• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Ignore turned on again - you can again ignore your fellow Neowinian

Recommended Posts

+JHBrown    13,221

As a member that will use products from a whole array of companies, thank you for bringing this back. It's sometimes rough when you don't ride the Microsoft wagon all the time on a predominately Microsoft website. The ignore feature came in handy. However, I must admit it's been nice around here lately. I haven't received a personal insult in quite a while. Great work in cleaning things up.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
techbeck    6,924
9 minutes ago, JHBrown said:

As a member that will use products from a whole array of companies, thank you for bringing this back. It's sometimes rough when you don't ride the Microsoft wagon all the time on a predominately Microsoft website. The ignore feature came in handy. However, I must admit it's been nice around here lately. I haven't received a personal insult in quite a while. Great work in cleaning things up.

Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!...sorry, couldnt resist ?

26 minutes ago, nekrosoft13 said:

to bad...

why?

Edited by techbeck
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+JHBrown    13,221
10 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!...sorry, couldnt resist ?

why?

MsZ5Esc.jpg

 

Unfortunately, one member here said my family was like a pack of dogs for using Apple products. The ignore feature worked perfect after failed report user attempts.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
techbeck    6,924
3 minutes ago, JHBrown said:

 

Unfortunately, one member here said my family was like a pack of dogs for using Apple products. The ignore feature worked perfect after failed report user attempts.

Would have just replied with *ruff ruff*.   But it is sad that people have to resort to insults.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shockz    5,961

How about the thumbs down button?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
techbeck    6,924

Keep thumbs down, down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon    13,177

Alright, let me take this for a test spin, I know just the person to ignore.

 

Meh, I wish the post would disappear off the screen entirely and not show me a message where the post should have been telling me i've chosen to ignore them. Because then i'm too tempted unhide the comment to see what stupid ###### this user said. Though I'm pretty sure all the post had was insults like stupid, moron, child or idiot. Isn't it telling you probably already know exactly who i'm talking about without ever dropping a name. I need the site to remove the temptation :D

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H    3,111
8 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Alright, let me take this for a test spin, I know just the person to ignore.

 

Meh, I wish the post would disappear off the screen entirely and not show me a message where the post should have been telling me i've chosen to ignore them. Because then i'm too tempted unhide the comment to see what stupid ###### this user said. Though I'm pretty sure all the post had was insults like stupid, moron, child or idiot. Isn't it telling you probably know exactly who i'm talking about without ever dropping a name. I need the site to remove the temptation :D

If you use TamperMonkey I know there's a few scripts out there that hide the IPB 'show ignored post' elements. not sure how up to date they are though as I've never used them myself.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steven P.    14,152
1 hour ago, shockz said:

How about the thumbs down button?

Will it increase membership and activity (and therefore revenue)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anthony T.    5

Great idea.  The annoying people were a big reason I stopped using Neowin for a while, this definitely helps!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shockz    5,961
1 hour ago, Steven P. said:

Will it increase membership and activity (and therefore revenue)?

That's the basis of bringing back the ignore feature? Revenue? Lol.

 

How about it'll discourage people from posting lousy content and give pointers to mods to review and correct disruptive behavior.

 

I already know its not coming back, but it was silly to remove in the first place. Thumbs up is just as "manipulated" as thumbs down was.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
techbeck    6,924
1 hour ago, Steven P. said:

Will it increase membership and activity (and therefore revenue)?

Nope, needs to stay gone.  People abused the feature and I have had users down vote everything I posted.  I could have made a post that said kittens are soft and cute and some users would down vote.  It is a negative feature, this isnt reddit, and discourages people from posting in certain areas or at all.  I never used the thumbs down feature as I didnt think it was a good thing to have.

 

With the ignore feature, people can ignore problematic users who constantly rag on their every post and makes people leave or not post at all.  Also, people can easily ignore other members without having to keep bugging mods for assistance.

 

Ignore, good.  Thumbs down, bad.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
techbeck    6,924
18 minutes ago, Anthony T. said:

Great idea.  The annoying people were a big reason I stopped using Neowin for a while, this definitely helps!

Hopefully you start posting more.  Need more good tech centered posters here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dead.cell    4,333

 

6 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Nope, needs to stay gone.  People abused the feature and I have had users down vote everything I posted.  I could have made a post that said kittens are soft and cute and some users would down vote.  It is a negative feature, this isnt reddit, and discourages people from posting in certain areas or at all.  I never used the thumbs down feature as I didnt think it was a good thing to have.

 

With the ignore feature, people can ignore problematic users who constantly rag on their every post and makes people leave or not post at all.  Also, people can easily ignore other members without having to keep bugging mods for assistance.

 

Ignore, good.  Thumbs down, bad.

Pretty much this.

 

Thumbs down just discourages conversation in favor of a "I don't have to prove my point, I'll just downvote you" solution. I'd rather people following the threads be more inclined to reading a post that's highly regarded (even if manipulated), than to be discouraged from reading just because their views differ.


Hell, I'll admit to using it that way too, just because I got tired of seeing people being so petty. Reality is that it doesn't help anything at all, and doesn't encourage a good community for new readers. Just my thoughts though, as someone who would end up avoiding certain areas of the forums simply because of this exact behavior.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shockz    5,961

Once again the Domestic politics section taking a ###### on usable features. Disable thumbs down for that particular section then? The whole abuse thing outside of there simply doesn't happen. Entire area should be struck from the site imo, but then again, cough, ahem, revenue, cough,

 

And on actual sites that use it, down voted comments are always usually garbage and auto hidden. It really improves the mood, flow and content of a conversation. Self moderating almost.

 

Silly examples, and Techback, hint, if you're getting downvoted on everything you post, I seriously doubt it's just because you're the one posting that, and if it was, then it should be taken care of by staff... to disable that feature as a reason why indicates laziness on staff level, otherwise maybe you're getting downvoted for the simple fact that it deserved a downvote? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
techbeck    6,924
11 minutes ago, shockz said:

Once again the Domestic politics section taking a ###### on usable features. Disable thumbs down for that particular section then? The whole abuse thing outside of there simply doesn't happen. Entire area should be struck from the site imo, but then again, cough, ahem, revenue, cough,

 

And on actual sites that use it, down voted comments are always usually garbage and auto hidden. It really improves the mood, flow and content of a conversation. Self moderating almost.

 

Silly examples, and Techback, hint, if you're getting downvoted on everything you post, I seriously doubt it's just because you're the one posting that, and if it was, then it should be taken care of by staff... to disable that feature as a reason why indicates laziness on staff level, otherwise maybe you're getting downvoted for the simple fact that it deserved a downvote? 

I agree with the RWI issue.  All it does is make the site look bad and there are a few people who are given the right to troll and act like idiots there.

 

Without going in to a lot of detail, there was a couple users who are no longer around that didn't care for me to much and down voted everything I said.  I called him out on it and he layed off a little.    We are a small community and negative features like this should not be implemented.  Like I said before, this is not reddit.  Want to know if your post is good?  People can like it.  Also, bring back the feature that allows an OP to mark a post as the correct post.  This will, should, help encourage users to post.   Steve P said he is looking at bringing this back and I hope it does come back .  We do similar things at work.  All IT works on a ticket system and we try to outdo each other each week with the amount of issues we address.   It is a good productive way to promote team work, and to get things solved quickly. 

 

Oh, and it is techbeck. not techback  ?

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K    13,631
4 hours ago, shockz said:

How about the thumbs down button?

? 

 

No?  :)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shockz    5,961
15 minutes ago, Jim K said:

?

 

No?  :)

I'll just supplement with the laugh icon, looks like that's what most people do anyways. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steven P.    14,152
45 minutes ago, shockz said:

Once again the Domestic politics section taking a ###### on usable features. Disable thumbs down for that particular section then? The whole abuse thing outside of there simply doesn't happen. Entire area should be struck from the site imo, but then again, cough, ahem, revenue, cough,

 

And on actual sites that use it, down voted comments are always usually garbage and auto hidden. It really improves the mood, flow and content of a conversation. Self moderating almost.

 

Silly examples, and Techback, hint, if you're getting downvoted on everything you post, I seriously doubt it's just because you're the one posting that, and if it was, then it should be taken care of by staff... to disable that feature as a reason why indicates laziness on staff level, otherwise maybe you're getting downvoted for the simple fact that it deserved a downvote? 

I respectfully disagree through making this very post.

 

The way I feel about your opinion that a downvote/thumbs down option should be given would instead result in a very impersonal emoji vote with no explanation of why, instead, to show disagreeance I'm forced to reply to your post to convey my own thoughts (or ignore you, which is the same exact thing as a downvote or thumbs down).

 

I don't see any benefit to a negative vote system. I read Reddit for certain things (mainly tv shows) and when a good portion of the comments are people complaining about other people "downvoting them" or commenting that they expect to be downvoted for their opinion, it doesn't even look like a good system, even if the comment order is sorted by "popularity" vote, how do I know I am not missing out on very good comments because there are a bunch of downvoting trolls active?

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon    13,177

If you look at the user stats of a certain person in domestic politics whose name starts with W, you'll see he gave 763 downvotes, during the time in which it was implemented. Everyone should check their own stats and compare that number to your own. You'll see that, it's quite the record number downvotes given.

 

Personally, I think that many downvotes given and the fact it's so much larger by a factor of x3 than anyone else i've seen so far, signifies a certain type of forum behavior.

 

If you want to check your own number, You can find it in your profile under your "community reputation" number and click on "see reputation activity". 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farchord    373

Idea: A tool moderators might be able to use is a way to get some kind of tally of who's getting ignored the most. If 100 people are ignoring a single person, that might be a flag... Just a thought for you mods!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dead.cell    4,333
1 hour ago, warwagon said:

If you look at the user stats of a certain person in domestic politics whose name starts with W, you'll see he gave 763 downvotes, during the time in which it was implemented. Everyone should check their own stats and compare that number to your own. You'll see that, it's quite the record number downvotes given.

 

Personally, I think that many downvotes given and the fact it's so much larger by a factor of x3 than anyone else i've seen so far, signifies a certain type of forum behavior.

 

If you want to check your own number, You can find it in your profile under your "community reputation" number and click on "see reputation activity". 

736*


What is amazing is that between two individuals, there were a whopping 1,290 downvotes "thumbs down" reactions distributed.

 

1 hour ago, techbeck said:

I agree with the RWI issue.  All it does is make the site look bad and there are a few people who are given the right to troll and act like idiots there.

 

Without going in to a lot of detail, there was a couple users who are no longer around that didn't care for me to much and down voted everything I said.  I called him out on it and he layed off a little.    We are a small community and negative features like this should not be implemented.  Like I said before, this is not reddit.  Want to know if your post is good?  People can like it.  Also, bring back the feature that allows an OP to mark a post as the correct post.  This will, should, help encourage users to post.   Steve P said he is looking at bringing this back and I hope it does come back .  We do similar things at work.  All IT works on a ticket system and we try to outdo each other each week with the amount of issues we address.   It is a good productive way to promote team work, and to get things solved quickly. 

 

Oh, and it is techbeck. not techback  ?

Yeah, I actually liked this feature when reading through those sections. (Y) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steven P.    14,152

I have deleted some tech support forums and merged some down. I turned on the Question format for most forums here https://www.neowin.net/forum/forum/118-technical-help-amp-support/ You will see I also moved Windows, Mac and Linux category into that section too.

 

I might reduce the number of forums even further this week, no need for a bunch of forums that see no activity.

 

I am open to suggestions on how we can streamline the tech help category so it isn't completely overwhelming, yet offers enough difference in sections so people can easily find the help they are looking for.

 

I thought about leaving Hardware Hangout as a discussion forum and placing it in the same category as Gamers' Hangout https://www.neowin.net/forum/forum/127-recreational-activities/ but I didn't do this yet.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
techbeck    6,924
1 hour ago, Steven P. said:

I might reduce the number of forums even further this week, no need for a bunch of forums that see no activity.

I see that as a problem.  Those areas had activity and now they have little to none.  I make a few posts in the RWI bitching thread and my popularity rose to within the top 10 for the week along with the other popular people for posting in that  thread.  I find it a problem where a non tech thread keeps this site active.  I had like over 20 reactions in 1 day in that thread.  I "won"  Saturday which was mainly for making a few posts in that thread.

Edited by techbeck
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon    13,177
29 minutes ago, techbeck said:

I see that as a problem.  Those areas had activity and now they have little to none.  I make a few posts in the RWI bitching thread and my popularity rose to within the top 10 for the week along with the other popular people for posting in that  thread.  I find it a problem where a non tech thread keeps this site active.  I had like over 20 reactions in 1 day in that thread.  I "won"  Saturday which was mainly for making a few posts in that thread.

I agree with you. Which is W wins a lot of days. Though playing devils advocate for a moment, the weekend isn't really that hard to win. On the weekends you can post on a thread and you can bump it to the front page where it will sit for hours. But I do see your point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.