Theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking dead at 76

Stephen Hawking, whose brilliant mind ranged across time and space though his body was paralyzed by disease, has died, a family spokesperson said.

"He was a great scientist and an extraordinary man whose work and legacy will live on for many years," his children Lucy, Robert and Tim said in a statement.

Full article @ CBC News

I sincerely doubt I would have had the fortitude to cope with ALS crippling my body.  At least it didn't affect his brain.  Whether his theories are proven true or not, he undoubtedly left a big impact on physics and single-handedly helped push it in new directions.

They gave him only a few years to live when he was 21 years old. However, despite his debilitating disease, he definitely lived a fulfilling life.

Very sad news indeed. The book, A Brief History Of Time kick started my interest in the subject which still holds today.

He will be missed.

The world would be less smart today if it weren't for Stephen Hawking, a great man who inspired not only many scientists, but also many people with similar afflictions to not let their illness stop them from achieving amazing things.

Rest in peace, Professor Hawking. The world will never forget you.

76 years old...all things considered an incredible achievement (and possibly the least significant compared to all his contributions) and yet this news still took me by surprise.

Rest in peace. Humanity just got a bit more stupid with this loss. :(

• Like 3

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up.” -Stephen Hawking

RIP

• Like 2

Was pretty shocked to hear this last night. As someone who studied Astrophysics in college he was a very important part of my lexicon of knowledge. His contributions to not just his own field but Humanity as a whole will be surely missed.

I don't believe in religion etc (and I don't wanna disparage anyone) but I'd hope that somewhere out there, Prof. Hawking is sitting around a table with Einstein and Newton. Maybe even Carl Sagan as well. And they finally know all the answers to the questions they always asked.

RIP Professor Stephen Hawking - you will be missed and remembered for all time

• Like 3

5 hours ago, branfont said:

Not a lot of people noticed, but Hawking died on Einstein's birthday: March 14th.

Someone posted this to Reddit, it was originally made & uploaded to Youtube in 2011:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LOC said:

Was pretty shocked to hear this last night. As someone who studied Astrophysics in college he was a very important part of my lexicon of knowledge. His contributions to not just his own field but Humanity as a whole will be surely missed.

I don't believe in religion etc (and I don't wanna disparage anyone) but I'd hope that somewhere out there, Prof. Hawking is sitting around a table with Einstein and Newton. Maybe even Carl Sagan as well. And they finally know all the answers to the questions they always asked.

RIP Professor Stephen Hawking - you will be missed and remembered for all time

Oooh, to be a bystander to that conversation ... :yes: 

50 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Oooh, to be a bystander to that conversation ... :yes: 

TNG: Season 6 finale - “Descent"

Edited by DocM
  • Like 2

Hawking and Sagan were friends, so I imagine the reunion would be a happy one. Then they'd get out the whiteboard ... in comes Einstein and Newton and several more colleagues, thus invoking a very spirited discussion.

And then the orders for Chinese take-out begin. :yes: 

• Like 2

My son seems rather upset about Professor Hawkings passing. He always found him to be a great inspiration to work hard on his studies, as though he doesn't have a physical ailment, he does struggle with Aspergers and some ADHD (actually ADHD, not the hand waving that most GP's do). 

Thanks to Professor Hawking's inspiration, he's been offered a place in the 3 top universities in the UK based just on his predicted grades alone.  In Maths, Chemistry and Physics, he's not only currently the highest graded student at his grammar school, he's the highest graded they've had for 5 years. He's also in the top 10% for Geography, which he took "just for a change"...

He intends to go for a PhD in physics and is particularly interested in the fields of astrophysics and nuclear medicine.

channel 4 reran his self titled  "A Brief History of mine" documentary last night out of respect for the prof.

forgot how dammed good that documentary was tbh, seeing the close bond between his carer and himself, she had been his carer since she was 19 and was now an adult woman, you could see the bond and his sense of humour with her, it was pretty awesome to see.

gone but wont ever be forgotten.

• Like 2

LONDON (Westminster Abbey PR) — Westminster Abbey has today announced that there will be a Service of Thanksgiving later in the year for Professor Stephen Hawking, during which his ashes will be interred in the Abbey near the grave of Sir Isaac Newton.

The Dean of Westminster, the Very Reverend Dr John Hall, said today:

"It is entirely fitting that the remains of Professor Stephen Hawking are to be buried in the Abbey, near those of distinguished fellow scientists. Sir Isaac Newton was buried in the Abbey in 1727. Charles Darwin was buried beside Isaac Newton in 1882. Other famous scientists are buried or memorialised nearby, the most recent burials being those of atomic physicists Ernest Rutherford in 1937 and Joseph John Thomson in 1940. We believe it to be vital that science and religion work together to seek to answer the great questions of the mystery of life and of the universe."

2 minutes ago, DocM said:

LONDON (Westminster Abbey PR) — Westminster Abbey has today announced that there will be a Service of Thanksgiving later in the year for Professor Stephen Hawking, during which his ashes will be interred in the Abbey near the grave of Sir Isaac Newton.

The Dean of Westminster, the Very Reverend Dr John Hall, said today:

"It is entirely fitting that the remains of Professor Stephen Hawking are to be buried in the Abbey, near those of distinguished fellow scientists. Sir Isaac Newton was buried in the Abbey in 1727. Charles Darwin was buried beside Isaac Newton in 1882. Other famous scientists are buried or memorialised nearby, the most recent burials being those of atomic physicists Ernest Rutherford in 1937 and Joseph John Thomson in 1940. We believe it to be vital that science and religion work together to seek to answer the great questions of the mystery of life and of the universe."

and so well deserved im really stoked this is happening tbvh. 

quite ironic hes being laid to rest near Darwin....heh both of similar beliefs i believe. 

• 2 months later...

Stephen Hawking’s farewell: As his ashes were buried, his voice was beamed into space   -   Source

Luminaries from academia and science pay tribute to the late physicist’s incredible legacy.  “We remember Isaac Newton for answers,” said Prof Kip Thorne. “We remember Hawking for questions.”

• Thanks 3