Major cause of dementia discovered

+Mirumir    5,390

Major cause of dementia discovered

An international team of scientists have confirmed the discovery of a major cause of dementia, with important implications for possible treatment and diagnosis.

Professor Garth Cooper from The University of Manchester, who leads the Manchester team, says the build-up of urea in the brain to toxic levels can cause brain damage - and eventually dementia.

• Like 5

Nefarious Trigger    7,121

Hopefully fewer and fewer people will have to suffer this undignified issue.

• Like 3

+FloatingFatMan    13,868
7 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Hopefully fewer and fewer people will have to suffer this undignified issue.

Agreed. No one should have to go through the kind of hell my entire family when through when my mum contracted Alzheimers at 55. 10 years of complete and utter hell, watching her die a little bit more every week, before her body finally just wasted away.

No one.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

DocM    13,069

Another study last week showed an association between canola oil in the formation of amyloid proteins in dementia. No such association was seen with olive oil.

Association not being causation, more studies are needed but this is looking interesting.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Agreed. No one should have to go through the kind of hell my entire family when through when my mum contracted Alzheimers at 55. 10 years of complete and utter hell, watching her die a little bit more every week.

No one.

It's absolute torture for all concerned.  When my father wasn't "suffering", he was still suffering as he was embarrassed by himself :(

• Like 1

Unobscured Vision    2,191

I just read the article ... crazy that it's something so preventable and treatable. My goodness. They're gonna follow up on this, without question.

I'm glad they discovered this.

[ADDITION] And it's disconcerting that Diabetics can get it more easily than others ... those with kidney issues too.

+Raze    13,879

Very good news, hope it leads to more discoveries and eventually treatments.  The sooner the better.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

It's absolute torture for all concerned.  When my father wasn't "suffering", he was still suffering as he was embarrassed by himself :(

It was maybe a little worse for my family because both my parents were nurses, specializing in the care of mentally and physically handicapped as well as dementia and Alzheimers' sufferers.  After 30 years of caring for such patients, my mum knew exactly what was going to happen to her from the moment she got her diagnosis.

Trust me that the one thing you never ever ever want to overhear, is your mum begging your dad to save her that torture and help her to die. The only thing that's come close was the news earlier this year that my wife has stage 4 bowel cancer.

+LimeMaster    15,319

It just occurred to me that certain people I know might be showing signs of dementia. Hopefully it won't be long until this is released to the public.

14 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

[ADDITION] And it's disconcerting that Diabetics can get it more easily than others ... those with kidney issues too.

That's what caused my father's.

13 hours ago, LimeMaster said:

It just occurred to me that certain people I know might be showing signs of dementia. Hopefully it won't be long until this is released to the public.

It may or may not have had any bearing, but I spent time looking at old pictures and places.  If nothing else, I at least kept him engaged.

• Like 2

+Mando    4,402
13 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

The only thing that's come close was the news earlier this year that my wife has stage 4 bowel cancer.

Sorry to hear that mate,

I lost my best mate 4 years ago post cancer of the optic nerve, 1 eye removed and all his teeth, but wasnt enough.

Stay strong for her mate, you need to be her rock, hard as hell to do, if you ever need to vent you know you can PM me buddy.

10 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

It may or may not have had any bearing, but I spent time looking at old pictures and places.  If nothing else, I at least kept him engaged.

Thats a good way to approach it mate. My dads mother had dementia and ive cared for a lot of patients in my previous role with dementia, its a weird condition, lots revert back to how they were as a child, my gran just turned nasty with it, but she was always a bitter woman, i suppose bringing up 9 kids on her own post war would do that to you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mando said:

My dads mother had dementia and ive cared for a lot of patients in my previous role with dementia, its a weird condition, lots revert back to how they were as a child, my gran just turned nasty with it, but she was always a bitter woman, i suppose bringing up 9 kids on her own post war would do that to you.

I personally consider that my dad died when he stopped being himself.  When he physically died, I felt like it was purely a physical thing and wasn't overly mournful.  I didn't associate the grumpy lost man with my father, as that's not how I chose to remember him - I don't see that as cold, I see it as very respectful and preserving his dignity.

• Like 3

+LimeMaster    15,319
1 hour ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Oh, that's a good idea! Thanks! (Y)

• Like 1

DocM    13,069
21 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

>

Trust me that the one thing you never ever ever want to overhear, is your mum begging your dad to save her that torture and help her to die. The only thing that's come close was the news earlier this year that my wife has stage 4 bowel cancer.

Oh bloody Hell, so sorry to hear of both FFM  :cry:

My exact feelings would never make it through the language filter. 

Crappola.....

• Like 2

Just got back to the thread. My sincere well-wishes and sympathies, @FloatingFatMan and to your family. Plague of the #*%&@(&@ multiverse, that. :cry:

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Be assured, your thoughts and well wishes are appreciated. :)

• Like 2

DocM    13,069

Just a note about the Canola study: a closer look at the data reveals the claims were exaggerated. Carry on.