Doctor Dragged From United Plane After Computer "Solves" Overbooking Problem

United has really gone downhill the last year. I'm a premier member with lifetime status and have also had issues with overbooking, even though I've booked months in advance via a travel agency with a guaranteed seat, not to mention my member status. On more than one occasion I've been bumped by no fault of my own and receive a lousy free flight voucher for my next trip, that half the time can't be used in the time allotted and am put up in a one star hotel. A red roof in is usually a better experience.  The one time I said thanks, but no thanks and got a refund and instead took a rental car back to my home. It's a truly pain in the ass to be delayed for up to a 36 hours when you were guaranteed a seat, checked in, confirmed seat, only to be told it's overbooked.

Their flight attendants and gate staff have become increasingly rude, sarcastic and downright disrespectful. When there's a problem, they act as if you aren't there or are superior to you in every way. While I understand flying has become a chore, and nobody enjoys it anymore, their customer service has become almost non-existent. 

Anyone condoning the actions of this airline, where they forcibly remove a paying passenger, who booked and received a seat well in advance needs to have their head examined, not to mention they bloodied him up and dragged him off the plane. It's no surprise that the usual suspects here (*cough*, *trumpets playing*, *ahem*) are condoning the airlines actions. I have zero doubt in my mind that you would be bitching up a storm and being forced off the flight as well. 

7 minutes ago, shockz said:

United has really gone downhill the last year. I'm a premier member with lifetime status and have also had issues with overbooking, even though I've booked months in advance via a travel agency with a guaranteed seat, not to mention my member status. On more than one occasion I've been bumped by no fault of my own and receive a lousy free flight voucher for my next trip, that half the time can't be used in the time allotted and am put up in a one star hotel. A red roof in is usually a better experience.  The one time I said thanks, but no thanks and got a refund and instead took a rental car back to my home. It's a truly pain in the ass to be delayed for up to a 36 hours when you were guaranteed a seat, checked in, confirmed seat, only to be told it's overbooked.

Never ever accept the garbage voucher or hotel stay they give you. If you're bumped by more than 2 hours from a domestic flight you're entitled to 4x the one way ticket price upto $1350.

Only problem is you have to ask for it, the airline will never ever offer it to you.

Subject to the exceptions provided in § 250.6, a carrier to whom this part applies as described in § 250.2 shall pay compensation in interstate air transportation to passengers who are denied boarding involuntarily from an oversold flight as follows:
(1) No compensation is required if the carrier offers alternate transportation that, at the time the arrangement is made, is planned to arrive at the airport of the passenger's first stopover, or if none, the airport of the passenger's final destination not later than one hour after the planned arrival time of the passenger's original flight;
(2) Compensation shall be 200% of the fare to the passenger's destination or first stopover, with a maximum of $675, if the carrier offers alternate transportation that, at the time the arrangement is made, is planned to arrive at the airport of the passenger's first stopover, or if none, the airport of the passenger's final destination more than one hour but less than two hours after the planned arrival time of the passenger's original flight; and
(3) Compensation shall be 400% of the fare to the passenger's destination or first stopover, with a maximum of $1,350, if the carrier does not offer alternate transportation that, at the time the arrangement is made, is planned to arrive at the airport of the passenger's first stopover, or if none, the airport of the passenger's final destination less than two hours after the planned arrival time of the passenger's original flight.

25 minutes ago, shockz said:

Anyone condoning the actions of this airline, where they forcibly remove a paying passenger, who booked and received a seat well in advance needs to have their head examined, not to mention they bloodied him up and dragged him off the plane.

While they shouldn't overbook, people shouldn't be so stubborn either. It takes two to tango, and it's not fair to any of the other passengers if United allows one stubborn person to ground an entire flight.

Both sides were in the wrong in my book. I condone neither of their actions.

36 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

While they shouldn't overbook, people shouldn't be so stubborn either. It takes two to tango, and it's not fair to any of the other passengers if United allows one stubborn person to ground an entire flight.

I find it hard to believe United couldn't scrounge up any standby attendants for Monday's flight in other areas, that would require forcibly removing passengers who had no reason being removed. This was a procedural problem by United. While the customer isn't always right, this time, they were.

21 minutes ago, shockz said:

I find it hard to believe United couldn't scrounge up any standby attendants for Monday's flight in other areas, that would require forcibly removing passengers who had no reason being removed. This was a procedural problem by United. While the customer isn't always right, this time, they were.

They don't need a reason to remove him, they just have to compensate him for being removed. It's their plane, their rules. The customer was not right to resist so uncompromisingly. Sure, United could have handled it better but this guy also made some poor choices.

7 hours ago, Nogib said:

He certainly did.  He literally ASKED for it to go down that way.

Why, because he didn't want to give up a seat that he PAID for, and had done no wrong?

OK, next time you go to the store and pay for your goods, would you like it if they refuse to give them to you, and then punch you in the mouth whilst forcibly dragging you from the store?

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Emn1ty said:

You are completely wrong. The passenger paid for a flight. The right time to ask someone to give up their seat is BEFORE boarding. The airline has every right at that point to say the flight is full. Never mind the fact that these scumbags wanted to make room for their employees on *standby* clearly ignoring the standby rule.

Once boarded and seated,  FAA rules are in effect. You can't just call the cops and beat up passengers because you feel like it. Except in this day and age you apparently can and people will even defend that !!

If I'm invited to your house, you have a right to ask me to leave. The cops DO NOT have the right to beat me up if I present no threat. Thats called excessive force and police brutality in any sane country.

4 minutes ago, Defcon said:

Thats called excessive force and police brutality in any sane country.

If people are condoning this behaviour, then America has ceased to be a sane country...

• Like 11

13 hours ago, Nogib said:

Once the authorities are involved, I don't care how badly you WANT to stay on that flight, it isn't going to happen and you should just accept defeat and fight it later.  This dumb fool got what he deserved.

Maybe you will learn when a loved one is on their death bed and you get thrown off the plane and never get to say your last words.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jesseinsf said:

Maybe you will learn when a loved one is on their death bed and you get thrown off the plane and never get to say your last words.

Probably not even then.. They don't care, as it didn't affect their tiny little glass worlds

• Like 2

You know who I also feel sorry for? The United Airlines staff that would end up sitting in those seats. Can you imagine the tension and the look of disgust from the other passengers? They weren't responsible for the overbooking, nor the way this situation was handled.

14 hours ago, Nogib said:

Once the authorities are involved, I don't care how badly you WANT to stay on that flight, it isn't going to happen and you should just accept defeat and fight it later.  This dumb fool got what he deserved.

I disagree. If he had got off the plane and tried to fight the injustice of the overbooking it would probably have been swept under the carpet. There are two issues being highlighted now in the media: the appalling practice of overbooking flights with no regard to customer situations, and the completely outrageous treatment of a passenger who had paid money to be on a flight and who was potentially working on a schedule. Suppose he was your doctor, treating you or a family member. If something tragic happened to you or the family member because he was removed from a flight that he had booked would you really accept his excuse?

We are also reaching out to this passenger to talk directly to him

This sounds like a settlement is in the works.

I hope the victim will get a five-figure compensation at least.

• Like 2

"in order to get his compliance"

That's a wonderful choice of words.

"in order to get his compliance we punched him, he lost his consciousness, and wasn't complaining any more"

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, wv@gt said:

Statement released from the CEO. 

As expected he is putting part of the blame on the passenger 

Yea, ###### reply from United.   They have NO IDEA what passengers need to get back to.  Could be a funeral, work, or another important trip.  But they are more concerned in getting their own employees to where they need to go and if they would have been smarter and better planning, would not have had this issue.  They do not value their customers at all.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shockz said:

Their flight attendants and gate staff have become increasingly rude, sarcastic and downright disrespectful. When there's a problem, they act as if you aren't there or are superior to you in every way. While I understand flying has become a chore, and nobody enjoys it anymore, their customer service has become almost non-existent. 

Anyone condoning the actions of this airline, where they forcibly remove a paying passenger, who booked and received a seat well in advance needs to have their head examined, not to mention they bloodied him up and dragged him off the plane. It's no surprise that the usual suspects here (*cough*, *trumpets playing*, *ahem*) are condoning the airlines actions. I have zero doubt in my mind that you would be bitching up a storm and being forced off the flight as well. 

Why is that?

5 hours ago, Nick H. said:

I disagree. If he had got off the plane and tried to fight the injustice of the overbooking it would probably have been swept under the carpet.

This. Having tried to get my due a few times after being mistreated by various international companies of the sort (airlines, car rental, etc), I can bet in most cases you don't get refunded everything. Your flight has a huge delay or you're put on another flight, you miss a time-critical appointment, or whatever perishable stuff you're carrying with you gets spoiled, they'll just pay you the other flight, and if you're lucky the ugliest motel room near the airport. And if you accept whatever payment they give you you give up the rights to anything else.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nogib said:

Nobody deserves to be assaulted, PERIOD. It's the governments job to maintain law and order, yes, but also protect it's citizens first and foremost, they failed to do that.

18 hours ago, nekrosoft13 said:

i hope he sues those ######ers for everything they got.

Everybody is freaky sue-happy anymore.

16 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

NO ONE deserves to be treated like that. Period.  Even less so when they've committed no crime at all.  This entire incident was down to United overbooking the flight, so I hope he sues them into the poor house, they deserve it.

Exactly! :yes:

Also someone else stated about what patients he had to see the next morning, while I'd say it's more likely he's a hospitalist he maybe a surgeon, a transplant surgeon. If so and as a result that patient doesn't get the medical care required, so that they suffer in any medical or real painful way (not imagined) then United Airlines should be help culpable and should settle or take it to court if anyone's life is altered/terminated because of their actions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brys said:

This. Having tried to get my due a few times after being mistreated by various international companies of the sort (airlines, car rental, etc), I can bet in most cases you don't get refunded everything. Your flight has a huge delay or you're put on another flight, you miss a time-critical appointment, or whatever perishable stuff you're carrying with you gets spoiled, they'll just pay you the other flight, and if you're lucky the ugliest motel room near the airport. And if you accept whatever payment they give you you give up the rights to anything else.

Well for one overbooking is actually legal and recommended due to no shows, but yeah I see a lot of people saying the guy got what he deserved. This isn't like the police situations we see day to day. They guy wasn't being rude, he wasn't doing anything sketchy. He was a paid passenger already on the flight and randomly asked to get up and get off. United may have offered him compensations, but again just about every airline first puts any addtional flight employees on standby and secondly asks if any customer would come forward and would like to be put on a different flight for compensation. Usually this is done before boarding, not after. This guy had every right to be upset. And yes did he resist , sure, but If he hadn't this would have all be swept under the rug

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wv@gt said:

Well for one overbooking is actually legal and recommended due to no shows

It may be legal, it doesn't make it right. It's just a trick to sell more tickets and make more money. Why is it recommended, except to maximize profit ?