Old stuff you still use...

1 hour ago, TAZMINATOR said:

It's a Plasma from Panasonic.   It's designed for home theater or professional applications.  

It doesn't have a tuner inside or built-in speakers.

That's my point... It's not a TV but a monitor.

1 minute ago, oldtimefighter said:

That's my point... It's not a TV but a monitor.

I know your point, but I don't care if it is called TV or monitor.     I have 4 monitors on my desk.  Plasma TV on my wall.  I use TV for that reason.  Don't worry about it.     

People call the PC tower "Hard Drive"   something like that.

When you have a truck...  you tell your son to get something from your truck like "Please get my hammer from my car for me."   Some people call the truck "car"  ...    I have not seen anyone complain about calling a truck "car" before... 

Dos 5 on floppy as well as, Windows 3 and 3.1 and 3.11, Windows 95 , Doom 1 Wolfenstein, Jill of the Jungle and finally Commander Keen. Sad but there you go.

early 70s Omega Seamaster Cosmic 2000, kinetic self winder my daily wearer. 45ish years old :) never skips a beat.

20170727_224941.thumb.jpg.6282b8c27f6d548d6f55a35c3a66821e.jpg

Bought it in 1990 in a pawn shop in Liverpool for £150, recently had it serviced & resealed by Omega, turns out due to its inner workings, informed to get it insured, now worth £3000. 

shouldnt really wear it to work daily, but i do :p heck whats the point in having it if i never wear it right? plenty other armani watches but i always end up wearing this.

ive got an analogue watch thing, caught it from my dad he collects watches and rebuilds old clocks.

Edited by Mando
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

I know your point, but I don't care if it is called TV or monitor.     I have 4 monitors on my desk.  Plasma TV on my wall.  I use TV for that reason.  Don't worry about it.     

People call the PC tower "Hard Drive"   something like that.

When you have a truck...  you tell your son to get something from your truck like "Please get my hammer from my car for me."   Some people call the truck "car"  ...    I have not seen anyone complain about calling a truck "car" before...

is this for real? Are you saying you are at the same technical level of someone who calls their PC tower the hard drive? I don't care if you or other people use the wrong word for things but it does matter.  You stated you couldn't hookup your Atrai 400 to your "TV" so you wasted someone's time posting a solution because you used the wrong word. BTW, I have never heard a truck owner refer to their vehicle as a "car". They actually like to go out of their way to say they own a "truck" even in casual conversation.

Probably the two oldest things I have that I use are a Hamilton Beech 3 speed mixer and cast iron skillets I got from mom. I remember her using the very same ones when I was much younger.

32 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

is this for real? Are you saying you are at the same technical level of someone who calls their PC tower the hard drive? I don't care if you or other people use the wrong word for things but it does matter.  You stated you couldn't hookup your Atrai 400 to your "TV" so you wasted someone's time posting a solution because you used the wrong word. BTW, I have never heard a truck owner refer to their vehicle as a "car". They actually like to go out of their way to say they own a "truck" even in casual conversation.

Tomato, tomaaato, let's just get back to talking about our cool old stuff. I just remembered I could probably include my wrought iron bed since it's over one hundred years old and I use it every night. It belonged to my great grandparents, then my grandparents and so on, now it's mine.

Something old I would use if I had one is one of those 1940s bakelite rotary desk phones. Maybe I'll get one on ebay someday.

4eae8b84062039ce4f1f170eaed63757--telephone-line-vintage-telephone.jpg

Edited by Rigby
  • Like 2

I still have a Master System II (Alex the Kidd model) and a Mega Drive.  They're a PITA to get working on new TVs.

8 hours ago, Yogurth said:

NAD Model 160 Receiver -1975

NAD160-04.jpg

B & O S-45.2 Speakers - 1978

s-l1600.jpg

Beautiful! :)(Y)

7 hours ago, Jason S. said:

the older you get the tendency is to use stuff as long as it just works. if it works, it's good enough. hell, my mom still uses things in the kitchen that are from the 70s.

Yup. I myself have always never bought/replaced stuff just for the sake of the latest model.

7 hours ago, Rigby said:

Older stuff tends to be much better made and often lasts a lifetime. Today everything is cheap disposable junk from China.

100% true! They just don't make them like they used to! Now it is mostly corporate greed that makes products with cheap quality innards that pack up in no time, forcing you to keep upgrading/replacing.

7 hours ago, John Constantine said:

I have a watch from 1952, still keeps time as good as the day it was made.

Looks close to this model:

DSCN6081.JPG?v=1444662642&sp=d5a433b8d93

WOW! :cool:(Y)

All of my Windows 3.11 installation floppy discs. There are 18 or 19 of them with a few more that were sent out later as updates. They are still in my storage.

Windows 3.11.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Barney T. said:

All of my Windows 3.11 installation floppy discs. There are 18 or 19 of them with a few more that were sent out later as updates. They are still in my storage.

Windows 3.11.jpg

Ah, but do you still use them? ;) I've got a few floppy disks that I used recently to try and recover my dad's diary entries from, but I wouldn't consider it to be something that is regularly used.

The oldest thing I can think of would be our sofa or the dining room table. We got them in '97/'98, they have moved country once and they have moved houses three times. Huh. I've spent a majority of my life with these things...weird.

4 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Ah, but do you still use them? ;) I've got a few floppy disks that I used recently to try and recover my dad's diary entries from, but I wouldn't consider it to be something that is regularly used.

The oldest thing I can think of would be our sofa or the dining room table. We got them in '97/'98, they have moved country once and they have moved houses three times. Huh. I've spent a majority of my life with these things...weird.

No, I am sure that they are brittle and would rip or break when inserted in the drive. My dad (he's 90) still insists on using a 3.5 mm disk drive. He doesn't want to go to the newer CD-R or RW :)

13 hours ago, Jason S. said:

the older you get the tendency is to use stuff as long as it just works. if it works, it's good enough. hell, my mom still uses things in the kitchen that are from the 70s.

That's because certain things were made with more care back in the day, things are rushed these days, some things are crap, even when new.

take for example computer screens, now they come with dead / stuck pixel thing where a seller says it may / will arrive with 1-5 dead / stuck pixels and this is normal.

never had that with the old monitors.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a GameBoy but don't really use it.

We have a few old kitchen things like containers (old tupperware is the best!) and cooking pots that we use daily.

A 6-9 year old WD Green drive I suppose - how boring!

I have a Dell Ultrasharp 24 inch monitor I bought in 2005.  In the last year 1/2 I'd hit the power button and nothing would happen. Then 2 mins later it would turn on spontaneously turn on. Then recently it wouldn't turn on at all. So I took it apart and replaced 6 bulging caps. Total repair cost, .60 cents! Now it turns on the first try every time and runs like a dream!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a comb that I use daily that is the same comb my mother combed my hair with when I was in kindergarten. That makes that comb about 50 years old.