E3 2017 Microsoft Press Conference Discussion

dipsylalapo

I thought the same @MikeChipshop

Anthem looks beautiful. 

• Like 1
George P

I know some people were thinking $600 or something higher, that'd just be crazy.

Andrew

Dear oh dear :no:

Good to know I don't need to shell out £430 this year now.

• Like 1
wakjak
Just now, Andrew said:

There really wasn't any "WOW I HAVE TO BUY THIS NOW"... If you've got an Xbox One S, you're not really needing to run out to get a One X.

Andrew
1 minute ago, wakjak said:

There really wasn't any "WOW I HAVE TO BUY THIS NOW"... If you've got an Xbox One S, you're not really needing to run out to get a One X.

Yup, and with only 1.2M 4K households in the UK, a probable price drop on the PS4 Pro, no killer app - MS has one hell of an uphill struggle to sell this console.

The actual console looked great though. No more VCR / swiss cheese plastics and what I imagined the X1 should have looked like in 2013.

vcfan

$499 as I expected. great price

G.i.b.b.s
1 minute ago, wakjak said:

If you've already invested in a 4k tv, like I have, it is a "WOW I HAVE TO BUY THIS NOW" so that i can FINALLY play full 4k 60fps games, unlike my ps4pro which doesn't all the time. The only concerning this is having developers issue updates to already released games to make them "ENHANCED FOR XBOX X"

George P

No big wow game, true, but then again, if you're a multiplatform player anyways, wouldn't getting the best 3rd party experience be a selling point to people to going forward?   I already have a 4k TV as well, so it's an option for holiday or early 2018.

I figure they're going to make a bigger push next year after they've had it on the market and can get more first party games and other exclusives on it.

Yogurth

it is hard making a good presentation without an actual system seller. Nothing there looked great :( apart from The Last Night and I missed The Anthem announcement so I can't comment on that. E3 really showed in how much trouble is XBox gaming ecosystem.

Andrew
1 minute ago, Yogurth said:

it is hard making a good presentation without an actual system seller. Nothing there looked great :( apart from The Last Night and I missed The Anthem announcement so I can't comment on that. E3 really showed in how much trouble is XBox gaming ecosystem.

The Last Night looked amazing! Can't wait to learn more about that one :yes:

Also wish Fallout 4 looked like Metro 3, but oh well, we got what we got :p

• Like 1
+Audioboxer
17 minutes ago, Andrew said:

£450 :rofl:

Screenshot_20170611_235615.png

wakjak

$599 in Canada 

After tax for me would be $688.85 So nearly $700 for console only.. then I'd need a 4K TV.. then $500-$600  maybe $700 for a 4K TV with HDR. 

Vandalsquad

Got called out to emergency job this morning so missed the live stream :( But the job paid for my preorder and console $649AU. People thinking this would be $399 are insane. It's targeted to the enthusiast with expensive gear already. 

Xbox original backwards support is massive, biggest news for me out of this can't believe that isn't being talked about more. We all knew the games we would be getting. A console going forward that will play every generation of games but. Just got invited into Sea of Thieves beta as well :woot: 

Never got around to Witcher either but think I seen that as one of the games getting a 4K upgrade for xbox so I'll finally get in on it (Y)

Sexiest console to date now as well, can finally see why they didn't release the S in black now.

George P
3 hours ago, wakjak said:

$599 in Canada 

After tax for me would be $688.85 So nearly $700 for console only.. then I'd need a 4K TV.. then $500-$600  maybe $700 for a 4K TV with HDR. 

No need to rush it man, wait till early next year, probably when I'll get one as well, like Feb 2018 or so.  I got a new 4k TV back in March so that's out of the way, I'd start with the TV first.

wakjak

Oh I am not rushing, recently bought house, so that comes first with getting expensive stuff lol.

Vandalsquad
7 minutes ago, wakjak said:

Oh I am not rushing, recently bought house, so that comes first with getting expensive stuff lol.

Think of it as a reward to yourself for the hard saving of getting the house :shifty:

• Like 2
George P

Either way, I don't buy new consoles day one, so it's nothing new to me, I'll get it at some point.  This years list of games is on the smaller side, more AA and indie exclusives or timed exclusives.   Not bad, going forward would be interesting, see if devs want to break away and not be held back by the old XB/PS4 hardware and move ahead with games made more for the PS4 Pro and XBX next year.

It's clear though, if you enjoy playing on both and want the best experience as far as 3rd party stuff, looks like Xbox One X is were you will go from now on, like it was back with the 360.

dipsylalapo

Just an interpretation, but looks like the small came with a price. Just reading up on the One X and from Xbox Wire

Every Xbox One X unit will come with a 1TB hard drive, a matching Xbox Wireless Controller, HDMI cable, power supply, a 1-month free Xbox Game Pass subscription and a 14-day free Xbox Live Gold membership.

Does that mean back to external power brick?

Edit, if I finished the article the next paragraph says built in power supply!

• Like 1
George P
9 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Just an interpretation, but looks like the small came with a price. Just reading up on the One X and from Xbox Wire

Does that mean back to external power brick?

Edit, if I finished the article the next paragraph says built in power supply!

Yeah it's all internal, the same cable from the S works on the X, all you have to do is take the X, take all the cables off of your S and plug them right into the X and you're good to go.

Also saw this just come across twitter.

dipsylalapo

Looks pretty cool. I'm dreading to think what the 4K patch sizes are for the One X

MikeChipshop
12 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Looks pretty cool. I'm dreading to think what the 4K patch sizes are for the One X

For me i n Scotland it'll be "This game needs an update. Come back and try again in three weeks" :p

-T-
3 minutes ago, MikeChipshop said:

For me i n Scotland it'll be "This game needs an update. Come back and try again in three weeks" :p

I'm in a virgin media area in Scotland, being on the updates 

Buying this day one, can't wait 

MikeChipshop
1 minute ago, -T- said:

I'm in a virgin media area in Scotland, being on the updates 

Buying this day one, can't wait 

Show off. I'm on the only choice available here BT, and being rural its absolutely dire. Still, the One X is going to be a day oner for me too.

dipsylalapo
38 minutes ago, MikeChipshop said:

Show off. I'm on the only choice available here BT, and being rural its absolutely dire. Still, the One X is going to be a day oner for me too.

You better hope that there's not a large update on Day One like they had with the One. 

• Like 1
George P
36 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

You better hope that there's not a large update on Day One like they had with the One. 

The updates  to existing games for 4k might be big due to the nature of it, you're downloading the bigger, more detailed, 4k assets.  Look at the size of Gears 4 on the Xbox One and then look at the size of it on the PC, you'll get a good idea of what to expect.

I also don't expect a big day one update either, they've been working on this for quite some time and the dash will probably be the same between them, just with a 4k option on the X.

• Andrew unpinned this topic
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Abhay V
      Outlook on the desktop facing issues, prevents users from viewing and composing emails [Update]
      by Abhay Venkatesh

In what may be frustrating for Outlook users on the desktop, a bug is preventing them from composing or seeing email content, rendering the service useless in some ways. The company has acknowledged the issue on Twitter and on the service status page. It has noted that it has found the root cause of the issue and is applying a fix. The message notes that the web and mobile versions are not affected.

It is currently not clear what is causing the issue, though the problem seems to be affecting many users. We can confirm that the problem indeed exists on the desktop client where text in the compose box seems to vanish on hitting enter, making it impossible to draft an email. Content in the Inbox too either draws a blank or only displays the first line. Some Twitter responses seem to suggest that the issue affects those running perpetual license versions of the tool as well, in addition to Microsoft 365 versions.

Folks over at BleepingComputer suggest that the problem might be caused by a recent update to the Office suite of apps. The publication, along with a few users on Twitter, has posted a workaround for the issue, which includes running a Command Prompt script to roll back to a previous version of Outlook, effectively removing the faulty update. However, Microsoft has already begun rolling out a fix and says that the update should gradually roll out to all users in the next few hours. Users will need to restart Outlook for the fix to be applied, the firm adds.

Update: Here's the complete statement from the firm:

• By Abhay V
      Windows Holographic version 21H1 rolls out with a bunch of new features
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Microsoft today announced the availability of the next major version of Windows Holographic for HoloLens 2 devices. Version 21H1 is beginning to roll out with a bunch of new features. Interestingly, while 21H1 for desktop is going to be just an enablement package that will light up minor new features for the OS, the version seems to be a major one, bringing features such as the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge, Settings app improvements, a revamped Power menu, and much more.

First up is the addition of the new Microsoft Edge browser based on Chromium, which will be the default offering for HoloLens users. However, the company says that Legacy Edge will continue to exist in the OS. Users will also be able to sync history and favorites as it is based on a shared codebase. It also supports WebXR and the 360 Viewer extension for immersive web experiences, the firm says.

Next up is the new Settings app that contains granular controls and is tailored for the HoloLens 2. It includes updated settings for Sound, Power & sleep, Network & Internet, Apps, Accounts, Ease of Access, and more. The firm adds that since the new Settings app is “distinct from the legacy Settings app”, it will remove any previously placed windows in the environment. A few examples of the improved settings experience include the ability to set or reset default apps, adjusting independent app volumes, account management, and various improvements to audio preferences.

There is also a new Display color calibration tool in Settings to let users choose alternate color profiles to adapt to various display brightness and ambient light settings. There are six pre-set color profiles to choose from.

Another nifty feature is a new Swipe to type feature that mimics the experience found on mobile devices. Users can pass the tip of their fingers through the letters and can continue typing just like on mobile and the system automatically inserts spaces after each word. However, the company calls the feature “tricky” as the holographic keyboard does not offer any haptic feedback or resistance to users’ fingers, unlike on mobile devices.

Rounding off the major changes is a new Power menu that can be accessed from the ellipsis icon next to the users’ profile picture. It offers users options for signing out, shutting down, or restarting the device, and displays a yellow indication icon when updates are available, similar to the Windows 10 power menu. The sign-in screen is also adding support for displaying multiple user accounts, making it easy to switch between accounts.

There also are updates aimed at IT admins such as the auto-enabled Visitor Auto-logon for Kiosk mode feature, improved error handling, and more. You can head to the release notes page here for complete documentation on everything that is new, along with useful links. The Redmond firm also notes that it will no longer serve updates for version 1903, with the only supported version now being 2004, 20H2, and 21H1.

Windows Holographic version 21H1 is heading out to HoloLens 2 users starting today bringing build 20346.1002. Users can head to the Settings app and check for updates from the Windows Udpate section under Update & Security. The company has also made available manual update packages for IT admins.

• By LoneWolfSL
      EA Play Live games showcase will return this July with another virtual event
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

Electronic Arts has been hosting its own yearly gaming event named EA Play (not to be confused with the subscription service) separate from E3 festivities for quite a few years now. Still, they have always taken place during E3 week to not miss out on the high levels of hype generated there.

Last year, the event switched to a digital format (EA Play Live) due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and today, EA announced the return of this virtual event. There is something different about this show, however. Unlike the usual June presentation, EA has pushed back the EA Play Live showcase to July 22, over a month after the returning all-digital E3 is supposed to take place.

Perhaps the company realized the E3 week schedule is too busy this time to shine a spotlight on its own wares. It's likely that the games the publisher is planning to push in the near future are aimed at the holiday season anyway, so it can take the hit of delaying the full reveals by a month.

The next Battlefield project is one of the games that are pretty much guaranteed to be unveiled in full at EA Play Live. The game is said to be the largest Battlefield being developed at DICE and its supporting studios, featuring more players than ever before. At least a teaser trailer should land in June if recent hints are anything to go by.

Other games likely to be revealed at EA Play Live include the usual trove of yearly EA Sports games like FIFA, NHL, and Madden, and perhaps a better look at Dragon Age 4 and the next Skate Project. Since Codemasters is now under EA's umbrella now, more racing games are something to look forward to as well, though not Need for Speed entries, for now at least.

• By Abhay V
      Windows 7 and 8.1 Patch Tuesday updates are out, here's what's new
      by Abhay Venkatesh

As is the case every second Tuesday of the month, Microsoft is releasing cumulative updates for all supported Windows versions. That includes all supported Windows 10 versions, along with Windows 8.1, and Windows 7 customers that have opted to receive extended security updates. As for Windows 10 users, it must be noted that versions 1909, 1809, and 1803 will be reaching the end of support, with 1803 being completely unsupported – including for enterprises – starting today.

As for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 (and the corresponding Windows Server versions), there are two kinds of updates. The monthly rollup packages are downloaded automatically from the Windows Update, while security-only packages are made available for manual download.

Starting with Windows 8.1, the monthly rollup for this month is KB5003209 and can be manually downloaded from the Update Catalog here. The changelog for the patch is as follows:

As for known issues, there is just one known issue that is being tracked for a while, and it still seems to not have been addressed:

Symptom

Workaround

Certain operations, such as rename, that you perform on files or folders that are on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) may fail with the error, “STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)”. This occurs when you perform the operation on a CSV owner node from a process that doesn’t have administrator privilege.

Do one of the following:

Perform the operation from a process that has administrator privilege. Perform the operation from a node that doesn’t have CSV ownership. Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

Heading to the security-only update, it is listed in the knowledge base article KB5003220 and is available for manual download from here. It includes the following fixes and comes with the same known issue as that of the monthly rollup:

Moving on to Windows 7, the monthly rollup is KB5003233 and can be downloaded from the link here. The list of fixes being made to users of the OS with this month’s update includes the following:

And here are the known issues that users should be aware of:

Symptom

Workaround

After installing this update and restarting your device, you might receive the error, “Failure to configure Windows updates. Reverting Changes. Do not turn off your computer,” and the update might show as Failed in Update History.

This is expected in the following circumstances:

If you are installing this update on a device that is running an edition that is not supported for ESU. For a complete list of which editions are supported, see KB4497181. If you do not have an ESU MAK add-on key installed and activated. If you have purchased an ESU key and have encountered this issue, please verify you have applied all prerequisites and that your key is activated. For information on activation, please see this blog post. For information on the prerequisites, see the "How to get this update" section of this article.

Certain operations, such as rename, that you perform on files or folders that are on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) may fail with the error, “STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)”. This occurs when you perform the operation on a CSV owner node from a process that doesn’t have administrator privilege.

Do one of the following:

Perform the operation from a process that has administrator privilege. Perform the operation from a node that doesn’t have CSV ownership. Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

For those looking for the security-only update, it is KB5003228 for this month and can be manually pulled from the Update Catalog here. The list of changes and fixes are as follows:

The known issues for this update are shared with the monthly rollup, which means that the rename operation problem – which has been around for a while now, is still not fixed.

As usual, you can head to Windows Update and check for updates to pull the monthly rollup patches. You can also head to the individual download links for the security-only updates which can only be manually installed.

• By indospot
      Microsoft releases Windows 10 builds 19042.985, 18363.1556 - here's what's new
      by João Carrasqueira

Yet another month has passed, and Microsoft is once again releasing its set of Patch Tuesday updates for all supported versions of Windows, including a multitude of Windows 10 versions. For regular users with Windows 10 Home or Pro, only versions 20H2, 2004, and 1909 are getting updates today, and even then, support for version 1909 ends today, so this is the last update you'll get unless you have an Enterprise or Education SKU.

For Windows 10 version 2004 and 20H2, the cumulative update is the same, and it's labeled KB5003173, which you can download manually here. This will bring the build number up to 19041.985 and 19042.985, depending on which version you have, and it includes these highlights:

The full list of fixes is below:

If you're still using Windows 10 version 1909, this is the last update you'll get if you have Windows 10 Home or Pro, and you may want to consider upgrading to a newer version to stay secure going forward. The update is KB5003169 and it brings the build number up to 18363.1556. You can download it manually here, and the highlights of the update are:

And here are the additional fixes and improvements included:

Finally, there are a bunch of updates for versions of Windows 10 that are only supported in specific SKUs or servicing channels. Here's a quick rundown of everything else being released today:

Version KB Build Download Support 1809 KB5003171 17763.1935

Update Catalog Enterprise and Education SKUs 1803 KB5003174 17134.2208

Update Catalog 1607 KB5003197 14393.4402

Update Catalog Long-Term Servicing Branch 1507 KB5003172 10240.18932

Update Catalog For Windows 10 versions 1803 and 1809, these are also the final updates for Enterprise and Education SKUs. Version 1809, however, will live on in the Long-Term Servicing Channel alongside the other two LTSB releases.

As usual, these updates are mandatory and they'll be installed automatically sooner or later. You can download them manually using the links above to avoid surprises.