What are you listening to? (2017 Edition)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I guess you all are posting them without context. Well, I discovered this band about a year ago, through my wife, who found them on Pandora. Japanese alt. rock band, they mix Japanese and English lyrics together, or sometimes use just one or the other. Their English (or at least their singer's) has since improved, and he now almost sounds like a native speaker. Beautiful music though, on another level. Most similar to Linkin Park or Thirty Seconds to Mars, I guess.

This is them 2 years later in 2015. If you'd played this as audio to me with no context and told me they were an American band, born and raised here, I wouldn't question it, unless I saw them. I mean he almost doesn't sound Japanese at all, but he is, born and raised. In their 2017 album, his accent is 99% gone.

They're on all the streaming services, but there's a Japanese version of their latest album that has more Japanese lyrics, a version of one song with Avril Lavigne on guest vocals (apparently, she's big there, and one band member married her sister or something), and a few songs the English one doesn't have (also missing a few the English one has). That one is like $80 though, and not on streaming/digital (except YouTube and unauthorized).

Best band I've heard in a long time. The rabbit hole goes quite deep. So many good songs and videos. If you dig 'em, check out the "live mixes" (made by a fan) on YouTube. I've never seen anything like it, but I'm not gonna spam the thread. Also, if you're ever feeling down about any tragedy, cue up "Be the light." It was made for the nuclear meltdown in Japan, I believe, but it's designed to apply to any tragedy (I got a real post-9/11 vibe from it). It's probably their best song, certainly one of the most passionate ones.

• 2 weeks later...

The Deftones are one of my all-time favorite bands, finding the b-sides disc years ago opened my eyes and helped me realize how good Chino really is. I loved the original by Duran Duran, but this cover just gives me chills. I almost prefer it to the original. Happy Friday to everyone and hopefully you get to enjoy a 3-day weekend.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

The Deftones are one of my all-time favorite bands, finding the b-sides disc years ago opened my eyes and helped me realize how good Chino really is. I loved the original by Duran Duran, but this cover just gives me chills. I almost prefer it to the original. Happy Friday to everyone and hopefully you get to enjoy a 3-day weekend.

If you haven't already heard it, there is also 'B-Sides & Rarities Vol.2'. It's a fan made collection of covers and old B sides which Deftones have done; it's not as highly produced obviously or has the biggest hits, but still good. Track list:

Can't Even Breathe
Teething
To Have and To Hold [Depeche Mode cover]
Nightboat [Duran Duran cover]
Damone
The Boy's Republic
Sleepwalk [Santo & Johnny cover]
Lovers
Drive [Cars cover]
Jealous Guy [John Lennon cover]
Cherry Waves [Acoustic]
The Boy's Republic [Acoustic instrumental]
Sweetest Perfection [Depeche Mode cover]
FYIHYD (###### You, I Hope You Die)

:heart: the overdrive outro on Chauffeur :punk:

10 minutes ago, Andrew said:

If you haven't already heard it, there is also 'B-Sides & Rarities Vol.2'. It's a fan made collection of covers and old B sides which Deftones have done; it's not as highly produced obviously or has the biggest hits, but still good. Track list:

Can't Even Breathe
Teething
To Have and To Hold [Depeche Mode cover]
Nightboat [Duran Duran cover]
Damone
The Boy's Republic
Sleepwalk [Santo & Johnny cover]
Lovers
Drive [Cars cover]
Jealous Guy [John Lennon cover]
Cherry Waves [Acoustic]
The Boy's Republic [Acoustic instrumental]
Sweetest Perfection [Depeche Mode cover]
FYIHYD (###### You, I Hope You Die)

:heart: the overdrive outro on Chauffeur :punk:

You're the man, I will check it out!

WOW. Night boat and FYIHYD are both incredible.

Edited by Circaflex