Logitech Will Intentionally Brick All Harmony Link Devices Next Year

Logitech will intentionally brick all Harmony Link universal hubs next year, on March 16, 2018. The company has emailed all Harmony Link customers with the bad news.

There is nothing wrong with Harmony Link devices.

The company says a "technology certificate license" will expire next year, which they don't intend to extend.

The supposed license is crucial for Harmony Link devices, which means the company will have to shut down all products or face a legal battle with the unnamed certificate license owner.

In simpler words, Logitech has decided to give up on a product it advertised for the past few years just to cut some costs and will ship a firmware update on March 16, 2018, that will render all Harmony Link devices unusable.

/snip

BleepingComputer

Logitech customers are not happy, as they recently found out that the company would be discontinuing service for its popular Harmony Link remote system. The device and its cloud-based system allow users to control home theater and sound equipment from a mobile app. Customers received an e-mail explaining that Logitech will "discontinue service and support" for the Harmony Link as of March 16, 2018, adding that Harmony Link devices "will no longer function after this date."

While Logitech is offering a one-time, 35-percent discount on its Harmony Hub to affected customers that are out of warranty, that's not enough for Harmony Link users who are expressing their dissatisfaction on Logitech support forums and Reddit. Users have not experienced major problems with the Harmony Link system that would indicate they are approaching end of life. Harmony Link customers do not pay a subscription or service fee to use the device, either.

/snip

ArsTechnica

Logitech is offering a 35% discount on the Logitech Hub (for owners of the Harmony Link) ....  I wonder if they'll brick that in several years?

Updated article on the main page.

https://www.neowin.net/news/logitech-offers-free-upgrade-to-harmony-link-owners-after-backlash

Man that's so ######. I have a Hub and now I feel like they will do the same thing in a couple of years.

Now I need a real IR based device that is IFTTT compatible to link with my google home to control TV/aircon etc if this happens. No more compnay cloud. IFTTT compatibility or bust!

• 1 month later...