Nexus 6P Battery Issues

techbeck    7,561

So I started having issues with my N 6P shutting down without warning when the battery life says 25% available.  Apparently this is a big issue with these devices.  Some say replacing the battery fixes is while others say downgrading back to v6 of the OS fixes the issue.  So no real telling if it is hardware or software issue.  Luckily, Google is replacing my phone since I ordered it via the Play Store even though the warranty expire Nov 2016.

Anyone else having issues with the 6P and the battery shutting down prematurely?

tsupersonic    1,977

Yep! I started having this issue back around in May. I purchased my 6P from Amazon in December of 2015. Amazon was so kind they agreed to refund me the full price if I sent the phone back even though it's out of warranty. I also had an issue where I never got good battery life - even when the phone was new I got a max of 3h of SoT. It wouldn't last the full day, even though Accubattery said my battery capacity was 82-85% of 3450 mAh. The only way to get around the issue is to replace the battery. Downgrading to Marshmallow will NOT fix your issue (as Huawei is placing the blame on Google). This is a Huawei issue, and they have terrible customer support. I will NEVER buy another Huawei device again.

If it truly was a Nougat issue, we'd be hearing about it from all different Android manufacturers (Samsung, LG, HTC, Moto, Sony, etc.). Replacing the battery is pretty risky, but there has been great success by many. I myself decided to upgrade to an S8+, because I was sick of charging the phone 2-3x a day.

techbeck    7,561

I have always had pretty good battery life.  Just the past few months it went to crap.  Some say v7 caused the issue while going back to v6 resolved it .  Some say this didnt work.  So hopefully the replacement I get from Google fixes the issue.    When I get the replacement, I am not going to install anything on it and run it down right away to see when the phone shuts off.  So hopefully, it will fix it.  I will report back in a few days or so.  I really like the phone, just sucks this has to happen.  But oh well, had it for 2yrs and the new Pixel should be coming out soon so maybe I will go with that.

+Ely    218

It appears to be a widely spread issue that happens to the phone after around a year or year and half of usage, mine started draining the battery very fast, to the point where a new charge would not last more than a few hours, then it went down to an hour, then it started dying with it was still showing %25 of battery left, I called Google and they sent me a replacement last month.

techbeck    7,561

I got a replacement on order.  I did a factory reset/complete wipe yesterday and so far, appears to be much better.  Phone is snappier and things like Smart Lock popped up when it didnt before.  Also, my alarm I used to only have to press the onscreen icon to silence it, not I have to slide to silence.  So things are a little different (same OS version) so I am curious if things were just screwed up.  I have not done a complete wipe since I got my phone about 2yrs ago.  Time will tell tho and I have not run down my phone below 25 yet to see if that is still happening.  But like I said, I got a replacement coming.

techbeck    7,561

Got my replacement phone today.  Rooted and all setup.  I don't think it has the issue where it shuts of at 25 percent anymore considering the phone was on when I got it and almost out of juice.  Going to use it for a few days before unrooting and sending back the old device.

techbeck    7,561

Old phone shipping back today.  Unrooted and relocked the bootloader.  New phone is working great.  So if anyone has issues and it is bought via the Play Store, Google will do an out of warranty replacement.

techbeck    7,561
On 7/27/2017 at 4:25 PM, Ely said:

It appears to be a widely spread issue that happens to the phone after around a year or year and half of usage, mine started draining the battery very fast, to the point where a new charge would not last more than a few hours, then it went down to an hour, then it started dying with it was still showing %25 of battery left, I called Google and they sent me a replacement last month.

Mine shutdown at 25 percent as well.  What is funny is that when I started the phone back up after, the battery said 16 percent available.

• Like 1
+Ely    218
4 hours ago, techbeck said:

Mine shutdown at 25 percent as well.  What is funny is that when I started the phone back up after, the battery said 16 percent available.

Yeah, it's crazy, I feel sorry for the people who are blaming the OS and never attempted to get a replacement and it really appears to be a hardware issue, I'm happy with my replacement, it's been working nicely but I'm probably gonna sell it and buy the new Pixel when it comes out, is your new one working fine are you happy with it? also do you install a custom ROM on it or use factory Android?

techbeck    7,561
4 hours ago, Ely said:

Yeah, it's crazy, I feel sorry for the people who are blaming the OS and never attempted to get a replacement and it really appears to be a hardware issue, I'm happy with my replacement, it's been working nicely but I'm probably gonna sell it and buy the new Pixel when it comes out, is your new one working fine are you happy with it? also do you install a custom ROM on it or use factory Android?

I like my 6P and the replacement is just like new even tho it is a referb.  I always keep my previous phones for backups so I will be keeping this for a while.  Hell, I still have my MyTouch 3g in a box some place.  Miss my G1....  Plan on getting the new Pixel myself.  Possibly.

No custom ROM.  Have not put a custom ROM on the 6p at all actually.  I have it rooted and TWRP installed tho.  I use Apex launcher to get the look/feel I want.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
+warwagon    14,145

too bad you just can't easily swap the battery out.

techbeck    7,561
On 8/19/2017 at 9:38 PM, warwagon said:

too bad you just can't easily swap the battery out.

Google got me a diff phone so all is good.  There are videos online on how to replace the battery.  I think thinner phones are getting, pretty soon there will be no removable batteries.  Which is fine since I never had a battery go bad before.

• 3 months later...
Mitak    0

About 4 months ago my Nexus 6P (purchased from Google Play Store in Nov 2015) started powering down even though the battery showed 50%; it would charge to 100% every night but by noon the next day it was powering off; I started using a portable battery recharging the phone mid day then recharging both over night; finally I tired of this routine and went to UBreakIFix and explained the problem (they are a certified partner of Google); they said that it was common for this device to need battery replacement so I paid $89 to replace the battery (yes I know the battery is only $18 on Amazon but I didn't want to attempt the installation); I charged the new battery and it was working until i tried to take a picture with the camera then the phone powered off (battery was at 96%); took it back to UBreakIFix and they replaced the 'new' battery with another new battery; I charged that battery and it was working until i started playing games on my phone then the phone powered off.  Each time the phone powered off it would not power back on until I plugged it into the electric charger.  Two new batteries in 48 hours and the problem was worse.  So, i started researching and found all the other posts from Nexus 6P owners.  I called Google they transferred me to Huawei who told me that my phone was out of warranty and the best that they could do is replace the battery for $136 US dollars.  I explained that it was obviously not the battery since I had already replaced it twice.  They then told me that because I allowed UBreakIFix to open the device they would do nothing more.  I called Google back and let them know what I experienced with Huawei; they called Huawei while I was on hold; then told me that Huawei would help me so they transferred me again; I spoke to a different Huawei rep who was much more aggravated that I expected more than a battery; I eventually hung up on him and called Google back (third time); Google said how sorry they were that I experienced this with Huawei and put me on hold while they called Huawei again; after 15 minutes Google came back to suggest that I call Huawei because they were unable to get through.  Bottom line is both Google and Huawei know there is a problem but they are pointing the finger at each other meanwhile 6P owners are in the middle.  Here is a link I found to join a class action law suit related to this issue:  https://chimicles.com/google-nexus-6p-battery-early-shutoff-bootlooping-class-action-investigation/

Spread the word Google and Huawei are not taking responsibility for the defect in the Nexus 6P!!!!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By indospot
      Sony introduces the Xperia 5 II with a 120Hz 21:9 display, 5G, and triple cameras
      by João Carrasqueira

Sony's smartphones aren't among the most popular nowadays, but that isn't stopping the company from making more of them. Today, Sony announced the Xperia 5 II, and if you're confused, this is closer to the Xperia 1 II flagship than the Xperia 10 II, which was a mid-ranger.

The Xperia 5 II has the same Snapdragon 865 chipset as the Xperia 1 II, and at least in some European markets, it supports 5G, though that won't be the case in the United States. It also has 8GB of RAM, but it cuts down the storage to 128GB, half of what's offered in the Xperia 1 II, though you can expand that with microSD cards.

One of the big changes is in the display, which is a 6.1-inch 21:9 Full HD+ panel with HDR, but with a 120Hz refresh rate and a 240Hz touch sampling rate and motion blur reduction. By contrast, the Xperia 1 II had a 6.5-inch 4K display, but it had a standard refresh rate. The smaller display also allows the phone to be more compact, which is one of the selling points touted by Sony. Despite that, it has the same 4,000mAh battery as the bigger brother.

As usual, the camera setup is a focus for Sony, with three cameras on the back of the phone borrowing technology from the company's Alpha cameras. All three cameras are 12MP, and they have different focal lengths and field of view, ranging from 34° for the telephoto camera to 124° for the ultra-wide camera. It features Sony's Real-time Eye AF, which means you can keep subjects in focus more easily as they move around. The phone can record video at 4K and 120 frames per second so you can get "cinematic" slow-motion video when you play it back at 24 frames per second.

The Sony Xperia 5 II wil be available on September 29 in the U.S, according to the sales page, and it costs $950. In Europe, Sony only said it's coming in the fall, and it will cost €899/£799.

• By Abhay V
      Samsung details its first One UI 3 beta release
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Samsung officially announced the One UI 3 Beta Program last week for developers, letting registered users sign up to receive the first bits of the Android 11-based operating system on the Galaxy S20 line. While the public beta should also be coming soon, the changelog for the first One UI 3 beta release has been shared by users that have received the update.

The changes seem to bring improvements to customization options, such as the ability to use a double-tap gesture on the home screen to lock the device, tailor the call screen look with custom images, and more. There are multiple improvements being made to inbox apps too, including Samsung Keyboard, Internet, Reminders, Contacts, and more. There are enhancements to the Always-On Display (AOD), lock screen widgets, and camera performance.

While the changelog is extensive, there seem to be minor enhancements across the OS being brought to the next major One UI version, rather than major changes. Interestingly, one of the limitations of the beta is that users will be unable to use third party themes.

Here is the complete changelog:

As mentioned earlier, the release is currently only available to registered users on the S20-series. The South Korean company will eventually open the Beta Program to more devices and users, with it being first available in the U.K., the U.S., China, Germany, India, Poland, and South Korea.

Considering that this is the first-ever One UI 3 beta release, there could very well be more changes in subsequent builds. It will be interesting to see what other tweaks the firm makes to the skin, not just for the S20 series, but also for its foldable devices.

Source: Android Police

• By anmol112
      Microsoft Outlook for Android and iOS get updated with improvements and bug fixes
      by Anmol Mehrotra

Microsoft has released a new update for its Outlook app on Android and iOS. The new update brings improvements and bug fixes to the iOS app. For Android users, the new update improves the dual-screen experience. Here is the full changelog for the update:

Here is the full changelog for the iOS update:

Microsoft has been consistent with updates for the Outlook app. Earlier this month, Office Insiders got an option to sync multiple calendars with Outlook. Last month, Microsoft brought support for custom notification actions as well as 'Play my Email' feature to Outlook for Android.

The latest update bumps the Outlook for Android app to version 4.2035.2 and can be downloaded from the Google Play Store. The iOS app, on the other hand, gets bumped to version 4.55.0 and can be downloaded from the App Store.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      OPPO announces ColorOS 11 based on Android 11, rolling out to over 28 phone models
      by Jay Bonggolto

OPPO today announced the latest iteration of its ColorOS skin based on Android 11. The company says ColorOS 11 retains the stock Android experience while also offering new customizations courtesy of its “Make Life Flow” concept.

ColorOS 11 introduces three new color schemes and contrast levels to its dark mode. It also allows you to customize your own Always-On Display, theme, wallpaper, fonts, icons, and ringtones. OPPO is also building on its three-finger screenshot capture and launching a new translation capability in collaboration with Google. The new update allows you to translate texts contained in screenshots taken through that method, thanks to Google Lens.

There's a new multitasking feature as well called Flexdrop. In addition, you can switch between smart home devices via a new Device Control menu without downloading new apps. To save battery life when your device is running low on power, ColorOS 11 lets you pick six apps for the new Super Power Saving Mode. And its new Battery Guard feature halts charging when your phone's battery reaches 80% at night to prevent damages from overcharging. When you wake up the next day, the battery will resume charging until it is full.

OPPO is also addressing lags and stutters resulting from high frame rates with the UI First 2.0. The company claims that this feature "boosts RAM utilization by 45%, improving the response rate by 32%, and the frame rate by 17%" to reduce lag. ColorOS 11 also beefs up users' privacy and security by adding a new feature called Private System, which partitions apps into two versions in order to manage data in a secure environment. It does that by storing user data in the second version of an app where it's protected using a separate fingerprint scan or password.

ColorOS 11 is available in beta from today on a batch-by-batch basis. Its official version is coming to more than 28 phone models starting with the Find X2 series, Reno3 series and more in the next few weeks. Here's a complete list of OPPO devices set to receive the update.

Today's unveiling makes OPPO one of the first OEMs to roll out Android 11 to users after Google announced last week the latest version of its mobile operating system. It comes as no surprise, though, since the Mountain View giant promised that the update would also launch on other smartphones from OPPO, OnePlus, Xiaomi, and Realme in addition to its own Pixel devices.

• By indospot
      LG formally introduces the Wing, a smartphone with a swivelling display
      by João Carrasqueira

LG has been refocusing its smartphone efforts this year, having already introduced the Velvet as one of its flagship devices. Back in May, we first heard that the company was preparing a smartphone with two displays that could form a T-shape, and today, it was formally unveiled to the world through an online presentation, with the name LG Wing. LG says the Wing is the first product that's part of the "Explorer Project", which aims to break the mold of what a smartphone is.

When you use it like a normal phone, what LG calls Basic Mode, the LG Wing has a 6.8-inch P-OLED display in the 20.5:9 aspect ratio and a 2460x1080 resolution. However, you can rotate the primary display around by 90 degrees, revealing the smaller 3.9-inch G-OLED screen underneath, which has a 1240x1080 resolution, meaning the aspect ratio is a square-ish 1.15:1. The displays can be used together for the same app, or for multitasking with different apps on each screen. In swivel mode, the horizontal display has a new home screen with a carousel for your apps.

The LG Wing also has a pretty interesting triple-camera setup, starting with a primary 64MP primary camera with OIS. It also has a 13MP ultra-wide camera for use in basic mode, plus a 12MP ultra-wide big pixel camera, which is meant to be used in swivel mode. The camera uses a gimbal camera system, which not only helps compensate for camera shake, it also allows the user to aim the camera at different areas of the frame. Using the smaller display, users can point at different parts of an image to center the camera on it, while the viewfinder is on the top screen. For the front-facing camera, there's a motorized pop-up 32MP camera, giving the main display more room to breathe.

Specs-wise, the LG Wing sits in the upper mid-range, with a Snapdragon 765G 5G chipset powering the experience, similar to the LG Velvet. It has 8GB of RAM and up to 256GB of internal storage, and the battery is 4,000mAh in size.

As you'd expect, having two displays on top of each other means the phone is pretty large, measuring in at 10.1mm thick, which is actually thicker than Microsoft's Surface Duo. It also weighs in at 260 grams, which is, again, slightly more than the Duo, but LG said it did a lot of work to get it that low, with initial prototypes weighing at 314 grams.

The LG Wing is launching next month in South Korea, with North American and European markets following sometimes afterward.