Double notifications

8 minutes ago, dragontology said:

Then tell the guy who suggested it was. I was merely being thorough; as, I assume, were you.

The notification that told me you quoted me didn't double, though I'm sure we established that it was front-page notifications only.

I would have, had I known who said it. Its painfully obvious that its not browser related, because the browser isn't what triggers the notifications. Yes, its established that it is front page notifications only, which is a in-house solution (and nobody seems to know how to fix).

4 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

I would have, had I known who said it. Its painfully obvious that its not browser related, because the browser isn't what triggers the notifications. Yes, its established that it is front page notifications only, which is a in-house solution (and nobody seems to know how to fix).

You're a developer, therefore I would assume you'd understand the concept of prioritising bug reports and allocating developer time accordingly. Over the past few weeks we've been working on other features that are far more important to the site than a small annoyance which only affects a small fraction of our member base, which itself is a small fraction of our overall readership. Issues that have been fixed in the past few weeks include:

• Solving a problem where a user who reads a lot of articles may be faced with an HTTP error preventing them from loading the site at all
  • Ensuring adverts display correctly across the site, in partnership with our ad providers, including replacing a lot of the ad code that should result in better and quicker loading adverts
  • Verifying that our news view tracking is accurate, so that our authors are paid correctly for the work that they put in
  • Fixing an integration issue with a system staff use for communication behind the scenes
  • Optimising some slow queries that were causing issues with particular areas of the site, so the site now loads faster
  • And more

I'm sure you would agree that those things are a higher priority to the site than the small issue of seeing the same notification twice, which affects a tiny proportion of our membership, and can just be ignored with no negative impact.

As for nobody seems to know how to fix, I took a look just now - first time I've looked at this, and within two minutes had it fixed.

Please bear in mind that we have a small team here, and we have a lot to work on, not just small issues that affect you @adrynalyne

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DaveLegg said:

You're a developer, therefore I would assume you'd understand the concept of prioritising bug reports and allocating developer time accordingly. Over the past few weeks we've been working on other features that are far more important to the site than a small annoyance which only affects a small fraction of our member base, which itself is a small fraction of our overall readership. Issues that have been fixed in the past few weeks include:

• Solving a problem where a user who reads a lot of articles may be faced with an HTTP error preventing them from loading the site at all
  • Ensuring adverts display correctly across the site, in partnership with our ad providers, including replacing a lot of the ad code that should result in better and quicker loading adverts
  • Verifying that our news view tracking is accurate, so that our authors are paid correctly for the work that they put in
  • Fixing an integration issue with a system staff use for communication behind the scenes
  • Optimising some slow queries that were causing issues with particular areas of the site, so the site now loads faster
  • And more

I'm sure you would agree that those things are a higher priority to the site than the small issue of seeing the same notification twice, which affects a tiny proportion of our membership, and can just be ignored with no negative impact.

As for nobody seems to know how to fix, I took a look just now - first time I've looked at this, and within two minutes had it fixed.

Please bear in mind that we have a small team here, and we have a lot to work on, not just small issues that affect you @adrynalyne

Quite familiar with prioritizing. Seeming how someone already worked on it once and it did not pan out, it apparently was higher priority at one point. I know if I left an in production bug for months on end without communication, I'd be left looking for a new job. 

This isn't an issue that just affects me and I'm on a small team too. We juggle several projects at once and honestly, I offered to help at one point, for free even and was talked down to regarding it. So if you don't have enough man power, that's on you guys and you guys alone. 

Here  is something that you as a developer should also understand: customer communication is key. How often do you as a developer let us know what your punch list is? Whether I am a subscriber or not, my visiting increases ad revenue, making me a customer.  Right? If a bug goes unanswered for months without communication, only a couple assumptions can be made, one of which it has stumped you guys. Why did my comment actually spur the 2 minute fix so many months later? Are you prioritizing work without ever looking at it first?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Are you prioritizing work without ever looking at it first?

I did find that interesting. Then again he knew what the bug was. 

7 hours ago, DaveLegg said:

• And more

Spoiler

Like-A-Boss-PNG-Pic.png

But seriously, if it took two minutes :huh: why not do it before? 

Edit: I see this can go interpreted as "I WANT RESULTS NAUUUUUUUUU" but given all this priority talks, if this was such an easy fix in very little time?

Edited by Draconian Guppy

16 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I did find that interesting. Then again he knew what the bug was. 

Where I work, part of prioritizing is giving time estimates to fix. You can't do that effectively if you never even look at the issue, even if just for a moment. 

This is a minor issue.  I am sure there are other things that are more important to work on.  In the mean time, people just need to be patient.  It is not impacting functionality of the forums or blocking access to content.

24 minutes ago, techbeck said:

This is a minor issue.  I am sure there are other things that are more important to work on.  In the mean time, people just need to be patient.  It is not impacting functionality of the forums or blocking access to content.

I was patient for two months. 

It is a minor issue....not impacting performance or forum usage.   Just ignore it for now.

I have issues at work all the time I need to prioritize.  This would be on the bottom of my list even if it may be a 2 minute fix.

36 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Where I work, part of prioritizing is giving time estimates to fix. You can't do that effectively if you never even look at the issue, even if just for a moment. 

I agree, instead of finding out just now for the last 2 months he didn't even look at the code to see if it was something he had to move down the line for another time, we find out after 2 months he just now looked.

A simple post saying, I haven't looked at it yet but it is .. X on my list. would have great.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, techbeck said:

It is a minor issue....not impacting performance or forum usage.   Just ignore it for now.

I have issues at work all the time I need to prioritize.  This would be on the bottom of my list even if it may be a 2 minute fix.

I guess we view customer value differently. If it takes two minutes, you know, the time to go get a coffee, just do it and scratch it off the list. It serves good will with the customer  and took almost none of your time. 

• Like 1

Just now, adrynalyne said:

I guess we view customer value differently. If it takes two minutes, you know, the time to go get a coffee, just do it and scratch it off the list. It serves good will with the customer  and took almost none of your time. 

This is something my users will not complain about and even if they did, I would explain to them I know there is more pressing things to deal with.    This is the type of thing I do when I do not have projects/other tasks I deal with.  If was impacting performance or causing issues, it would move to the top of my list.

7 minutes ago, warwagon said:

A simple post saying, I haven't looked at it yet but it is .. X on my list. would have great.

I agree on this.  Proper communication.

2 minutes ago, techbeck said:

This is something my users will not complain about and even if they did, I would explain to them I know there is more pressing things to deal with.    This is the type of thing I do when I do not have projects/other tasks I deal with.  If was impacting performance or causing issues, it would move to the top of my list.

I agree on this.  Proper communication.

Your users won't complain about it? These users have complained about it. 

• Like 1

Just now, adrynalyne said:

Your users won't complain about it? These users have complained about it. 

My point is my users would not complain or worry about since a minor issue.   Yes, a few here have complained.  I just dont see the big issue.

2 minutes ago, techbeck said:

My point is my users would not complain or worry about since a minor issue.   Yes, a few here have complained.  I just dont see the big issue.

I get it that you don't, but you are just one person. I've seen at least two threads on this. Knowing your customer base is also good business. In my case, my customers would complain about something like this so I address them as I can, and if it's super quick, I get customer appreciation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

I get it that you don't, but you are just one person. I've seen at least two threads on this. Knowing your customer base is also good business. In my case, my customers would complain about something like this so I address them as I can, and if it's super quick, I get customer appreciation. 

Different work environments make a difference I guess.   I get a lot of appreciation as well but I also communicate well with my users.

5 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Different work environments make a difference I guess.   I get a lot of appreciation as well but I also communicate well with my users.

Communication is definitely key. 

• Like 1