• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Scorpio offical reveal incoming, along with 4K Forza, RDR2 and Battlefront.

George P    6,260

It's pretty cool, and also telling, that they're going to be streaming the event in 4k for those who can watch it.   Should point to lots of 4k video games being shown off, and to get a better idea of the difference you should watch the 4k stream, something Sony royally messed up with their PS4 Pro event, anyone watching the streams couldn't tell the difference, we just had to take their word for it. 

dipsylalapo    1,902

I'm hoping to see more exclusives and not another round of sequels. Don't get me wrong, I would love to play the next Halo, Forza or RDR, but I want to see the kinda games that Sony has for the Playstation. 

I also wonder if the controller is changing for Project Scorpio? If they'll go down the route of something like an Xbox Elite controller or just an improvement over the current one. 

• Like 1

Vandalsquad    527
5 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

I also wonder if the controller is changing for Project Scorpio? If they'll go down the route of something like an Xbox Elite controller or just an improvement over the current one. 

Elite won't become standard kit, couple tiny improvements maybe. The control is already the best in my eyes to come with a console, The added grips, feel of the controller, just so solid all over. The plastics on my DS4 feel utterly cheap in comparison. Using the elite also has spoiled me I guess never thought I would say a controller is worth $200 bucks. But it is.

LostCat    1,537
7 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

I also wonder if the controller is changing for Project Scorpio?

I'd take it if the controllers weren't $60 anymore.  That's ridiculous.  50 or less, that's doable.  60 no.  Bleh

Vandalsquad    527
21 hours ago, dwLostCat said:

I'd take it if the controllers weren't $60 anymore.  That's ridiculous.  50 or less, that's doable.  60 no.  Bleh

Both the xbox and playstation controller are under $50 each on amazon aren't they with free shipping? Would kill for those prices in Australia :( Xbox is nearly the same price ($52 or so) but a DS4 is around $70 USD.

People pointing out some things from the teasers, not long now either way.

http://press-start.com.au/news/xbox/2017/06/08/project-scorpio-teasers-might-reveal-key-information/

George P    6,260

So I saw this little tidbit hit a while ago....

• Like 2

LostCat    1,537

That's cool.  The OS partitioning of the PS4/X1 gen is a little disappointing.

George P    6,260

The thinking was that they'd keep 4GB so they could run the dash and apps at 4k, but it sounds like they've optimized it even more so they can get the job done with 3GB now, probably 1GB for the dash and the rest for any apps you'll run in the background.

Vandalsquad    527
14 hours ago, George P said:

So I saw this little tidbit hit a while ago....

Dam, hungry Microsoft is best Microsoft.

Xbox One - 5GB 
PS4 - 5GB 
PS4 Pro - 5.5GB 
Scorpio: - 9GB

• Like 1

dipsylalapo    1,902

Looking forward to Sunday night. 

Vandalsquad    527

7 and a half hours to go, still no leaks. Surface department tight.

NightScreams    97

6 TF's? Is this single precision floating or dual? 

For one it's a theoretical maximum given by the processor maker that doesn't necessarily equal how a developer makes use of more power.  Second 2 TF's higher usually only equates to a few frames per second at best. Third, some GPU's with higher TFLOP's have been seen to actually perform worse as real world  performance is dependent on things like the structure of the processor, frame buffers, core speed, and other important specifications.

Basically this is like if some dude who's tall and skinny says he can run fast, by appearance you believe he can but may depend on what kind of shoes he wears. What I take from such a number is that games will look basically the same as PS4 Pro but capable of a few more fps if pushed which few developers will probably do anyway. Most will likely develop on PC, knock the most subtle graphics down a notch for Scorpio and merely tweak texture detail distance, AA and possibly shadows for the PS4 pro version. All else is just marketing, hype and wishful dreams of console gamers.

Vandalsquad    527
45 minutes ago, NightScreams said:

Second 2 TF's higher usually only equates to a few frames per second at best. 

PS4 Pro but capable of a few more fps if pushed

?

My understanding is CPU = Frames. This GPU is designed to push 4K resolution even if it's locked at 30 FPS. Games that we see now pushing 60FPS on console. (All modern shooters, racers etc) will continue to push 60FPS just at 4K resolution now on Scorpio. 

George P    6,260

Show hasn't even happened yet, the hardware isn't even out in users hands, and already we have people trying to write it off as no big deal.   If you're not going to wait and see how it is in real life before you talk about it, then I can't say anything.  It's like some people are insecure in their choices or something?   When the system you like is the better hardware it's all like "best looking games here,  your system is too weak, can't even do 1080p@60" and so on.   When the shoes on the other foot and your system of choice isn't the best hardware anymore, it's all damage control, "2 tflops more don't make a difference", "no one games on xbox they just play on PC",  yada yada.

Just play where you want and stop trying to knock things.

• Like 2

LostCat    1,537
2 hours ago, George P said:

Show hasn't even happened yet, the hardware isn't even out in users hands, and already we have people trying to write it off as no big deal.

Fanboyism is strong on either side really.  We saw plenty of that when the PS4/X1 launched.

That said, for 1080p PS4 Pro does damn good.  So I could see people not caring about the other side if they already have that.

Honestly though, unless I see a stronger showing from MS outside of the hardware and racing games...I don't know what to think yet.

wakjak    22,093

Sources saying price is $499 USD.

Andrew    2,861

I suspect that is for the entry model too.

George P    6,260
2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I only expect one model, why do more?  It's already going to be interesting to see how they market it as being different from the XB1S and get people to understand that, why do 2 or more SKUs?   One model with the 1TB hdd is fine, 6-8 months from now they can release a new one with 2TB after the price of the original drops if they want to.

MikeChipshop    3,458
15 hours ago, Andrew said:

As far as i'm reading their plans (and i could be wrong), the entry model is the Xbox One S.  Know what i mean?

George P    6,260
5 hours ago, MikeChipshop said:

As far as i'm reading their plans (and i could be wrong), the entry model is the Xbox One S.  Know what i mean?

Yup, it seems to me they plan to have and support 2 models of Xbox on the market going forward, so when the next Xbox after this comes to market they'll stop making the Xbox One S etc.  

+InsaneNutter    1,398
On 6/12/2017 at 3:34 PM, George P said:

Yup, it seems to me they plan to have and support 2 models of Xbox on the market going forward, so when the next Xbox after this comes to market they'll stop making the Xbox One S etc.  

That's a good strategy if so. I'd expect each console to have at least 10 years of support, going by the time frame from the Xbox One launch in 2013 and the Xbox One X.

Plus their's nothing to say less demanding arcade style games won't work on the original hardware when I imagine the Xbox One X successor will be launched in around 5 years time.

I also like what is been done with backwards compatibility via emulation. In a couple of years time if I can take a 20 year old Original Xbox game, put the disc in and play it on the current Xbox One model that will be pretty sweet. Microsoft just need to keep expanding the backwards compatibility list, as many good 360 titles are currently absent.

George P    6,260
1 hour ago, InsaneNutter said:

That's a good strategy if so. I'd expect each console to have at least 10 years of support, going by the time frame from the Xbox One launch in 2013 and the Xbox One X.

Plus their's nothing to say less demanding arcade style games won't work on the original hardware when I imagine the Xbox One X successor will be launched in around 5 years time.

I also like what is been done with backwards compatibility via emulation. In a couple of years time if I can take a 20 year old Original Xbox game, put the disc in and play it on the current Xbox One model that will be pretty sweet. Microsoft just need to keep expanding the backwards compatibility list, as many good 360 titles are currently absent.

Yeah, compatibility is the key to this going forward, the way they talk about it and the moves they're making, it sounds to me like going forward with the next Xbox in another 4 or so years from now, all the games that we can play on the Xbox One now, 360 and original Xbox 1 games, will still run on it so you never lose/break up your library.

I think the next Xbox will have games that might run only on it but it would be cool if they also run at a lower setting on the X, depending on how big of a jump we get the second time around.   I really expect MS to keep a console minimum and recommended hardware setup going for future games, just like we see for PC games.    

Vandalsquad    527
2 hours ago, George P said:

I think the next Xbox will have games that might run only on it but it would be cool if they also run at a lower setting on the X, depending on how big of a jump we get the second time around.   I really expect MS to keep a console minimum and recommended hardware setup going for future games, just like we see for PC games.    

I would like to see cross gen play personally for popular titles, Games like CoD, FIFA, BF... If I could have the latest and greatest while still playing with friends from last gen who don't have the funds to update for a year or so. I know there would be headaches with this but naturally when a games released on next gen CoD or what ever the only differences from what's being released on the one before has been graphical.

Probably asking way to much, but one can dream. 

George P    6,260
1 hour ago, Vandalsquad said:

I would like to see cross gen play personally for popular titles, Games like CoD, FIFA, BF... If I could have the latest and greatest while still playing with friends from last gen who don't have the funds to update for a year or so. I know there would be headaches with this but naturally when a games released on next gen CoD or what ever the only differences from what's being released on the one before has been graphical.

Probably asking way to much, but one can dream. 

I wouldn't say it's just graphics when it's something like CoD or BF, maps are often different for multiplayer on shooters.   Now a sports game, might be easier to do.

+InsaneNutter    1,398

If Microsoft are supporting two generations of Xbox i can't see cross gen play been an issue.

Everything is pretty standardized with the Xbox consoles essentially been a locked down PC running Windows 10. It's not like going from Xbox Classic where Xbox Live functionality was hard coded in to the game, or Xbox 360 to Xbox One where the processor architecture and consoles OS are totally different.

Everything can just scale now depending on the Xbox console it's running on. Everyone's connected to the same version of Xbox Live which supports the same functionality.

Long term this is great as Microsoft can launch a new console and not alienate the majority of current owners who won't upgrade on day one.