Santa Fe High School shooting

We have pretty damned tight knife laws in the UK including what you can own and what you can carry in public.

And yet knife crime is on the rise!

Laws tend, as a rule, to not be followed by criminals

7 hours ago, trag3dy said:

Just a little bit of false equivalence there. Unless you too are implying guns are making people go out and kill.

They're certainly empowering people and giving them a false sense of security and bravado.

15 hours ago, SuperKid said:

For me, guns scare me. If I see someone holding a gun I am scared. I don't like it when I see armed police with guns they make me so nervous. I guess I have just been bought up like that.

And to be honest, there is nothing wrong with that :). Guns are not for everyone.

The key I add is that does not mean I should then have my rights restricted as a result.

5 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

They're certainly empowering people and giving them a false sense of security and bravado.

That is not the gun. That is ego & arrogance, plain and simple.

14 minutes ago, ncoday said:

That is not the gun. That is ego & arrogance, plain and simple.

If you think guns don't give people a false sense of power, then you're much mistaken.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

If you think guns don't give people a false sense of power, then you're much mistaken.

If it does, then something is wrong in that situation.

21 minutes ago, ncoday said:

If course something is wrong in that situation! Someone is thinking about using a gun to murder people! Duh!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

If course something is wrong in that situation! Someone is thinking about using a gun to murder people! Duh!

Hey, just trying to keep the discussion civil.

By the way, my response was to whether guns give people a false sense of power, not whether or not murder is wrong.

2 minutes ago, ncoday said:

Hey, just trying to keep the discussion civil.

By the way, my response was to whether guns give people a false sense of power, not whether or not murder is wrong.

Sorry if I came across as otherwise, that was not my intent.

However, if you don't think people feel a sense of power when they have a gun in their hands, then I don't know what to tell you other than ask, have you ever held a gun in your hands whilst angry? Because I have, even though it was only a pellet gun, and I didn't like the feeling it gave me.

48 minutes ago, ncoday said:

Having and using  a gun gives someone the power of life and death over one or more other people.

There is a reason why the perpetrators of these types of incidents are socially maligned persons who feel aggrieved in any number of ways against society, or their classmates, teachers etc..

Thus in order to redress the balance as they see it, they want to feel powerful and so they use a gun.

You can of course be a responsible gun owner and have no desire to kill other humans (and there are many hundreds of thousands if not millions)

Locking this thread. You guys can continue at 

• patseguin locked this topic