This fit 21-year-old ignored the flu. Then it killed him, mom says

This fit 21-year-old ignored the flu. Then it killed him, mom says

The 21-year-old aspiring personal trainer had gone home for the holidays with “a snotty nose,” his mother recalled. He got worse — was coughing and running a fever. He died soon after.

kyler_baughman.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086

Full coverage

Bat[beep]crazy.

Nurse chiming in here. This was more than likely a bacterial pneumonia leading to sepsis, although it is possible for the influenza viruses to lead to sepsis as well. In any case, best advice. 1, Get the flu shot. 2, If your heart rate is >90 at rest, your breaths in 1 minute >20 at rest, and you have a fever, GO TO THE HOSPITAL AND SEEK TREATMENT DO NOT DELAY, don't ignore possible signs of sepsis.

54 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I should go to the doctor more often lol, last time I was there was 1997

What?! No yearly checkups or anything?

It is important to get annuals ... even if you believe and feel you are in exceptional health.  Annuals can help find and ultimately prevent problems before they occur (which may not only save you a lot of money down the road ... but also your life).

Better safe than sorry ... 

1 hour ago, sidroc said:

Nurse chiming in here. This was more than likely a bacterial pneumonia leading to sepsis, although it is possible for the influenza viruses to lead to sepsis as well. In any case, best advice. 1, Get the flu shot. 2, If your heart rate is >90 at rest, your breaths in 1 minute >20 at rest, and you have a fever, GO TO THE HOSPITAL AND SEEK TREATMENT DO NOT DELAY, don't ignore possible signs of sepsis.

Flu shot? No one wants to hear from medical professionals. We all have the Internet and know immunizations are scams by big medicine.

Edited by oldtimefighter

1 hour ago, Dot Matrix said:

What?! No yearly checkups or anything?

Well, I had a small one before my vasectomy in 2015.

1 hour ago, oldtimefighter said:

Flu shot? No one wants to hear from medical professionals. We all have the Internet and know immunizations are scams by big medicine.

Yeah, the Internet - that's the best place to find accurate information.  If you don't get a flu shot and then get the flu, you have yourself to blame.  How exactly are they scams, anyhow?  And please don't use the word 'mercury' in any of your responses.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, devHead said:

Yeah, the Internet - that's the best place to find accurate information.  If you don't get a flu shot and then get the flu, you have yourself to blame.  How exactly are they scams, anyhow?  And please don't use the word 'mercury' in any of your responses.

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.  :) 

1 hour ago, devHead said:

Sad that I really needed a /s after that comment.

3 hours ago, oldtimefighter said:

Sorry.  I should have known better.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sidroc said:

1,000 times this.  If you show the signs of sepsis there's NO room for delay, get to the nearest ER ASAP. 

• Like 1

My nickname used to be, Wilt The Stilt Chamberlain. Other than having a few skin sores, yeast infections, diarrhea, vomiting, and trouble swallowing, I've felt great. Doubt I need a stinking flu shot.

21 hours ago, oldtimefighter said:

well recent research shows that most people(not the risk groups) are actually better getting enough vitamin C than getting the flu shot. then again, if you're not in the risk groups. the flu isn't more than the flu anyway, 

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

well recent research shows that most people(not the risk groups) are actually better getting enough vitamin C than getting the flu shot. then again, if you're not in the risk groups. the flu isn't more than the flu anyway, 

What? That is wrong! Are you a medical professional? No? Don't tell people a flu shot is not really necessary. The flu shot is to prevent getting the flu which is enough. Thanks but when I have a crime issue I will ask you for advice.

Edited by oldtimefighter

2 hours ago, techbeck said:

Not surprising really.  Healthy people drop dead all the time.

This a real comment?

2 hours ago, oldtimefighter said:

What? That is wrong! Are you a medical professional? No? Don't tell people a flu shot is not really necessary. The flu shot is to prevent getting the flu which is enough. Thanks but when I have a crime issue I will ask you for advice.

Well, firstly there's the thing that healthy normal (non risk group) people don't die from the flu, they get sick for a few days, and get better. drink fluids.

outside of that. before you go attacking people, maybe look up facts about recent research. you don't have to "fight" everyone that informs you about something you didn't know. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-38988982

The analysis, published in the British Medical Journal, argues food should be fortified with the vitamin.

That is more effective than flu vaccination, which needs to treat 40 to prevent one case, although flu is far more serious than the common cold.

I'm assuming you also know how the flu shot works. that there s no "one" flu. there's a very very wild variety of them, the flu shot protects from a small handful of them. which ones are picked each year is mostly guesswork, at which ones might be big this year, it's almost as good as rolling the dice. if you get the flu shot and then get the flu, you have to be lucky enough to get one of the small percentage of strains it actually protects against. 

over here everyone gets the flu shot if they want, it's only really recommended for the risk groups. incidentally, as an asthmatic, I'm in those groups, but for me, the flu shot is useless as my body as it is, is perfectly capable of handling a small case of the flu. 

immunization is grreat and necessary, but in the case of the flu, it's over used and generally ineffective. 

4 hours ago, oldtimefighter said:

this years flu shots here where i live where completely ineffective.  i got that info from a medical professional, who had the shot and then herself got very sick.  

when she asked around, she found out that the shot had an older strain, and not currently active one, so instead of preventing flu it make it worse (as your immune system gears up for strain in the shot)    

she is a doctor in Canada with 30 years experience and she said she will not be getting a shot again, unless she can be certain that the strain is the one currently going around.

As hawkman said, unless you are in a risk group, getting the shot is not needed.