Ex-Russian Lawmaker Who Turned on Putin Shot Dead in Kiev

Former Russian MP killed in Kiev: Moscow guilty by default?

The murder in the Ukrainian capital, Kiev of the former deputy of the Russian State Duma, Denis Voronenkov, was quickly interpreted as “a Russian crime” by both Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko and the anti-Russia hawks in the West.

For the moment, events are unfolding in the usual way for high-profile killings of the last 25 years: even in the total absence of evidence, the Kremlin is accused of being behind the murder, and the impression of “Russia being tied to it in one way or another” is almost forced on the public.

Associated Press, for instance, came out with a headline that reads “Ukraine: Russian Agent Killed Kremlin Critic.” 

Meanwhile, at the moment of AP’s publication, it was only known that the suspected killer, Pavlo Parshov, was a Ukrainian citizen and previously served in the National Guard, a Ukrainian paramilitary force popular with ultra-nationalists. The agency cited Anton Gerashchenko, an adviser to Ukraine's interior minister, who wrote on his Facebook page that Parshov “underwent a special course at a school for saboteurs.” He didn’t explain “how that information was obtained,” AP added, but the headline about the “Russian agent” was still presented to the public.

Who profits? And who is the killer?

The logic of both Poroshenko and McCain is the same: since Voronenkov promised to present some evidence against the former Ukrainian president, ousted from power by a violent “people’s coup” in 2014, Russia must be behind his murder. The facts – that Voronenkov was involved in large-scale criminal schemes, had a lot of business enemies in both Russia and Ukraine, and was not a more reliable witness than the late Berezovsky – obviously do not impress Poroshenko or McCain.

In fact, when the identity of the killer, Pavlo Parshov, 28, was revealed by the Ukrainian Interior Ministry the day after the murder, the version about “Russian terrorists behind Voronenkov’s murder” started to capsize. The late Parshov was born in 1988, three years before the collapse of the Soviet Union. In 1991, he became a citizen of Ukraine together with more than 40 million other Ukrainian citizens, and, officially, he never left the borders of Ukraine.

In 2015, Parshov joined the so-called 'Ukrainian National Guard' – a voluntary paramilitary force initially created for the suppression of the rebellion in Donbass, and mostly filled with extremist Ukrainian nationalists recruited among the former Maidan rebels. This does not jive well with Poroshenko’s theory of Parshov being a Russian agent. Why would a Russian agent go to Donbass to quell the rebellion of the Russian-speaking population there?

On 3/23/2017 at 11:29 AM, techbeck said:

Wouldn't be surprised of Russia had the guy killed.

Well, it's like I said: Russia/Putin would clearly have no issue killing those they deem to be traitors.

Of course, people are still going on about why there aren't Russian whistleblowers, as if they're going to sign their own death warrant to implicate a corrupt man as being corrupt.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dead.cell said:

Well, it's like I said: Russia/Putin would clearly have no issue killing those they deem to be traitors.

Naw, that is western media/propaganda...

I think if people knew what the governments did behind the scenes, I am sure there are a lot more of these assassinations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, techbeck said:

Naw, that is western media/propaganda...

I think if people knew what the governments did behind the scenes, I am sure there are a lot more of these assassinations.

Like cars turning into the guardrail all by themselves. :laugh:

Actually made myself sad now... :/ 

11 hours ago, Hum said:

Surprising that no one goes after Putin.

In the past, Russia experienced a number of big terrorist attacks aimed at sawing chaos and undermining the government.

There were also a few large-scale Soros-funded anti-governmental protests which took place in Russia and were akin to what we saw in Syria and the Ukraine.

I'm sure the security services have also averted direct attacks on Putin.

The enemies of Russia never sleep. The whole Chechen affair was masterminded by them.

On 27/03/2017 at 6:10 PM, Circaflex said:

That is nothing more than Russian backed propaganda.

There was an attempt recently in 2014 .. unfortunately 298 innocent people died instead. Russian media mentioned it once and then all reporting stopped and the topic shifted.

On 3/29/2017 at 4:54 AM, Mirumir said:

I'm sure the security services have also averted direct attacks on Putin.

I'm sure the USA would undermine Putin if they secret government did not want him in power.

go Donald Trump.

17 minutes ago, Hum said:

I'm sure the USA would undermine Putin if they secret government did not want him in power.

go Donald Trump.

And a retaliation would've followed for sure. Russia isn't Iraq or Libya.

Anyways, it's been decades since CIA tried to assassinate a leader of a country directly. These days they prefer to outsource it to various rebel groups.

2 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

And a retaliation would've followed for sure. Russia isn't Iraq or Libya.

Many leaders have been taken out by heart attack, cancer, 'accidents'. ;)

1 minute ago, Hum said:

Many leaders have been taken out by heart attack, cancer, 'accidents'. ;)

Yep, however, few countries possess counter-intelligence services such as the ones operated by Russia.

They wouldn't be able to hide an assassination attempt on Putin regardless of the methods used.

24 minutes ago, Hum said:

It would be fascinating to rid the world of Putin, Little Kim, Assad, and the Iran government -- all in one day. :laugh:

It would be fascinating to rid the world of hate, intolerance, and imperialist hegemonic ambitions. It would be fascinating to have peace and live in a world not dominated by one centre of power.

31 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

It would be fascinating to rid the world of hate, intolerance, and imperialist hegemonic ambitions. It would be fascinating to have peace and live in a world not dominated by one centre of power.

less than 60 years to go -- stay tuned ! :yes:

1 hour ago, Mirumir said:

It would be fascinating to rid the world of hate, intolerance, and imperialist hegemonic ambitions. 

Yes it would be fantastic to have some new legislation in Russia to get rid of all of those things.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wakjak said:

Yes it would be fantastic to have some new legislation in Russia to get rid of all of those things.

What would you do? Which Russian law would you change?

10 minutes ago, wakjak said:

http://globalnews.ca/news/3351471/chechnya-police-arrest-gay/

Limit presidential terms.

to start.

They kinda do ... you can only serve two consecutive terms ... then you put in a puppet President (i.e. Medvedev) ... after that serve another term or two ... rinse and repeat. :) I doubt Russia will put presidential term limits in place (if everything remains status quo) ... at least while Putin is holding office (or one of his puppets after his "second" term).  I could see them increasing the term lengths (like they already have from 4 to 6 years) before placing limits on the overall number of terms.

14 minutes ago, wakjak said:

A respected Russian newspaper....the Saturday report in Novaya Gazeta said it had confirmed the information with sources in the Chechen police and government, but gave no details.

That was a good one.

Saying Novaya Gazeta is a respected newspaper sounds about as ridiculous as someone claiming DailyMail is a trusted source.

18 minutes ago, Jim K said:

then you put in a puppet President (i.e. Medvedev) 

How dare president and VP from the same party swap places! Oh, the horror!

2 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

How dare president and VP from the same party swap places! Oh, the horror!

You mean ... Prime Minister ... right?

27 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Saying Novaya Gazeta is a respected newspaper sounds about as ridiculous as someone claiming DailyMail is a trusted source.

Or the same as someone claiming RT is a trusted source... right? lol. Keep trying.

Please. Do tell me which newspapers are acceptable sources for you?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/01/world/europe/chechen-authorities-arresting-and-killing-gay-men-russian-paper-says.html

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/2656af03a358459a984fd90461c7b09a/report-chechnya-police-arrest-100-alleged-gays-3-killed

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/report-chechnya-police-arrest-100-alleged-gays-killed-46522707

Edited by wakjak
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, wakjak said:

They are all quoting Novaya Gazeta which is adding them zero credibility.

Yes, RT is a lot more trustworthy compared to Novaya Gazeta (which recently received some cash from the Dutch Government for licking their ass in the aftermath of MH17 tradegy).

18 minutes ago, Jim K said:

You mean ... Prime Minister ... right?

Correct.