Cheap Android phones and Bad Android phones

I had a LG G5 for 15 months. Three nights ago, the phone button suddenly will not place phone in sleep/screen off, so I ran the battery dry then charged phone.  G5 is now Fully charged, screen indicator and green charged light.  Power button does not work, does not turn phone on.  I followed troubleshooting steps, nothing worked.  

Salesman at the store said its a known G5 problem.  I am on the hook for $400 for "hardware upgrade"

Naturally I do not truth salesmen.  Was he talking the truth of the LG G5 ?

Is there any Android phones to avoid buying ?

I found super cheap Nokia phones running Win 8.1. 

iphones are too expensive and no option to add your own SD card, so I will not buy an iPhone.

Any advice, suggestions ?

• 1 year later...
On 4/12/2018 at 2:31 PM, techbeck said:

You can probably still pic up some 1st Gen Pixel phones.  Amazon has them for around $300 or so. 

Too tall (even on Amazon); I've seen refurbished (and from quality refurbishers - such as BuySPRY of Gaithersburg, MD) for as little as $120USD - my Mom has one - an original Pixel in Just Black.

The refurbished Pixel (regardless of color) makes sense for more reasons than price of the phone itself:

1.  It can swallow Android from Nougat/7 (which it came with) all the way to 10 (current).

2.  It has THE slickest import tool (software) designed into the OS - and it's standard in every Pixel.

3.  Unless you have a launcher preference (and sometime even if you do), Pixels (all of them) include the (at minimum) second-best launcher available for ANY Android phone at any price - Pixel Launcher - and at a cost of squat. (I actually fired Microsoft Launcher because I was able to go back to Pixel Launcher on my 3a.)

4. Why do you need a wireless charger when you have one of the fastest WIRED chargers out there?  (In fact, I have not seen one out there that can match it - and that can charge ANY phone given the proper cable; the refurbished models can include a USB-A->USB-C cable - which means the same charger can also work with your old phone or tablet and charge IT lickety-split; yikes! (It's faster than any (in fact - EVERY) Samsung AFC charger - which aren't slouches; even at charging Samsung phones.)  I'm hunting down a USB-A->USB-C charger that I can pack into a "go-bag" for this reason alone.