• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Nexus 6P Battery Issues

techbeck    6,907

So I started having issues with my N 6P shutting down without warning when the battery life says 25% available.  Apparently this is a big issue with these devices.  Some say replacing the battery fixes is while others say downgrading back to v6 of the OS fixes the issue.  So no real telling if it is hardware or software issue.  Luckily, Google is replacing my phone since I ordered it via the Play Store even though the warranty expire Nov 2016.

Anyone else having issues with the 6P and the battery shutting down prematurely?

tsupersonic    1,816

Yep! I started having this issue back around in May. I purchased my 6P from Amazon in December of 2015. Amazon was so kind they agreed to refund me the full price if I sent the phone back even though it's out of warranty. I also had an issue where I never got good battery life - even when the phone was new I got a max of 3h of SoT. It wouldn't last the full day, even though Accubattery said my battery capacity was 82-85% of 3450 mAh. The only way to get around the issue is to replace the battery. Downgrading to Marshmallow will NOT fix your issue (as Huawei is placing the blame on Google). This is a Huawei issue, and they have terrible customer support. I will NEVER buy another Huawei device again.

If it truly was a Nougat issue, we'd be hearing about it from all different Android manufacturers (Samsung, LG, HTC, Moto, Sony, etc.). Replacing the battery is pretty risky, but there has been great success by many. I myself decided to upgrade to an S8+, because I was sick of charging the phone 2-3x a day.

techbeck    6,907

I have always had pretty good battery life.  Just the past few months it went to crap.  Some say v7 caused the issue while going back to v6 resolved it .  Some say this didnt work.  So hopefully the replacement I get from Google fixes the issue.    When I get the replacement, I am not going to install anything on it and run it down right away to see when the phone shuts off.  So hopefully, it will fix it.  I will report back in a few days or so.  I really like the phone, just sucks this has to happen.  But oh well, had it for 2yrs and the new Pixel should be coming out soon so maybe I will go with that.

+Ely    213

It appears to be a widely spread issue that happens to the phone after around a year or year and half of usage, mine started draining the battery very fast, to the point where a new charge would not last more than a few hours, then it went down to an hour, then it started dying with it was still showing %25 of battery left, I called Google and they sent me a replacement last month.

techbeck    6,907

I got a replacement on order.  I did a factory reset/complete wipe yesterday and so far, appears to be much better.  Phone is snappier and things like Smart Lock popped up when it didnt before.  Also, my alarm I used to only have to press the onscreen icon to silence it, not I have to slide to silence.  So things are a little different (same OS version) so I am curious if things were just screwed up.  I have not done a complete wipe since I got my phone about 2yrs ago.  Time will tell tho and I have not run down my phone below 25 yet to see if that is still happening.  But like I said, I got a replacement coming.

techbeck    6,907

Got my replacement phone today.  Rooted and all setup.  I don't think it has the issue where it shuts of at 25 percent anymore considering the phone was on when I got it and almost out of juice.  Going to use it for a few days before unrooting and sending back the old device.

techbeck    6,907

Old phone shipping back today.  Unrooted and relocked the bootloader.  New phone is working great.  So if anyone has issues and it is bought via the Play Store, Google will do an out of warranty replacement.

techbeck    6,907
On 7/27/2017 at 4:25 PM, Ely said:

It appears to be a widely spread issue that happens to the phone after around a year or year and half of usage, mine started draining the battery very fast, to the point where a new charge would not last more than a few hours, then it went down to an hour, then it started dying with it was still showing %25 of battery left, I called Google and they sent me a replacement last month.

Mine shutdown at 25 percent as well.  What is funny is that when I started the phone back up after, the battery said 16 percent available.

• Like 1

+Ely    213
4 hours ago, techbeck said:

Mine shutdown at 25 percent as well.  What is funny is that when I started the phone back up after, the battery said 16 percent available.

Yeah, it's crazy, I feel sorry for the people who are blaming the OS and never attempted to get a replacement and it really appears to be a hardware issue, I'm happy with my replacement, it's been working nicely but I'm probably gonna sell it and buy the new Pixel when it comes out, is your new one working fine are you happy with it? also do you install a custom ROM on it or use factory Android?

techbeck    6,907
4 hours ago, Ely said:

Yeah, it's crazy, I feel sorry for the people who are blaming the OS and never attempted to get a replacement and it really appears to be a hardware issue, I'm happy with my replacement, it's been working nicely but I'm probably gonna sell it and buy the new Pixel when it comes out, is your new one working fine are you happy with it? also do you install a custom ROM on it or use factory Android?

I like my 6P and the replacement is just like new even tho it is a referb.  I always keep my previous phones for backups so I will be keeping this for a while.  Hell, I still have my MyTouch 3g in a box some place.  Miss my G1....  Plan on getting the new Pixel myself.  Possibly.

No custom ROM.  Have not put a custom ROM on the 6p at all actually.  I have it rooted and TWRP installed tho.  I use Apex launcher to get the look/feel I want.

• Like 1

+warwagon    13,116

too bad you just can't easily swap the battery out.

techbeck    6,907
On 8/19/2017 at 9:38 PM, warwagon said:

too bad you just can't easily swap the battery out.

Google got me a diff phone so all is good.  There are videos online on how to replace the battery.  I think thinner phones are getting, pretty soon there will be no removable batteries.  Which is fine since I never had a battery go bad before.

Mitak    0

About 4 months ago my Nexus 6P (purchased from Google Play Store in Nov 2015) started powering down even though the battery showed 50%; it would charge to 100% every night but by noon the next day it was powering off; I started using a portable battery recharging the phone mid day then recharging both over night; finally I tired of this routine and went to UBreakIFix and explained the problem (they are a certified partner of Google); they said that it was common for this device to need battery replacement so I paid $89 to replace the battery (yes I know the battery is only $18 on Amazon but I didn't want to attempt the installation); I charged the new battery and it was working until i tried to take a picture with the camera then the phone powered off (battery was at 96%); took it back to UBreakIFix and they replaced the 'new' battery with another new battery; I charged that battery and it was working until i started playing games on my phone then the phone powered off.  Each time the phone powered off it would not power back on until I plugged it into the electric charger.  Two new batteries in 48 hours and the problem was worse.  So, i started researching and found all the other posts from Nexus 6P owners.  I called Google they transferred me to Huawei who told me that my phone was out of warranty and the best that they could do is replace the battery for $136 US dollars.  I explained that it was obviously not the battery since I had already replaced it twice.  They then told me that because I allowed UBreakIFix to open the device they would do nothing more.  I called Google back and let them know what I experienced with Huawei; they called Huawei while I was on hold; then told me that Huawei would help me so they transferred me again; I spoke to a different Huawei rep who was much more aggravated that I expected more than a battery; I eventually hung up on him and called Google back (third time); Google said how sorry they were that I experienced this with Huawei and put me on hold while they called Huawei again; after 15 minutes Google came back to suggest that I call Huawei because they were unable to get through.  Bottom line is both Google and Huawei know there is a problem but they are pointing the finger at each other meanwhile 6P owners are in the middle.  Here is a link I found to join a class action law suit related to this issue:  https://chimicles.com/google-nexus-6p-battery-early-shutoff-bootlooping-class-action-investigation/

Spread the word Google and Huawei are not taking responsibility for the defect in the Nexus 6P!!!!!