Super Bowl XXXVIII

"I fought Ty Law, and Ty Law won..."

Not to put down the 'Cats in anyway, shape or form, I do think that NE will beat Carolina. Carolina deserves to be there no doubt, and if the 'Pat do lose it will be to a good team. I just think that NE has too much for Carolina to over come.

-Chevy

I think the Panthers have a truly spectacular coaching team. Unfortunately, it's a hard choice for me, The Panthers winning the Superbowl that is, because their strength of victory which arrived them to the Bowl was somewhat weak.

Finally, if you would like to post your Bowl Pick, do it Here.

they didn't let me down 2 years ago... hopefully i can say the same this year!! go partriots!

i have a case of beer riding on the line against my roomate...

:yes:

Panthers all the way, they have rose up from the 1-15 season two years ago, and they all seemed pumped up, I think they have the will moreso than the Patriots to win.

Go Panthers....Unleash the fury that is the Carolina Cat....I can't possibly root against the Cinderella story of this year's playoffs. Plus, the Patriots are weak offensively...How will Brady deal with the vaunted front 4 of Carolina...well...he won't and look for him to be sacked/throw a pick. As for the "great" Patriot defense...honestly...it didn't look that great against Tenn or Indy. If peyton manning could have gotten into the game a little sooner the Colts would be in Houston right now. Look for Jake Delhomme to lead the aerial attack with Stephen Davis and Deshaun Foster being used as decoys in the run game again...just like they were used in the Philly game. Besides I am a Bear fan and I can't root for the team that has Ted Washington and Roosevelt Colvin...it still hurts to see them on that team.

Hi. I'm from the UK hence i've never watched any american football.

It's on until 3:00am live here so i'm going to record it. Anyone got any quick links about the rules etc?

I haven't a clue about it, only ever played and watched Rugby.

I'd appreciate some help :)

Football is a simple game: place the ball in the end of the field that belongs to your opponent.

That being said, football is a very complex game because the idea is to deceive the other team into thinking you're doing one thing while you do another. For example, the team with the ball (offense) lines up to pass but instead they run.

Since I live in South Carolina I'm pulling for the home team--GO PANTHERS!

Edit - Although I might not understand the finer points i'll watch it. I'm sure i'll pick up the general jist of what's happening :)

Edited by M/\TT

Hi. I'm from the UK hence i've never watched any american football.

It's on until 3:00am live here so i'm going to record it. Anyone got any quick links about the rules etc?

I haven't a clue about it, only ever played and watched Rugby.

I'd appreciate some help :)

I'm in the UK but I still watch it, it's shown on Five and Sky Sports Extra during the regular season, so being in the UK is no exscuse!

Edit - Although I might not understand the finer points i'll watch it. I'm sure i'll pick up the general jist of what's happening :)

Football is a great game, I am sure you'll pick it up. :yes:

the basic rules are that a team has 3 attempts or "downs" to get 10 yards "first down marker", if they succeed, they get another 3 attempts to get a further 10 yards. Only one forward pass is allowed during each attempt, usually only done by the quarterback, or they can just run instead. If they fail then they have to punt it away or attempt a field goal. 3 points for a field goal, 6 for a touchdown plus an extra point for a rugby style conversion. On the conversion u can attempt to get a touchdown instead, and get 2 points, but if you fail you get nothing. If you get tackled inside you own endzone when your attacking its a safety and other team gets 2 points "a safety". You can't tackle a player by his facemask, thats a 5 yard penalty, or 15 yards and an automatic 1st down if its intentional. Thats the basics of it.

the basic rules are that a team has 3 attempts or "downs" to get 10 yards "first down marker", if they succeed, they get another 3 attempts to get a further 10 yards. Only one forward pass is allowed during each attempt, usually only done by the quarterback, or they can just run instead. If they fail then they have to punt it away or attempt a field goal. 3 points for a field goal, 6 for a touchdown plus an extra point for a rugby style conversion. On the conversion u can attempt to get a touchdown instead, and get 2 points, but if you fail you get nothing. If you get tackled inside you own endzone when your attacking its a safety and other team gets 2 points "a safety". You can't tackle a player by his facemask, thats a 5 yard penalty, or 15 yards and an automatic 1st down if its intentional. Thats the basics of it.

Thanks, makes a bit more sense now :)

I can't say i've ever seen it on Ch5, but I don't watch that much TV. Also I don't have Sky.

five show a live game at around 1am sunday nights (kick off is 1:30am), but only after the baseball season is over, about halfway through the season, plus a rerun of the monday night game on tuesday nights again somewhere around 1am, which is the complete game but with all the ad breaks cut out, and thats for the whole season. I usually watch the games as their broadcast even though though dont finish until around 4:30-5am, so the 3am finish of the superbowl will be an early one for me. I'm a dolphins fan so go panthers!!!!!

Anyone webcasting this? If you are unlucky enough to live in Canada, all the commercials are edited over by the local stations and ads are edited on to the field as well for local car dealerships and such. It really destroys the experiance......

uh the game consists of 4 downs not sure where you got 3 from.. :blink:

uh the game consists of 4 downs not sure where you got 3 from.. :blink:

Maybe he thinks on 4th down you're forced to punt :wacko:

That's not the case though, you have 4 downs regardless