Professor Under Fire for Saying Otto Warmbier ‘Got Exactly What He Deserved’

https://www.yahoo.com/news/professor-under-fire-saying-otto-041441056.html

People are calling for Katherine Dettwyler, a professor at the University of Delaware, to be fired after saying Otto Warmbier, the American student detained in North Korea who died earlier this week in the U.S., “got exactly what he deserved.”

"typical of a mindset of a lot of the young, white, rich, clueless males who come into my classes.  These are the same kids who cry about their grades because they didn’t think they’d really have to read and study the material to get a good grade…” “His parents ultimately are to blame for his growing up thinking he could get away with whatever he wanted. "

This is a big reason the people in college right now, come out so messed up, so out of touch with reality.  The professors.
I went to University of Texas "Berkeley of the South" due to its liberal views.  So glad is was before this current era of snowflakes spewing hate, kids who have their parents call the school to whine until they get into honors classes, threaten to sue if they dont get a grade which satisfies the parents.

SMH

Source: Yahoo News/NY Times 

• Like 2

Ewe, warm beer.

I do kinda have to agree, that if you willingly go to freaking North Korea and vandalize their ######... you shouldn't be surprised when they overreact a touch.

/still applies

I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to go to North Korea, i've heard such great things about /s

• Like 2

2 hours ago, warwagon said:

I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to go to North Korea, i've heard such great things about /s

I want to go to NK really bad actually.  The place intrigues me, and I want to see it from the ground.  I obviously wouldn't do dumb ###### while there, but there is more to the world than just what a local travel blogs tells you to do.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Nashy said:

I obviously wouldn't do dumb ###### while there, but there is more to the world than just what a local travel blogs tells you to do.

That's the thing though, dumb #### in NK isn't the same as dumb ###### in your home country. Just look at what happened to him, and he died for it. I believe  it wouldn't take much over there to land you in jail. Wouldn't surprise me if what landed you in jail was something you without even realizing it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nashy said:

I want to go to NK really bad actually.  The place intrigues me, and I want to see it from the ground.  I obviously wouldn't do dumb ###### while there, but there is more to the world than just what a local travel blogs tells you to do.

You could be the most well behaved visitor to NK ever, and they still might just decide to grab you and sentence you to 15 years hard labour on some invented charge, just to flex their muscles at the USA.  Just ask Otto, I'm sure he can verify tha... Oh, wait...

7 hours ago, Nashy said:

EXACTLY!

On topic: I am not victim blaming here, but I certainly would not have stolen anything, especially not state produced artwork.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

EXACTLY!

On topic: I am not victim blaming here, but I certainly would not have stolen anything, especially not state produced artwork.

IF that even happened at all...

Well, I really do think the next person who goes there really does deserve it because now goes like this.....

"if you voluntarily visit North Korea, you might DIE!" - Common Sense

Therefor "To visit North Korea you are RISKING YOUR LIFE!!!" - Common Sense

"If anyone didn't understand that before, they should now!" - Common Sense

5 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

IF that even happened at all...

I personally believe it did.

2 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Well, I really do think the next person who goes there really does deserve it because now goes like this.....

"if you voluntarily visit North Korea, you might DIE!" Therefor "To visit North Korea you are RISKING YOUR LIFE!!!" .... "If anyone didn't understand that before, they should now!"

Who are you quoting here?

Context, thousands of Westerners visit NK each year without incident.

• Like 1

Just now, Nefarious Trigger said:

I personally believe it did.

Who are you quoting here?

Myself

Just now, Nefarious Trigger said:

Oh okay, thought some sort of source on the subject. :)

The source was "Common Sense"

Just now, warwagon said:

The source was "Common Sense"

See the above comment about the 4000-6000 western visitors per year who don't end up in this mess.

One could suggest that driving a car is less safe.  Quick get rid of cars!

2 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

True, but it would be more like driving a car which has a known recall, were the when getting slammed from the rear, the gas tank explodes. Will it happen? Maybe not, but I wouldn't want to be driving that car.

Just now, warwagon said:

True, but it would be more like driving a car which has a known recall, were the when getting slammed from the rear, the gas tank explodes.

Not at all.  Playing the percentage game alone, driving any hypothetical car is less safe.

3 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

See the above comment about the 4000-6000 western visitors per year who don't end up in this mess.

Last I checked, car's aren't a sworn enemy of the driver. Any American who wants to travel to NK should doing so knowing the the risk of either dying/being detained/thrown in prison is significantly higher than other visitors who aren't American. Travel should be banned honestly, unless you have family there, in which case, they probably aren't around or are under intense scrutiny.  

2 minutes ago, shockz said:

Last I checked, car's aren't a sworn enemy of the driver. Any American who wants to travel to NK should doing so knowing the the risk of either dying/being detained/thrown in prison is significantly higher than other visitors who aren't American. Travel should be banned honestly, unless you have family there, in which case, they probably aren't around or are under intense scrutiny.  

Aaaaaaaaaaand, I'm not American

1 minute ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Aaaaaaaaaaand, I'm not American

Aaaandddd we're talking about Otto Warmbier, an American, in which the replies you're discussing regarding common sense are also doing. Don't be so obtuse.

2 minutes ago, shockz said:

Aaaandddd we're talking about Otto Warmbier, an American, in which the replies you're discussing are also doing so. Don't be so obtuse.

No we aren't.  

16 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

"if you voluntarily visit North Korea, you might DIE!" Therefor "To visit North Korea you are RISKING YOUR LIFE!!!" .... "If anyone didn't understand that before, they should now!"

The word used here is "You" not "Otto".

The numbers cited were "western" visitors, not "American".

"I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to go to North Korea" - Anyone, not American, anyone!

Don't you be so illiterate.

3 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

No we aren't.  

The word used here is "You" not "Otto".  Don't you be so illiterate.

Nope. Wrong. See OP, as well as warwagon, to which you replied regarding common sense, to which I replied to you about, all in all keeping the OP/OT in check. Try again. Sorry, not sorry you can't handle being called out (N)

Just now, shockz said:

Nope. Wrong. See OP, as well as warwagon, to which you replied regarding common sense, to which I replied to you about, all in all keeping the OP/OT in check. Try again. Sorry, not sorry you can't handle being called out (N)

If that's what you wish to think, then fair enough.  The OP is about Otto sure, but the discussion is on a global forum between people of different backgrounds - it has evolved beyond Otto as soon as people make blanket statements.  Sorry you are struggling to keep up.  "Try again".

19 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

If that's what you wish to think, then fair enough.  The OP is about Otto sure, but the discussion is on a global forum between people of different backgrounds - it has evolved beyond Otto as soon as people make blanket statements.  Sorry you are struggling to keep up.  "Try again".

I'll spell it out, in this topic, we're talking about an American and his death, and how it resulted. Maybe now, you can better understand why you're wrong. If you can't figure that out, well, not my problem. We're not the ones trying to take it off topic, you are. One other poster out of the two pages isn't defined as a blanket statement or broad generalization lol.

Regardless, if you end up dead after removing a piece of propaganda, it's probably not the best place to visit. For anyone. 

Edited by shockz