Android 8.0 Oreo

techbeck    5,421

I just now installed via fastboot on my 6p and it is finishing up the update.  Just have to install TWRP and flash superuser yet.

Anyone install this yet for their devices?   Issues?  Comments?

PGHammer    311

Except for Pixels (and the last two Nexus devices), O has ZERO penetration in the wider marketplace (and likely won't until around Christmas selling season - closer to Thanksgiving in real-time).  While the S9 will likely ship with it (and the S8 and even S7 will get backports), will the backports be held up so as not to stomp on S9 sales?

• Like 1

oldtimefighter    2,934
47 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

Except for Pixels (and the last two Nexus devices), O has ZERO penetration in the wider marketplace (and likely won't until around Christmas selling season - closer to Thanksgiving in real-time).  While the S9 will likely ship with it (and the S8 and even S7 will get backports), will the backports be held up so as not to stomp on S9 sales?

What's the point of your comment in regards to Android 8 not having any market penetration? No kidding, it was just released.

I would assume the S7 and S8 won't get Oreo until the S9 comes out BUT other OEMs have been making noise about getting it out before the end of the year so maybe Samsung will also do something.

Edited by oldtimefighter

Nefarious Trigger    7,120
6 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

What's the point of your comment?

OP asked if people had installed it.  This goes some way to answering the question.  What's the point of your question?

oldtimefighter    2,934

I have been wanting to flash the OTA on my Pixel for the last week but have been lazy but it showed up today. :-) I am surprised since for some reason I am like last for any Google update or server side change. No Google protect in

5 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

OP asked if people had installed it.  This goes some way to answering the question.  What's the point of your question?

Are you and @PGHammer new to Android? Obviously, the OP was referring to people who have Nexus and Pixel devices. I am pretty sure he wasn't looking for Samsung user experiences.

I edited my comment to be more clear...

oldtimefighter    2,934

I have been thinking about manually flashing the OTA since it's been available but have been lazy. It did show today. :-) This is unusual for me as for some reason I am last for most Google updates and server side changes. The update's installation was uneventful while haven't played with it much yet can say I like the new setting layout but hate the increased white in the UI. Google trying to be the official mobile OS of heaven or something?

patseguin    1,064

I'm hoping to see it on my Shield TV. 

techbeck    5,421
52 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

I have been thinking about manually flashing the OTA since it's been available but have been lazy. It did show today. :-) This is unusual for me as for some reason I am last for most Google updates and server side changes. The update's installation was uneventful while haven't played with it much yet can say I like the new setting layout but hate the increased white in the UI. Google trying to be the official mobile OS of heaven or something?

No issues since I flashed it earlier. Did a dirty flash as well. And agree, not a fan of all the white. Would need nice to to able to adjust the colors

oldtimefighter    2,934
27 minutes ago, techbeck said:

No issues since I flashed it earlier. Did a dirty flash as well. And agree, not a fan of all the white. Would need nice to to able to adjust the colors

I didn't do a dirty flash but officially received the OTA. LOL

I will add that I like the new lock screen notifications.

Waiting for Substratum to come out with their rootless themeing engine for Android O so I can apply a dark theme.

+warwagon    10,279
1 hour ago, patseguin said:

I'm hoping to see it on my Shield TV. 

I'm really not impressed how slow Nvidia releases updates. Silly me thinking they would be one of the only OEM's to give me monthly security updates, not impressed. That being said, everything works, other than Netflix crashing every once and a while.

PGHammer    311
4 hours ago, oldtimefighter said:

What's the point of your comment in regards to Android 8 not having any market penetration? No kidding, it was just released.

I would assume the S7 and S8 won't get Oreo until the S9 comes out BUT other OEMs have been making noise about getting it out before the end of the year so maybe Samsung will also do something.

My point is that I don't like a policy that ODMs (yes - including Samsung) would be holding up backports for the express reason of forcing the sales of new devices.

LUTZIFER    473

Been using Android 8 since Google released it as beta, and have been loving it since.

Nefarious Trigger    7,120
10 hours ago, oldtimefighter said:

Are you and @PGHammer new to Android?

Using since Eclair

patseguin    1,064
9 hours ago, warwagon said:

I'm really not impressed how slow Nvidia releases updates. Silly me thinking they would be one of the only OEM's to give me monthly security updates, not impressed. That being said, everything works, other than Netflix crashing every once and a while.

Are they slow? I haven't had my Shield long but it seems like it has had shield experience 5.2 the while time. Netflix doesn't crash for me but HBO does all the time. The lag with the remote is annoying too. Still loved it though and it's by far the best streaming box out there.

+warwagon    10,279
2 hours ago, patseguin said:

Are they slow? I haven't had my Shield long but it seems like it has had shield experience 5.2 the while time. Netflix doesn't crash for me but HBO does all the time. The lag with the remote is annoying too. Still loved it though and it's by far the best streaming box out there.

I stopped using my Shield remote months ago. I've been using my Fire TV remote. 5.2 came out in February I think.

Atifbaig    0

No Issue Yet.Good ######.

PGHammer    311

I've actually thrown a pair of AVDs on my PC via the current Android Studio - yes - you can do that; you can even add AVDs preloaded with Google Play (which is true of two of mine - one fake Nexus 5 and one fake Nexus 5p) - both are running 8.0.  Now that the Android bug is toast, you can do that yourself.  The biggest surprise is that Oreo is FAST - I am used to Android on a PC (especially emulated with HAXM) being slow (does the word "snail" sound familiar?)  I have no idea what sped things up, but Oreo + HAXM is faster than MEMuPlay - which is still on Lollipop - on the same hardware - which makes absolutely zero sense at all.  Since I have no real ARM hardware to throw at it, I have to ask if anyone is seeing the same thing on real hardware.

Seahorsepip    567
14 hours ago, PGHammer said:

I've actually thrown a pair of AVDs on my PC via the current Android Studio - yes - you can do that; you can even add AVDs preloaded with Google Play (which is true of two of mine - one fake Nexus 5 and one fake Nexus 5p) - both are running 8.0.  Now that the Android bug is toast, you can do that yourself.  The biggest surprise is that Oreo is FAST - I am used to Android on a PC (especially emulated with HAXM) being slow (does the word "snail" sound familiar?)  I have no idea what sped things up, but Oreo + HAXM is faster than MEMuPlay - which is still on Lollipop - on the same hardware - which makes absolutely zero sense at all.  Since I have no real ARM hardware to throw at it, I have to ask if anyone is seeing the same thing on real hardware.

The emulator has been improved in the last few Android Studio updates, even older Android versions run faster now compared to before.

Still getting casual freezes in the emulator, especially with the Android Wear images, that results into having to fully restart the emulator.

PGHammer    311
6 hours ago, Seahorsepip said:

The emulator has been improved in the last few Android Studio updates, even older Android versions run faster now compared to before.

Still getting casual freezes in the emulator, especially with the Android Wear images, that results into having to fully restart the emulator.

I've had the odd freeze still (SystemUI and Pixel Launcher are the typical offenders - both are included by default in the Nexus 5 AVD with Google Play, so you can't exactly duck them).  The reason why I chose that particular AVD is because I am looking to replace my Galaxy Nexus as my backup phone).  The GNex is up for replacement for two reasons - I have changed tower providers (from VZW to T-Mobile); the GNex I have in particular is the toro model - which is only usable with VZW towers; which is a non-starter when you have T-Mobile as your provider.  That is why I currently have a Galaxy S7 as my default, in fact.  Rather oddly, the same S7 actually used to BE a VZW phone; that is due to a generational change that began with the Nexus 4 - instead of being tied explicitly to a specific carrier, you can take your phone to any carrier - as long as you have the proper SIM for that provider - it's not both SIM and hardware design , it's just the SIM.  That was a change from - rather cutely - the Galaxy Nexus.      End result - the Nexus 4 is far more motile in terms of carrier support than the toro version of the GNex.  The nice surprise is that the Nexus 4 is all of $125 today - in fast, throw in a triple-punch SIM pack from Tracfone (all of $1.00) and you basically break even from what you likely paid for your GNex if you bought yours pre-owned (which was the case with the one I am looking to leave).  Stock ROM support is a great big non-issue because my carrier is Tracfone - which means I am not handcuffed to stock (which you typically ARE with a traditional provider).  Even better, the community ROM selection is just as solid on the Nexus 4 as it was on the Galaxy Nexus plus - unlike the Galaxy Nexus - I have access to Android Oreo because - again, unlike the Galaxy Nexus - this is a quad-core SoC - in specific, the first of the Qualcomm Snapdragon SoCs.  So you have greater ROM choice and a beefier SoC - so you could go to Oreo, or simply go to - literally, the familiar ROM you ran on your GNex and be assured of snappier performance due to the beefier SoC (say, PureNexus, Resurrection Remix, or LineageOS 7.1.2 - all of which are out for both handsets).

I have saved a copy-and-pastable package based on the Nexus 4 + Tracfone triple-punch SIM package in case folks ask - more because both Tracfone AND Amazon have done me right as far as their pre-owned phones (I prefer resellers that fulfill via Amazon - and the provider I chose is no exception), so PM me if you are curious.

Edited by PGHammer