Scorpio offical reveal incoming, along with 4K Forza, RDR2 and Battlefront.

Vsquad - Just a summary of news reports over the last few days, hoping we see the hardware reveal before e3. Haven't been this excited for a console launch in quite awhile. Can't wait to see what the Surface team brings to the table again.

project-scorpio.jpg

Well, it's no longer looking like we'll have to wait until E3 2017 to find out what's in the box.

A major gaming outlet recently visited Microsoft to take a look at Project Scorpio's internals, ahead of a planned exclusive blowout of coverage.

Forza Motorsport 7 was utilized to showcase Scorpio's power, which we revealed recently has been planned for some time as a headline title to exemplify the power of the next Xbox.

Forza Motorsport 7 will run at a 4K resolution on Project Scorpio, and if our information is to be believed, it'll look truly stunning.

It looks as though Project Scorpio's specifications could be revealed as early as next week, potentially putting an end to long-standing debates over whether it would be using the latest Ryzen CPU tech from AMD, or something a little older. Specifically, we have heard Thursday could be the day all of this comes to pass, but take that with a pinch of salt for now.

Either way, Project Scorpio is slated to run at 6 teraflops (TF), putting it at a significant GPU advantage over the Xbox One, and its chief competitor, the 4.2 TF PlayStation 4 Pro.

More here

turn10.jpg

We recently received a partial list of planned 4K titles for the next Xbox, dubbed "Project Scorpio," and we're now able to fully confirm its authenticity.

Microsoft will unveil Forza Motorsport 7 as the headline title for Project Scorpio in the next few weeks, and it will run at a blistering True 4K resolution. We've heard reports from reliable sources that the game, in true Forza fashion, already looks utterly stunning, and will showcase just what the console is capable of.

Our list comes from marketing materials that include titles Microsoft wants to use to exemplify Project Scorpio's six-teraflops (TF), True-4K capabilities. And it naturally includes several first-party titles, such as the aforementioned Forza 7, Crackdown 3, and State of Decay 2. But it also contains a few heavy-hitting, third-party titles.

The list includes some fairly obvious games, such as "Call of Duty", FIFA, and Madden, but also Battlefront 2, and Red Dead Redemption 2. It seems that each of these games will appear on Project Scorpio with a 4K resolution.

More here.

Edited by Vandalsquad

I wonder which "major gaming outlet" they're talking about, and I find it odd they want to show this off now instead of waiting for E3 at June.  BUT, having said that, I can see the thinking behind it, I mean E3 is still going to be full of news from everyone else and not just MS even with them changing to Sunday from Monday.  This puts them in the gaming talk for pretty much 2+ months till E3.

Another thing, if they get this hardware reveal out of the way first, then at their Sunday E3 conference they can talk up the games and not have to go over the hardware again and take up time.  Could be a good thing, more games news for E3 which is the key in the end.

They did this with the original Xbox One as well, but was it that far apart from E3?  Either way, April got way more interesting now.

On 4/2/2017 at 3:24 PM, George P said:

I wonder which "major gaming outlet" they're talking about.

Hold onto your butt.

Here we go.

4 minutes ago, Vandalsquad said:

Hold onto your butt.

Here we go.

Yeah, you know, after I posted that I thought a bit to myself and said it'd probably be DF, since the push here is for true 4k gaming and so on I bet they showed them forza 7 at 4k and let them talk it up since DF has been so key to all these resolution debates and so on in the past.

20 hours ago, George P said:

Yeah, you know, after I posted that I thought a bit to myself and said it'd probably be DF, since the push here is for true 4k gaming and so on I bet they showed them forza 7 at 4k and let them talk it up since DF has been so key to all these resolution debates and so on in the past.

DF have been critics of the One for awhile now so Microsoft must be confident with it abilities. Think it will also allow them to show games running next to Pro versions etc on reveal since DF are doing it. Don't think legally Microsoft would be able to get up on a reveal and be running both and be like look better better than Sony! :laugh:

Anyone have any idea how this will shown online? Are we going to be able to stream it?

Anyone else going to be watching this?

4 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

Anyone have any idea how this will shown online? Are we going to be able to stream it?

Anyone else going to be watching this?

I dont know if they've said it will be a video or any sort of press type of event. Could just be an inside look on their website.

3 minutes ago, wakjak said:

I dont know if they've said it will be a video or any sort of press type of event. Could just be an inside look on their website.

Hope it's some sort of livestream. Either way T-2 hours.

DF does have it's youtube channel, they could put a video up talking about it plus an article on the website, I don't expect anything major though.

2pr8x7q.jpg

Forza Motorsport 6. 4K, 60fps, Xbox One quality settings with 4K assets. GPU utilisation is at 66.19 per cent, meaning there's a huge amount of overhead left over for improving visuals still further. Click on the thumbnail for a higher resolution image.

This is just FM6 which they ported with 4K textures took 2 days. Can't wait to see FM7. Console will handle DX12 through the GPU, Auto downsampe to 1080 for those without 4K.

• Like 2

However, potentially the most exciting aspect surrounding the CPU revamp doesn't actually relate to the processor blocks at all, but rather to the GPU command processor - the piece of hardware that receives instructions from the CPU, piping them through to the graphics core.

"We essentially moved Direct3D 12," says Goossen. "We built that into the command processor of the GPU and what that means is that, for all the high frequency API invocations that the games do, they'll all natively implemented in the logic of the command processor - and what this means is that our communication from the game to the GPU is super-efficient."

Processing draw calls - effectively telling the graphics hardware what to draw - is one of the most important tasks the CPU carries out. It can suck up a lot of processor resources, a pipeline that traditionally takes thousands - perhaps hundreds of thousands - of CPU instructions. With Scorpio's hardware offload, any draw call can be executed with just 11 instructions, and just nine for a state change.

"It's a massive win for us and for the developers who've adopted D3D12 on Xbox, they've told us they've been able to cut their CPU rendering overhead by half, which is pretty amazing because now the driver portion of that is such a tiny fraction," adds Goossen.

This is quite awesome.  

being a PC die hard gamer, im impressed. Thats quite a spec.

doesnt half wee on the PS4 pro heh not even same league :p 

That is looking very powerful and Forza is looking very pretty, can't wait to see what can be done in proper development rather than 2 days! :o

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, wakjak said:

Not much more powerful than PS4 Pro. Considering they'll have had an entire year longer.

42% faster is not "much" to you?   Sure maybe it could've been 60% but I'd rather not be spending $700 on a new console.  And besides, if all you do is compare the teraflops then you're not seeing the whole picture.

• Like 4

Anyone know more about this:

Processing draw calls - effectively telling the graphics hardware what to draw - is one of the most important tasks the CPU carries out. It can suck up a lot of processor resources, a pipeline that traditionally takes thousands - perhaps hundreds of thousands - of CPU instructions. With Scorpio's hardware offload, any draw call can be executed with just 11 instructions, and just nine for a state change.

Could this be carried forward to PCs? In some strange fashion of course ...

Sony better have an ace up it's sleave at E3 this year or they're in serious trouble going forward.

1 minute ago, FunkyMike said:

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure this is marketing hype for the difference between DX11 and DX12.  It's hard to tell with the info that given.  One of the big pushes for DX12 though was reducing draw calls.

9 minutes ago, Asmodai said:

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure this is marketing hype for the difference between DX11 and DX12.  It's hard to tell with the info that given.  One of the big pushes for DX12 though was reducing draw calls.

Hopefully it is some type of hardware change. Am looking forward to more info. MS engineers can get quite creative and sometimes the tech dribbles back down to consumers via their partners.

1 hour ago, wakjak said:

Not much more powerful than PS4 Pro. Considering they'll have had an entire year longer.

Not much actually, just add an entire PS4 to PS4 Pro and you've Scorpio.

Not much more powerful, you're right. Just 50% more memory, 22% more GPU clock, UDH BluRay drive etc. etc.

49 minutes ago, FunkyMike said:

It depends on the GPU makers and if they want to add DX12 directly into their GPUs, but I have a feeling the answer is no.

This isn't like going from DX11 to DX12, which was a software side, API change.  This is taking D3D12 from software and sticking it into the GPU directly.  It's a very custom job specific to the xbox.