franchises working together and/or making cameo appearances.

Bright (2017): 7/10. New Netflix movie. It was alright. Would have liked to see more of the Orc/Elf lore. The actual story was just okay, but the world they created had a lot of potential.

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017): 7/10. Finally got to see this one. Got it for my wife for Christmas, and we watched it that night (last night). It was good, but Spider-Man kept getting hamstrung by Iron Man, which got old fast. Probably would have been better without shoehorning Iron Man into it.

...yeah, I do a lot of 7/10 ratings. It's my "it was okay" rating. It means I had no real problems with the movie. So I guess I grade on a high curve. I don't like movies I rate 5-6, but I don't hate them. Movies I hate, I rate 4 or lower, and there are 4 degrees of how much a movie can bother me. I very rarely rate that low, and I don't have a system. Going up, 8 meant I enjoyed it, 9 menat I really enjoyed it, and 10 basically means it's bordering on perfection in my book. Here's a list of all my ratings — I see I've never rated a movie a 1.

• Jim K unpinned this topic