What are you listening to? (2017 Edition)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I guess you all are posting them without context. Well, I discovered this band about a year ago, through my wife, who found them on Pandora. Japanese alt. rock band, they mix Japanese and English lyrics together, or sometimes use just one or the other. Their English (or at least their singer's) has since improved, and he now almost sounds like a native speaker. Beautiful music though, on another level. Most similar to Linkin Park or Thirty Seconds to Mars, I guess.

This is them 2 years later in 2015. If you'd played this as audio to me with no context and told me they were an American band, born and raised here, I wouldn't question it, unless I saw them. I mean he almost doesn't sound Japanese at all, but he is, born and raised. In their 2017 album, his accent is 99% gone.

They're on all the streaming services, but there's a Japanese version of their latest album that has more Japanese lyrics, a version of one song with Avril Lavigne on guest vocals (apparently, she's big there, and one band member married her sister or something), and a few songs the English one doesn't have (also missing a few the English one has). That one is like $80 though, and not on streaming/digital (except YouTube and unauthorized).

Best band I've heard in a long time. The rabbit hole goes quite deep. So many good songs and videos. If you dig 'em, check out the "live mixes" (made by a fan) on YouTube. I've never seen anything like it, but I'm not gonna spam the thread. Also, if you're ever feeling down about any tragedy, cue up "Be the light." It was made for the nuclear meltdown in Japan, I believe, but it's designed to apply to any tragedy (I got a real post-9/11 vibe from it). It's probably their best song, certainly one of the most passionate ones.

• 2 weeks later...

The Deftones are one of my all-time favorite bands, finding the b-sides disc years ago opened my eyes and helped me realize how good Chino really is. I loved the original by Duran Duran, but this cover just gives me chills. I almost prefer it to the original. Happy Friday to everyone and hopefully you get to enjoy a 3-day weekend.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

The Deftones are one of my all-time favorite bands, finding the b-sides disc years ago opened my eyes and helped me realize how good Chino really is. I loved the original by Duran Duran, but this cover just gives me chills. I almost prefer it to the original. Happy Friday to everyone and hopefully you get to enjoy a 3-day weekend.

If you haven't already heard it, there is also 'B-Sides & Rarities Vol.2'. It's a fan made collection of covers and old B sides which Deftones have done; it's not as highly produced obviously or has the biggest hits, but still good. Track list:

Can't Even Breathe
Teething
To Have and To Hold [Depeche Mode cover]
Nightboat [Duran Duran cover]
Damone
The Boy's Republic
Sleepwalk [Santo & Johnny cover]
Lovers
Drive [Cars cover]
Jealous Guy [John Lennon cover]
Cherry Waves [Acoustic]
The Boy's Republic [Acoustic instrumental]
Sweetest Perfection [Depeche Mode cover]
FYIHYD (###### You, I Hope You Die)

:heart: the overdrive outro on Chauffeur :punk:

10 minutes ago, Andrew said:

If you haven't already heard it, there is also 'B-Sides & Rarities Vol.2'. It's a fan made collection of covers and old B sides which Deftones have done; it's not as highly produced obviously or has the biggest hits, but still good. Track list:

Can't Even Breathe
Teething
To Have and To Hold [Depeche Mode cover]
Nightboat [Duran Duran cover]
Damone
The Boy's Republic
Sleepwalk [Santo & Johnny cover]
Lovers
Drive [Cars cover]
Jealous Guy [John Lennon cover]
Cherry Waves [Acoustic]
The Boy's Republic [Acoustic instrumental]
Sweetest Perfection [Depeche Mode cover]
FYIHYD (###### You, I Hope You Die)

:heart: the overdrive outro on Chauffeur :punk:

You're the man, I will check it out!

WOW. Night boat and FYIHYD are both incredible.

Edited by Circaflex

• Andrew locked and unpinned this topic
This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      iTunes 12.12.1.1
      by Razvan Serea

iTunes is a free application for Windows PCs. It plays all your digital music and video. It syncs content to your iPod, iPhone, and Apple TV. And it's an entertainment superstore that stays open 24/7.

Organize your music into playlists Edit file information Record compact discs Copy files to an iPod or other digital audio player Purchase music and videos on the Internet through the built-in iTunes store Run a visualizer to display graphical effects in time to the music Encode music into a number of different audio formats. Download: iTunes 12.12.1.1 (64-bit) | 200.0 MB (Freeware)
      Download: iTunes 12.12.1.1 (32-bit) | 171.0 MB
      Links: Apple iTunes Website

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Usama Jawad96
      YouTube is forcing popular Discord music bot Rythm offline, millions impacted
      by Usama Jawad

YouTube has recently been on the warpath against Discord music bots. For those unaware, this piece of technology allows users to play music from YouTube videos on Discord servers. Citing copyright violations, Google first shut down the Groovy bot a couple of weeks ago, and now, it is forcing Rythm offline.

Rythm is a massively popular music bot which was installed on 20 million Discord servers and was being used by over 560 million people. Yoav, who is the developer behind the bot, stated that the service was being powered by over 4TB of RAM and 1,000 CPU cores. Google's cease-and-desist letter states that Rythm should be shut down within seven days, and the developers are complying and shuttering the service on September 15.

The shutdown does not only impact 560 million end-users but also the bot's developer who was involved in this project in a full-time capacity. In a statement to The Verge, Yoav went on to say that:

The bot's official website echoes similar sentiments, but an interesting note over there also emphasizes that work is underway on "something brand new in the music space that will revolutionize how we all listen to music". As such, the Rythm team has advised users to keep the bot installed on their servers. It remains to be seen what the developers have in store, keeping in view YouTube's copyright restrictions.

• By Copernic
      iTunes 12.11.4
      by Razvan Serea

iTunes is a free application for Windows PCs. It plays all your digital music and video. It syncs content to your iPod, iPhone, and Apple TV. And it's an entertainment superstore that stays open 24/7.

Organize your music into playlists Edit file information Record compact discs Copy files to an iPod or other digital audio player Purchase music and videos on the Internet through the built-in iTunes store Run a visualizer to display graphical effects in time to the music Encode music into a number of different audio formats. Changes in iTunes 12.11.4:

This update includes security improvements and adds support for new devices. Download: iTunes 12.11.4 (32-bit) | 171.0 MB (Freeware)
      Download: iTunes 12.11.4 (64-bit) | 200.0 MB
      Links: Apple iTunes Website

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Spotify is testing a cheaper, ad-supported plan that lets you infinitely skip songs
      by Jay Bonggolto

Cheaper subscription tiers are becoming a thing among streaming platforms in an attempt to lure consumers into their paid services. Earlier, YouTube confirmed that it's testing Premium Lite in some European countries, allowing subscribers to watch videos uninterrupted by ads for €6.99 per month.

Now, Spotify appears to be trialing a new cheaper plan called Spotify Plus that combines some capabilities of its free and paid tiers. For $0.99 per month, you can skip an unlimited number of songs per hour and listen to specific titles in an album or playlist. However, you'll have to bear with the ads just like in the free plan if you wish to gain access to those capabilities for a cheaper price.

Spotify confirmed the report in a statement to The Verge:

The current free tier allows you to skip only up to six songs per hour. And while you can select specific tracks to play in specific collections such as “Discover Weekly” and “Daily Mix”, you'll only be able to listen to shuffled songs in all other albums and playlists. If you want to avoid those restrictions, you can opt for the service's paid plan which currently costs $9.99 per month.

Spotify, however, cautioned that the experimental tier may not necessarily roll out in its current form in the future. And if ever it does, it remains to be seen how the cheaper tier will help convert free users into paying subscribers.

Source: The Verge

• By Chandrakant
      Amazon introduces The Golden Era Vinyl subscription service
      by Chandrakant Isi

Vinyl records, the last bastion of analog music in this digital world, has been making a strong comeback. Last year, over 27 million LPs were sold in the US. It is a clear indication that not only the nostalgic folks but also the newer generation has a fascination for vinyl records. To make most of this trend, Amazon, which already lists hundreds of thousand records in its catalog, has announced a new vinyl subscription service.

Dubbed as 'Vinyl of the Month Club: The Golden Era', it offers a single album on vinyl every month. For those not in the know, the golden era of vinyl refers to the 60s and 70s. The service seems like a good idea for young vinyl enthusiasts planning to build their collection. Amazon claims that a monthly record is picked by its experts at Amazon Music. So far, Amazon has revealed that subscribers will get a chance to enjoy the work of legendary artists such as Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Miles Davis, and Fleetwood Mac.

Upon subscribing to the service, you can find out the current month's album from Amazon's orders page. If you already own that album or it doesn't interest you, simply skip the month's package from the 'Manage Your Subscriptions' page. Amazon also allows subscribers to return a vinyl as long as its packing is intact.

Amazon's Vinyl of the Month Club subscription costs $24.99 per month. The pricing is not bad considering that the cost of popular LPs varies wildly. For instance, Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti currently sells for $34.69 on Amazon.

Amazon's idea seems inspired by the Columbia Record Club from the 50s. Conceived in 1955, it was the first venture to offer music through the mail. The company offered a complimentary record to boost its membership numbers. It was a huge success back then as the company was shipping over seven million vinyl records by 1957.