Computer takes around 20 seconds before it fully starts booting.

So I built a new Ryzen 1700x computer a couple months ago. It's been working very well aside from one odd thing.

When I click the power button to when the fans fully spin up and the boot process starts, it takes about 20 seconds. The fans are really quiet, almost idle during this time. I'm curious as to why this happens and if there's any way to get rid of this delay. I've tried the "Fast Boot" option to no avail, and tried re-ordering the boot devices also and had no changes.

Any ideas?

Yeah, there has been reports that some new B350/X370 motherboards that a while to POST.

Hopefully, that gets corrected with BIOS updates.

This might be a problem with some USB device hogging up the system...

Just now, Mindovermaster said:

This might be a problem with some USB device hogging up the system...

I do have a USB 360 controller plugged in, and while I haven't tested it with it out explicitly I don't think that's it.

2 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Yeah, there has been reports that some new B350/X370 motherboards that a while to POST.

Hopefully, that gets corrected with BIOS updates.

I hope so, too. Regardless an extra 20 seconds at boot isn't that big a deal when it comes around after that in under 10. I'll live :p

3 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

I do have a USB 360 controller plugged in, and while I haven't tested it with it out explicitly I don't think that's it.

Just saying it might be, not that it is. But yeah, wait till BIOS updates...

I've seen this exact issue before and the problem was a power supply that was just on the borderline of being sufficient.

Since you have a new build, that's probably unlikely but it might help people think of something.

11 hours ago, DevTech said:

I've seen this exact issue before and the problem was a power supply that was just on the borderline of being sufficient.

Since you have a new build, that's probably unlikely but it might help people think of something.

Yeah, I doubt 750W is too little... however I could test this by unplugging the GPU and using the onboard HDMI and see if I get a faster start.

Check the message boards of the manufacture (ASUS or whoever) ... maybe it is an issue waiting for a BIOS update (especially if this has been happening since day 1).  Is it just hanging out at the UEFI screen for ~20 seconds?  Any addon cards (like a soundcard, NIC, etc)?

2 hours ago, Jim K said:

Check the message boards of the manufacture (ASUS or whoever) ... maybe it is an issue waiting for a BIOS update (especially if this has been happening since day 1).  Is it just hanging out at the UEFI screen for ~20 seconds?  Any addon cards (like a soundcard, NIC, etc)?

It doesn't even hit the UEFI screen, the whole system just waits, then it goes through the full boot process. The system goes past the logo screen in under a second, so fast that I have to constantly tap the key to get in. No add on's besides my GTX1070. I think a better bet is the PSU as stated earlier but as this is my first time ever experiencing this issue and my PSU is 750 I just don't really see that being the case unless the PSU has a problem of some kind.

2 hours ago, Riva said:

Have you got a lot of UEFI settings to "Auto"? Such as voltage, clock speeds etc? If so I recommend setting some values

For the most part those I don't touch. I'm not interested in changing clocks or anything as I am not knowledgeable or comfortable with making those changes (especially not in a brand new $1300 machine). I'd rather have the minor annoyance of 20s boot times over frying a part. That could be unwarranted caution, but I really don't want to do that unless I absolutely have to.

Board? OS? HDD or SSD or M.2 or NVMe?

Before booting is mostly POST time, motherboard's UEFI could be the reason.

3 minutes ago, Zlip792 said:

Board? OS? HDD or SSD or M.2 or NVMe?

Before booting is mostly POST time, motherboard's UEFI could be the reason.

I'd just like to point out that M.2 is just a connector and is used by both AHCI and NVME SSDs. The slowest SSD on sata won't cause this issue. 

Something I didn't make clear, if I recall the monitor doesn't even turn on until after this 20s delay. That could be because the monitor is plugged into the GPU but I'm not 100% certain.

Just now, adrynalyne said:

I'd just like to point out that M.2 is just a connector and is used by both AHCI and NVME SSDs. 

I know. It can be used with AHCI and NVMe both. :-) Anyhow thanks...

Just now, Emn1ty said:

Something I didn't make clear, if I recall the monitor doesn't even turn on until after this 20s delay. That could be because the monitor is plugged into the GPU but I'm not 100% certain.

Check your RAM in motherboard capability list and also if possible share vendor and model for RAM and Motherboard

I had something similar happen with an HP elite tower. Disabling the TPM chip in the BIOS fixed it. I doubt thats your problem though.

Did you try disabling full RAM count in the BIOS? I haven't read through the entire thread so apologies if this has been tried.

3 hours ago, slamfire92 said:

I had something similar happen with an HP elite tower. Disabling the TPM chip in the BIOS fixed it. I doubt thats your problem though.

Did you try disabling full RAM count in the BIOS? I haven't read through the entire thread so apologies if this has been tried.

The "Fast Boot" option disables the full RAM check - very handy if you have 32 gigs or 64 gigs of RAM

He already has that enabled 

3 hours ago, Emn1ty said:

When do you get the "Boot Beep" sound?

What appears to be happening here is that the Motherboard is NOT happy with something. A modern motherboard has a tiny embedded CPU which monitors power and other stuff and then decides to start the CPU chip and transfer control to the BIOS.

Although in my case it was a defective power supply that took 20 seconds for its power to stabalize enough for the Motherboard to be happy enough  to start the CPU power, it could be all sorts of other things of course with a few ideas off the top of my head:

- full or partial power short - try unplugging everything

- bad BIOS flash - flash again

- defective motherboard

- other component on motherboard drawing too much power such as RAM, GPU, USB, FANS

- just needs BIOS update as people have mentioned

- improper CPU parameters due to previous - the idea of manual setting of all parameters is a good one. You can't fry a chip if you don't overvolt anything. In any case turn OFF any automatic TURBO or OVERCLOCK options since they sometimes do apply extra voltage automatically and I've seen that as a normal default which I think is insane. So always double check all BIOS settings!

3 hours ago, DevTech said:

When do you get the "Boot Beep" sound?

What appears to be happening here is that the Motherboard is NOT happy with something. A modern motherboard has a tiny embedded CPU which monitors power and other stuff and then decides to start the CPU chip and transfer control to the BIOS.

Although in my case it was a defective power supply that took 20 seconds for its power to stabalize enough for the Motherboard to be happy enough  to start the CPU power, it could be all sorts of other things of course with a few ideas off the top of my head:

- full or partial power short - try unplugging everything

- bad BIOS flash - flash again

- defective motherboard

- other component on motherboard drawing too much power such as RAM, GPU, USB, FANS

- just needs BIOS update as people have mentioned

- improper CPU parameters due to previous - the idea of manual setting of all parameters is a good one. You can't fry a chip if you don't overvolt anything. In any case turn OFF any automatic TURBO or OVERCLOCK options since they sometimes do apply extra voltage automatically and I've seen that as a normal default which I think is insane. So always double check all BIOS settings!

So I checked the "EZ Debug" lights while it booted. The video I'm attaching will show the first light which is the CPU. It will then turn off for several seconds and the V.G.A. light will come on. 

Once that sequence has completed it boots normally.

As for setting the cpu parameters, I'll need more information on that.

7 hours ago, Zlip792 said:

Check your RAM in motherboard capability list and also if possible share vendor and model for RAM and Motherboard

The RAM I have is Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666MHz, 2x 16GB. Motherboard is MSI B350 Tomahawk.

1. RAM is supported by the Board (not sure whether it was added in the latest BIOS or not?

5903136970b86_RAMSupport.thumb.PNG.006e709046ec6630f1a57ee004011331.PNG

2. As per MSI, you need to add the RAM in the particular slots first (So you should add your RAMs to DIMMA2 and DIMMB2 to make them in Dual Channel):

- Always insert memory modules in the DIMMA2 slot first.

memory.jpg

3. From the UEFI, select A-XMP profile for the RAM rather than audit or Intel XMP.

- To ensure system stability with A-XMP enabled, DDR4 memory might run a different frequency/timings/voltage setting when using Intel XMP spec memory and set A-XMP item to enabled in AMD system.

4. Update to latest stable BIOS, to ensure that your RAM is supported by the board:

Latest is 1.4 version - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-TOMAHAWK.html#support_download

If this does not work out then go for Beta BIOS (at your own risk) - https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=283344.msg1615503#msg1615503

5. Tell us about your PSU vendor and model, sometime new processor introduce new sleep states e.g. Intel Haswell, to support the new sleep states, newer PSU is required. (It is far fetched but it could be the reason).

6. MSI B350 Tomhawk comes with the VGA, DVI-D and HDMI connectivity but does not have integrated graphics. So make sure, you are connecting your monitor with external GPU (Nvidia GTX 1070) rather than motherboard's ports.

Connectivity.thumb.PNG.9cfb507e32d35c95b94354b5d6750235.PNG

7. Move the GPU to the top PCI-Express Slot

8. Changing the Display Cable. (Worth the try)

1 hour ago, Mockingbird said:

MSI B350 Tomahawk and MSI B350M Mortar have really slow POST time.

If this is the case then I'm fine with that. I may try some of the above, haven't had a chance, to get it faster. I just wanted to be sure there wasn't something I should be worried about.

21 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

If this is the case then I'm fine with that. I may try some of the above, haven't had a chance, to get it faster. I just wanted to be sure there wasn't something I should be worried about.

If you search "MSI B350 Tomahawk POST time", you'll see that this is a common issue.

Hopefully, a BIOS update can sort this out.

My motherboard has an option for which PCI-E slot the Primary video card is installed, it's looks like you have your GFX card in in slot 2, have you tried it in slot 1 or changing the option in the bios?

sounds like your psu aint pushing enough amps on the +12V rail(s) to me. 

how old is the PSU?