[Suggestion] Likes/Rep System


 Share

Recommended Posts

This is mainly directed towards @Steven P. or some of the developers here. A few other forums I frequent have a rep/like system, similar to what we have on Neowin. The one major difference is you will sometimes be prompted to "Spread rep around before giving this user rep" or something similar. Does IPB have this option? Is this something Neowin has thought about?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds interesting.  For clarification, does this mean you would be able to rep more than one person in one or two clicks? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Raze said:

Sounds interesting.  For clarification, does this mean you would be able to rep more than one person in one or two clicks? 

In a forum I was on that had this system, you give a person a rep and the amount of the rep is based on your reputation so it is weighted. You also had to give 5 other users a rep before you can give the same person another rep. This was on a vBullitin Forum, not sure if it would work on IPB?

@DaveLegg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Gary7 said:

In a forum I was on that had this system, you give a person a rep and the amount of the rep is based on your reputation so it is weighted. You also had to give 5 other users a rep before you can give the same person another rep. This was on a vBullitin Forum, not sure if it would work on IPB?

@DaveLegg

Thank you for the additional information.  Much better than the OP provided.  Appreciated very much, Gary.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

Don't see the point really, reddit doesn't restrict upvotes, facebook, etc.

It was just an Idea. The best method would be to use the rep system in the tech threads and what we have now in the rest. But I doubt that there can be two separate systems..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This isn't Facebook, nor is it Reddit, this is Neowin. I don't necessarily care if you find it pointless or not, I brought this suggestion up as a possible way to resolve some of the likes abuse, that IMO, has gone on over the last month.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Circaflex said:

This isn't Facebook, nor is it Reddit, this is Neowin. I don't necessarily care if you find it pointless or not, I brought this suggestion up as a possible way to resolve some of the likes abuse, that IMO, has gone on over the last month.

you sound like this :rofl:

 

giphy.gif

 

It's all good mate, I was merely expressing my thoughts :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Circaflex said:

This isn't Facebook, nor is it Reddit, this is Neowin. I don't necessarily care if you find it pointless or not, I brought this suggestion up as a possible way to resolve some of the likes abuse, that IMO, has gone on over the last month.

I can understand your statement. I did summon a Dev about this. It probably cannot be done here or the Dev just ignored it. Maybe he is talking to the staff about it or other Dev's. I do not know.:)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd much rather see a dislike button being implemented. And after a post has received 10 or 20 dislikes, it'll be automatically hidden, but still remain view-able if you click on it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mirumir said:

I'd much rather see a dislike button being implemented. And after a post has received 10 or 20 dislikes, it'll be automatically hidden, but still remain view-able if you click on it.

Are you serious? This would not go over well. If you do not like a certain member there is an Ignore feature.  I have been in many Forums and have never seen this.

  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Gary7 said:

Are you serious? This would not go over well. If you do not like a certain member there is an Ignore feature.  I have been in many Forums and have never seen this.

That's the point. I don't like the ignore feature; I've never used it because I'm an optimist. And I'd rather let the community decide and filter the posts for everyone else, myself included. Everyone would still be able to view the hidden post and upvote it if they want to. The possibilities with the algorithms are endless.

 

The forums at Guardian, Disqus (I think) and some other platforms feature this option. And the world hasn't ended yet :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

That's the point. I don't like the ignore feature; I've never used it because I'm an optimist. And I'd rather let the community decide and filter the posts for everyone else, myself included. Everyone would still be able to view the hidden post and upvote it if they want to. The possibilities with the algorithms are endless.

 

The forums at Guardian, Disqus (I think) and some other platforms feature this option. And the world hasn't ended yet :) 

I have never been to those two but a dislike button can and would be construed as a Hate Button which already has been brought up. This forum and this world needs more love and likes. The OP is about likes/rep:)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

I have never been to those two but a dislike button can and would be construed as a Hate Button which already has been brought up. This forum and this world needs more love and likes. The OP is about likes/rep:)

I'm all for it. Which is why I think it can be a good idea to be able to hide those hateful posts without the mods' intervention and save them some time in the process.

 

Imagine how much cleaner some threads around here would've been if we had such a feature.

 

Anyway, the dislike button concept was discussed here in the past and I didn't mean to derail this thread from its topic :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gary7 said:

Are you serious? This would not go over well. If you do not like a certain member there is an Ignore feature.  I have been in many Forums and have never seen this.

Dude, you have not been on "many" forums if you haven't seen the dislike/downvote option before. LOL You have never been on reddit? You really should venture out of the bubble called Neowin more and check out the rest of the Internet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

Dude, you have not been on "many" forums if you haven't seen the dislike/downvote option before. LOL You have never been on reddit? You really should venture out of the bubble called Neowin more and check out the rest of the Internet.

(N)

 

:laugh:

 

There, there.

 

Let us all take a deep breath now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

Dude, you have not been on "many" forums if you haven't seen the dislike/downvote option before. LOL You have never been on reddit? You really should venture out of the bubble called Neowin more and check out the rest of the Internet.

Maybe people should stay on topic. I have never been on Reddit and this is not about Reddit or any other site, This is about Neowin./

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

Dude, you have not been on "many" forums if you haven't seen the dislike/downvote option before. LOL You have never been on reddit? You really should venture out of the bubble called Neowin more and check out the rest of the Internet.

I agree with @Gary7. I've been on loads of forums, but I can't see Neowin benefiting from a downvote system. I can see it being abused.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, John. said:

I agree with @Gary7. I've been on loads of forums, but I can't see Neowin benefiting from a downvote system. I can see it being abused.

I think you quoted the wrong person, I didn't suggest a downvote system. LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yea, downvotes i don't care for, but i'm not getting the point where you have to like 5 other people's posts before you like a 2nd post from the same person.

 

for example, if i like a post from gary here, then look at another post and see a post from gary that i like.  before i 'like' it, i have to go 'like' 5 other random posts?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, oldtimefighter said:

I think you quoted the wrong person, I didn't suggest a downvote system. LOL

I know, but the person you quoted did, and I agree with him, like I said.

 

EDIT: Although I'm very quickly warming to the idea ;) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are no plans to put a dislike/downvote option in place. The temptation to abuse it would be too much for some people.

 

There is a very loose reputation system in place already which is based on how much others have liked your content:

 

bfohu1I.png

 

However, it is pointless. I think it is there because it has to be in order for the like button, but it has absolutely zero bearing on someone's reputation. Instead, I use the system as a way to see how much an individual post from someone is appreciated by the community. The only way for the reputation system to have any meaning is if we introduced a dislike option, but you can refer to my opening sentence for how that is as an idea. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Neowin had upvote system on this forum before...  they disabled/removed it because no one was using it much. I remember they had it on some topics but I don't see it anywhere on Neowin.   Which they had upvote on the left side of each post.

 

1 minute ago, oldtimefighter said:

I think you quoted the wrong person, I didn't suggest a downvote system. LOL

No he didn't ... you WERE talking about it. Read your post again. He agreed Gary which he was telling you that he agreed with him.  

 

If Neowin put that feature on here, it will be abused.   

 

Not gonna happen. Period. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nick H. said:

There are no plans to put a dislike/downvote option in place. The temptation to abuse it would be too much for some people.

 

There is a very loose reputation system in place already which is based on how much others have liked your content:

 

bfohu1I.png

 

However, it is pointless. I think it is there because it has to be in order for the like button, but it has absolutely zero bearing on someone's reputation. Instead, I use the system as a way to see how much an individual post from someone is appreciated by the community. The only way for the reputation system to have any meaning is if we introduced a dislike option, but you can refer to my opening sentence for how that is as an idea. ;)

Couldn't've put it better myself 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Andrew locked this topic
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.