All that needs to happen now is Dragon 2 success and BFR Dev to go by-the-numbers.

Imagine, ten years from now, how hot SpaceX's value is going to be. Starlink is gonna be up and running, BFR/BFS is going to be THE platform of choice for literally everything ... and that's just SpaceX's stuff. :yes: 

The 2020's are gonna be great.

4 hours ago, DocM said:

The BFR factory site is cleared & needs filling, StarLink's VLEO constellation getting approved, Boca Chica is being built, etc. etc.

This is a $500 million funding.

Just my opinion but Boca Chica will be pocket change for another "grasshopper" . BFR/BFS was envisioned to be done via SpaceX profits as is...Starlink is on another level and will command more than 90% of this. 

See my post 5 minutes ago in Starlink...Starlink is bigger than BFS/BFR at this moment.

The team at our rocket development facility in McGregor, Texas completed a static fire test last night of the Falcon 9 booster that will launch SpaceX’s first demonstration mission for @NASA’s Commercial Crew Program – one step closer to flying astronauts to the @Space_Station!

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1055978878043181056

DqeW9mtX0AASXaC.thumb.jpg.ec77fcdfbf50817ac3f366076913c6db.jpg

//   I also put this in CC...this is huge..this puppy has the new COPV's and it's eventual static fire coming up at 39A will begin the "fueling 5 count". 

That's Falcon 9 Block 5 B1051.1. A normal flow would mean this could be processed for a December mission, based on the timeline of SF at McGregor-to-Launch. DM-1 is, however, also pending Dragon 2 preparation status and the recently noted "Paperwork" on the NASA side.

https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/1055980118194171907

• Like 2

"NASA Invites Media to 16th SpaceX Cargo Launch to Space Station" - which firms up the launch date target of *December 4*, T-0 at 1:38pm EST. Booster will be landing at LZ-1.

https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/1057651378523435013

• Like 1

Bloomberg..

SpaceX Seeks $750 Million Loan Via New Arranger BofA

Elon Musk’s rocket company SpaceX is planning to launch a $750 million leveraged loan this week, which will now be led by Bank of America Corp. instead of Goldman Sachs Group Inc., according to people with knowledge of the matter.

Bank of America has scheduled a Nov. 7 presentation for potential investors, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the transaction is private.
>

For context, this is from April 15, 2018

Party balloon then was interpreted as using a ballute, but if it has BFS aerosurfaces and heat shields that's likely out.

Never a dull moment with SpaceX...

• Like 1

r/SpaceX is too talented. Render of Falcon 9 with mini-BFS upper stage by u/purpleefilthh

https://twitter.com/TGMetsFan98/status/1060315564646821898

Drb_YVCVAAEw1o8.thumb.jpg.2b0ad051668b30e70f8a6730137df849.jpg

larger image...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Drb_YVCVAAEw1o8.jpg:large

• Like 2

SpaceX circulates price guidance on $750 million term loan https://reut.rs/2Qs4cHU

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1060308517075255297

SpaceX circulates price guidance on $750 million term loan

NEW YORK (LPC) - Elon Musk’s rocket and spacecraft company SpaceX on Wednesday circulated pricing on a proposed $750 million term loan that will put cash on the company’s balance sheet, two sources said.

The company floated pricing in the 400bp-425bp over Libor range with a 0% floor and a discount of 99. The loan will have six months of soft call protection at 101.

Bank of America Merrill Lynch is leading. Commitments are due November 16.

As it markets the deal among potential investors, SpaceX is keeping close tabs on the company’s financials, according to sources.

However, this secrecy has not deterred interest from the investment community.

“It’s a brave new world,” said one loan investor. “I think there are some companies in this new economy space that are really interesting and this is why you’re seeing Uber and WeWork and even Tesla to some extent able to line up debt.”

SpaceX is based in Hawthorne, California, and employs more than 6,000 people. Elon Musk, the chief executive of Tesla, founded the company in 2002 with the goal of assisting humans in living on other planets.

SpaceX declined comment. BAML did not immediately return a request for comment.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-spacex-pricing-idUSKCN1NC2WR?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5be370d204d3015cddbb1ab4&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

• Thanks 1

It's a really, really smart move. Having a sub-scale article like this lets them do all sorts of real-world testing on the materials and aero surfaces that the simulations can't possibly predict. The "kitchen sink" testing methodology. I'm a strong proponent of it. :yes: 

• Like 2

Can someone explain to me how they are landing the second stage in layman's terms?  I can make some assumptions but aerosurfaces and high mach control surfaces are a couple new word I haven't seen much here.  I assume high mach control surfaces are new ways of directing stage 2 on the way down?  I did a little looking up on Aerosurfaces and it talks about gliding down, but I don't see stage 2 or BFS having wheels and landing like the shuttle did so what are they going to do?  I've also seen the Mars simulation but they can't fire the mVac engines up for a propulsive landing.

You guys know what everyone else does from the tweets.

My guess...

Boca Chica for the sub orbital test vehicle, which includes propulsive landing.

F9 second stage mod for LEO ED and not L....but they will want to look over the goodies in addition to telemetry...non reusable.

Aerobrake, lifting body to "skydive mode" and then chute/parafoil into the drink with bouyancy ring, bouncy castle or questionable Mr Steven but the size bothers me and damage to ship is too risky for my liking.

My guess is that they will "claim" a previously enjoyed S1, also use it for analysis as it gets pushed past 3 to 5 uses.

I would think 2 or maybe 3 modified stages in quick order...approx 8 months...costs being fuel, handling and mod S2 

What do I know, I'm just an internet troll.

My now evolved guess is a dedicated test vehicle with a close to full fidelity outer mold line. F9 S2 subs for the BFS propulsion module/tanks. May not use the MVac nozzle extension. The rest is a CF layup & ballast.

Validates the aerodynamics up and down, and tests the fins during a Skydiver descent.

A landing must be done to evaluate the thermal protection system(s) so it needs a basic guidance system,  a return mechanism, and an RCS.

ISTM all these can be done using items already tested for fairing recovery; cold gas thruster RCS, a riff of the fairing guidance system, and the GPS guided parafoil (but larger.)

Dedicated test flights using a high mileage Flight Proven™ booster.

Edited by DocM
  • Like 3

Mr Steven will be a shocker to the folks at Fish Lips :)

That new drone ship will be ASDS A Shortfall of Gravitas 

Having two drone ships means they can catch both Falcon Heavy boosters at sea for expended center-core  launches to high energy destinations. Mars, asteroid belt, the outer planets, super-heavy payloads etc.

Falcon Heavy will be open for business 👽

Edited by DocM
  • Like 1

Scott Manley, as usual, brings up great points...

This whole situation is a very tough call...

We have seen SpaceX perform most of their iterative testing while flying customer payloads...this is very smart for resource utilization.

At this juncture in time, a reliability reputation is being cemented, further enhanced by the latest NASA payload certification and customers are evolving to first stage reusability. I feel that this can not be interfered with...this pays the bills for 7000 employees.

Again though, SpaceX has been consistent... in stunning us with how far they will go...but at this point, in development, we have time as an enemy. BFS testing is very important...but the constellation, in my opinion, is more important....the "chicken or the egg""...well, maybe a bit of both. (BFS context for constellation launches)

First mini BFS hops from Boca Chica by end of 2019.....and constellation initial launches around the same time. It appears the biggest data venues are Entry/Descent characteristics with control surfaces and of course TPS.

For this, the Mvac bell bothers me less as telemetry will be indicative of a more turbulent environment and still represent force/actions for interpretation. The TPS can be monitored via telemetry sensors for heat displacement, even better if IR equipment used for observation as the S2 can be brought down over a telemetry receptive area and observational equipment can be made available. If they can recover bits of stage 2 for inspection, that would be great but I am less convinced of the importance of this action. I think telemetry, few extra heat transducers and IR observation will supply what they need.

This can be carried out many times before the end of 2019, leaving customer payloads alone but utilizing S2 after payload deployment to gather the required data. We don't really need a recovery and this really saves money and a lot of hassle.

I like this approach with the addition of observational surface equipment and telemetry acquisition by controlled stage re-entry.

In the end, we all want to see futuristic eye candy but I feel here we need to run the business and acquire what is needed in an affordable and "timely" fashion.

// This is my approach for today...till someone else throws a wrench at it, like ^^^.

😎

Falcon 1 Flight 1 at distance

From National Geographic "Mars" primer....new footage?

video is 32 seconds

//   Remember kids, the only difference between messing around and scientific experimentation is...writing it down somewhere.......and sometimes youtube