Need help! Repairing CR2 files!

Hi, i shoot a wedding recently and downloaded all the photos (Canon raw- CR2 files) from the CF card to hard drive, all the photos have the correct file sizes and If i’m scrolling down i can see the small previews perfectly but the problem start when i open the files. 

few days after i opened the files on lightroom and all the photos from the card are corrupted! I tried open the files in alot of programs but in every program it was damaged photos. 

Since this wedding i shoot 2 other weddings so i over wrote the memory card so can’t recover from the card.

I’ve tried every program that was recommended on the web include ExiftTool, cr2 repair and Hex editor but i can’t really understand how to handle file metadata.

I read in another topic that there is a chance that the header of the file is unreadable but there is a possibility that changing the data of the file can fix the problem. !?

I’m in desperate need for help because I'm out of options and don't want to have to tell this couple I have lost their photos. anyone knows how to handle file metadata on CR2, repair CR2,  have any recommendation on what to do or can do the work? 

every success even b&w/ small jpeg or every thing that can be rescued will be helpful.

I've worked with a few images that Lee provided via PM.

Here's an older thread with some details of the workflow that I tried:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1189919-need-help-will-pay-someone-familiar-with-repairing-cr2-files/

Briefly: snip out the high-resolution JPEG embedded in the CR2 and cut our losses with the RAW data. That strategy doesn't work in this case, and unfortunately I've hit the limits of my own (very little) understanding of JPEG and RAW file formats. I've tried dcraw, and this seems to do the JPEG recovery (viewable but mangled), as well as pump out a TIFF file. Both are corrupted - there seem to be bands of different exposures, slightly offset horizontally, running across each image. The TIFF file from the RAW data is more difficult to interpret.

dcraw does spit out an approximate location where it says that file corruption is present. I don't know enough of the file structure to find anything wrong by gazing in the hex editor. Maybe there are expected data lengths and checksums somewhere for chunks of the data?

Edit. For anyone on Windows, I got the dcraw binaries here:

http://www.centrostudiprogressofotografico.it/en/dcraw/

I've succesfully recovered photos in the same scenario (overwriting due to new shooots) as yours using recuva,  around a 75% success , recovering some, some remain corrupted)

though there are other deep file recovery options 

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By indospot
      Google Photos can now automatically back up pictures from Canon cameras
      by João Carrasqueira

Google has announced a new integration between its Google Photos storage service and Canon cameras. It's now possible to have photos from compatible Canon cameras backed up automatically to Google Photos, which should save users some trouble when transferring photos to a computer.

The integration relies on the image.canon app, which is available on both Android and iOS. If you have a camera that's compatible with the app - a compatibility list can be found here - you can head into the app's settings to set an automatic backup to either Google Photos or Google Drive.

The reason these are separate options is that Google removed the integration between the two services earlier this year, since users found it confusing. Google Photos integrates with some devices like smart photo frames so you can show off your pictures, whereas you can have random images stored on Google Drive that you don't want to be visible.

Once you enable automatic syncing, photos will be backed up in original quality. The feature does require a Google One subscription, so it's not exactly free storage, but considering file sizes from professional cameras can be fairly large, you'd probably need more than the free storage tier anyway. Canon users get a free month of Google One with 100GB of storage, so you can get started that way and decide if it's worth it.

• By eRajesh
      How to use Canon DSLR camera as a webcam with your PC
      by Rajesh Pandey

With almost all major countries shutting down due to coronavirus outbreak, millions of people across the globe have been forced to work from home. This, in turn, has led to a rise in video meetings and conferences. The problem is that the webcam on most laptops can be of poor quality which means that the video call quality is going to be equally poor. Then, there are people with PCs who don't have a webcam. In both cases, people can buy a webcam from Logitech or any other company to solve the problem. However, there has been a spike in demand for webcams which has led to them being in short supply and their prices increasing dramatically as well.

If you find yourself in a similar situation and have access to a Canon DSLR or PowerShot camera, you can use it as a webcam for your PC. While it is possible to use DLSRs from Nikon, Sony, and Fuji as a webcam with your PC as well, it requires one to buy a capture card which can cost anywhere between $100-$150. Canon DSLR owners though simply need a miniUSB/microUSB or USB-C cable to connect their camera to the PC and a utility from the company to turn their DSLR into a webcam.

Another benefit of using a Canon DSLR as a webcam is that it will offer superior video quality compared to your laptop's webcam. So, if you are giving online presentations or holding classes online, you should consider using your Canon DSLR as a webcam for the superior video quality it offers instead of relying on your laptop's built-in webcam. One thing to note is that this method will only work if you have a Windows PC because the utility from Canon is currently not available for Macs.

The following Canon DSLRs and PowerShot cameras are supported by the EOS Webcam Utility and can be used as a webcam.

Step 1: Go to the Canon EOS Webcam Utility page on your PC and then select your camera model to download the utility. Proceed to install the utility on your PC and restart it after everything is done.

Step 2: Grab your Canon camera, power it on, and set it to Movie mode. Depending on which Canon DSLR you own, you either need to rotate the mode selector dial to the icon that looks similar to a cinema camera or simply toggle between camera and movie mode using a dedicated button. After that, change the ISO levels, shutter speed, etc. as per your requirement.

Image Source: Canon Step 3: Now proceed to connect your camera to your PC using a miniUSB/microUSB or USB-C cable. After that, open the video calling app of your choice like Zoom or Microsoft Teams. Go to the app settings, find the camera option, and select the EOS Web Utility beta from the camera dropdown list.

Step 4: Wait for a few seconds and the feed from your Canon DSLR should show up on your PC. If it does not, make sure to quit Canon's EOS Utility app if you have it installed. If it still does not work, quit the video calling app you are in and repeat the steps again.

You should now be able to use your Canon camera as a webcam for your PC.

Skype users, do note that the version of the app that's available on the app store and the one that comes pre-installed on Windows 10 PCs does not work with the EOS Webcam Utility for some reason. You need to download and use the version of Skype that's available on Microsoft's website.

If you are still facing any issues in trying to set up and use your Canon webcam as a DSLR on your PC, drop a comment so that we can help you out!

• By Usama Jawad96
      Microsoft is retiring a Windows Media Player feature on Windows 7
      by Usama Jawad

Extended support for Windows 7 is slated to end in less than a year, and this means that developers might begin retiring services for the operating system too. One such example is Microsoft itself, which is removing a feature from Windows Media Player in Windows 7, as well as Windows Media Center in Windows 7, 8, and 8.1.

As spotted by Windows Latest, Microsoft has quietly updated a support document on January 26, now stating that new metadata won't be updated on media players in Windows 7, such as Windows Media Player and Media Center. The move also affects the latter in Windows 8 and 8.1 as well. Microsoft says that this decision has been made based on "customer feedback and usage data", stating that:

It is important to note that the discontinuation of this feature does not affect Windows Media Player in Windows 10. Furthermore, it also does not affect major functionalities such as playback, navigation, and streaming, so many users may not even notice that the updating of metadata on some older operating systems is no longer supported.

Source: Microsoft via Windows Latest

• By Usama Jawad96
      Google kicks off beta for peer-to-peer offline app installs
      by Usama Jawad

Back in June, Google started adding security metadata to an app's APK Signing Block in order to verify its authenticity during offline installations. The company stated that this would pave the way for secure offline peer-to-peer (P2P) installations in the future.

True to its word, the firm has now announced that it is kicking off its beta program for Google Play-approved P2P installations.

The first partner that Google has inducted into its beta program is popular file-sharing app, SHAREit. It plans to add support for Files Go by Google, and Xender in the next few weeks.

Support for secure P2P offline installations has been introduced keeping in mind developing countries where there is limited internet connectivity, which is also expensive. In areas like these, P2P offline installation is the primary method for sharing apps and other content.

Now, Google will automatically check the metadata of the app being transferred, and upon successful verification, add it to the user's Play Library. When the device connects to the internet again, the transferred app will also be able to update.

The company says that:

No effort is required from the developers or users in order to take advantage of secure P2P offline installations. Only apps which have APKs with the security metadata payload will be able to benefit from this feature.

• By zikalify
      Google starts adding image rights metadata to content in Google Images
      by Paul Hill

Google has announced that it has been working with the photo industry consortium CEPIC, and IPTC, the global technical standards body of the news media, in order to give users access to right-related image metadata in Google Images. Google said this data “is key to protecting image copyright and licensing information.”

The firm said that users will begin to see the Creator and Credit metadata when this information is available on Google Images. In the coming weeks it plans to add the Copyright Notice metadata to images too.

Discussing the news, Andrew Fingerman, CEO of PhotoShelter, said:

With its partnership with CEPIC and IPTC, Google hopes to create better usage guidance for photographers, photo agencies, and publishers. With the copyright information readily available, websites that reuse images for commercial purposes will be able to more clearly find out if the image they are using is allowed to be used in that way, and if it is, whether or not attribution is required, and who to.