Mollie Tibbetts's disappearance has small Iowa town on edge

BROOKLYN, Iowa — In his 36-year career, Poweshiek County Sheriff Thomas Kriegel said he has never seen a case like the disappearance of Mollie Tibbetts, the University of Iowa student who vanished from town last month.

“This is a small town,” he said of Brooklyn, a community of about 1,500 people just north of Interstate 80 about halfway between Iowa City and Des Moines. “We don’t have to deal with a lot of the horror stories you hear coming out of the big cities. Occasionally I’d see or hear a story about someone going missing or disappearing, but I never thought it would happen here.”

Tibbetts, 20, was reported missing July 19 after her family realized she had not shown up for work. She was last seen the night before jogging through town wearing black shorts, a pink or red sports top and running shoes.

Since then, investigators said they have run down hundreds of leads and searched numerous areas in or around Brooklyn. They’ve scrutinized data and digital records associated with her social media accounts and electronic devices, including her FitBit activity tracker. But they’ve been tight-lipped about what they think happened to her — saying they’re “not ruling anything out.”

Tibbetts’ disappearance, the sheriff said, has left a cloud hanging over the community.

“This is something that hits close to home. Up until a few weeks ago, Brooklyn was a town where people felt safe enough to leave their doors unlocked at night,” Kriegel said. “They’d let their kids out to play. The kids could walk down to the park, or if they wanted to walk into town and get a bottle of pop or an ice cream cone on their own, they could do that and the parents knew they’d come home safe.”

But with the disappearance, Kriegel said, he’s seen a shift.

“I think people are keeping their children closer now,” he said. “They’re keeping a close eye on their children whether they’re playing at the park or walking down the street.”

Kriegel said he’s also noticed people walking more in groups — in twos and threes, rather than alone — and joggers are sticking to running within the city limits and avoiding the surrounding rural roads.

[...]

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/public-safety/missing-university-of-iowa-student-mollie-tibbetts-disappearance-has-brooklyn-iowa-on-edge-20180803

• 2 weeks later...

The suspect, Christian Rivera, has been arrested and is subject to immigration detainer

They caught his black Chevrolet Malibu (as well as Mollie jogging) on camera.

He led the authorities to Mollie's body

Her body was found in a corn field and covered with cornstalks.

Edited by Mockingbird

Terrible news. I wonder what the motive was behind this. Rape gone bad? Burglary? I feel terrible for the family and her boyfriend.

here is a mugshot of this piece of trash, https://heavy.com/news/2018/08/christian-rivera/

christian-bajina-rivera.jpeg

Police said Christian Rivera told investigators during an interview that he saw Mollie Tibbetts running and was able to approach her. “While he was interfacing with her, he tells us he ran alongside her or behind her,” police said. At one point she told him he needed to leave her alone or she was going to call the police, and then she took off running. He told police he chased her and at some point he “blacks out,” and came to “near an intersection” where he then “then placed Mollie.”

This guy is the perfect example of someone who doesnt belong to live anymore, he deserves the chair. Unfortunately, Iowa only carries life in prison as the maximum sentence so now the tax payers will pay for this guy to live in America. Either way, this guy was here ILLEGALLY and this should have never happened.

Edited by Circaflex

The 24-year-old Rivera is being held on an immigration detainer and police said they confirmed with the Department of Homeland Security Investigations that he is an “illegal alien.” He has been charged with first-degree murder. Rivera is a resident of rural Poweshiek County, Iowa. He faces a penalty of life in prison without parole.

Just turned into a non-story for CNN.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Terrible news. I wonder what the motive was behind this. Rape gone bad? Burglary? I feel terrible for the family and her boyfriend.

here is a mugshot of this piece of trash, https://heavy.com/news/2018/08/christian-rivera/

...because he is a sick pervert

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Circaflex said:

This guy is the perfect example of someone who doesnt belong to live anymore, he deserves the chair. Unfortunately, Iowa only carries life in prison as the maximum sentence so now the tax payers will pay for this guy to live in America. Either way, this guy was here ILLEGALLY and this should have never happened.

More ammo for the Trump crowd.  Expect twitter to erupt any time now.

Sad, but this could happen anywhere to anyone.   Hopefully they stick it to this guy unlike what they did in CA....

11 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

...because he is a sick pervert

Pfffttt...

...because he is a sick perverted illegal whose ass should never have been here, and open-borders types would assure there's many more like him.

That's much more like it.

12 hours ago, techbeck said:

Sad, but this could happen anywhere to anyone.   Hopefully they stick it to this guy unlike what they did in CA....

True, but the fact is, if he hadn't been here, Mollie would still be alive. The fact that there are sick US citizens who commit the same crime doesn't change the fact that this worthless piece of garbage shouldn't have been here, and couldn't have harmed Mollie had he not been here illegally.

An argument, not for totally closed borders, but for effective measures to cut down on illegals. Nobody is saying that immigrants aren't welcome, just that there needs to be effective evaluation of those wanting to get in, and fair criteria for that evaluation.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DocM said:

Pfffttt...

That's much more like it.

3 minutes ago, DConnell said:

True, but the fact is, if he hadn't been here, Mollie would still be alive.

An argument, not for totally closed borders, but for effective measures to cut down on illegals. Nobody is saying that immigrants aren't welcome, just that there needs to be effective evaluation of those wanting to get in, and fair criteria for that evaluation.

I knew that that the usual suspects (who previously show zero interest in this case) would jump in as soon as the words "illegal immigrant" is throw in.

The matter of fact is that him being a sick pervert has nothing to do with him being an illegal immigrant.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

I knew that that the usual suspects (who previously show zero interest ) would jump in as soon as the words "illegal immigrant" is throw in.

The matter of fact is that him being a sick pervert has nothing to do with him being an illegal immigrant.

It made his perversion the problem of US law enforcement, and the consequences of it the burden of US citizens, Mollie's friends and family.

But you're right, being illegal and being a rapist aren't linked, just tragically, both traits of this particular individual. But the fact remains, Mollie would be alive if this garbage had been where he belongs. Again, it's a strong argument for why those who support strong borders and effective immigration law do so. Let the good ones in, keep garbage like this out.

Just now, DConnell said:

It made his perversion the problem of US law enforcement, and the consequences of it the burden of US citizens.

But you're right, being illegal and being a rapist aren't linked, just tragically, both traits of this particular individual. But the fact remains, Mollie would be alive if this garbage had been where he belongs.

Research have shown that immigrants are less likely to commit crimes than natural born citizens.

So, if a natural born citizen killed her, that would be alright with you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So sad! I know it's just another person gone missing/murdered story, but still, so heartbreaking! I'm glad they have the suspect in custody, and I'm certain he will get what's coming to him! Illegal immigrant or not, if you go to another country and commit a crime, you should be handled as if you were a legal citizen of the country that the crime occurred in. I say, throw the book at him! I know if were one of my 4 step-daughters, I would want the very same thing to happen to him! If not worse! But by all means, I send condolences to her family. I can't imagine what they must be going through, even if closure came in the way they didn't want it to. R.I.P., Mollie! :(

7 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Research have shown that immigrants are less likely to commit crimes than natural born citizens.

Not at all. Not even sure where that's coming from, and frankly since someone I care for deeply was raped, I'm not pleased with your insinuation. Human scum is human scum regardless of where they're from. But this particular piece of scum should not have been Iowa's problem in the first place. What part of that don't you get?

There's garbage in every gene pool. But why should the US be expected to take on other countries' garbage in addition to its own? Let them deal with their own trash, rather than letting it flow over to the US.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Obi-Wan Kenobi said:

So sad! I know it's just another person gone missing/murdered story, but still, so heartbreaking! I'm glad they have the suspect in custody, and I'm certain he will get what's coming to him! Illegal immigrant or not, if you go to another country and commit a crime, you should be handled as if you were a legal citizen of the country that the crime occurred in. I say, throw the book at him! I know if were one of my 4 step-daughters, I would want the very same thing to happen to him! If not worse! But by all means, I send condolences to her family. I can't imagine what they must be going through, even if closure came in the way they didn't want it to. R.I.P., Molly! :(

Absolutely.

Unfortunately, Iowa does not have the death penalty.

5 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Where is this research you are getting (source)?

• Like 2

Just now, Mockingbird said:

Absolutely.

Too merciful anyway. I'm thinking branding iron to the crotch, followed by deportation.

1 minute ago, DConnell said:

Not at all. Not even sure where that's coming from, and frankly since someone I care for deeply was raped, I'm not pleased with your insinuation.

There's garbage in every gene pool. But why should the US be expected to take on other countries' garbage in addition to its own? Let them deal with their own trash, rather than letting it flow over to the US.

Well, we have a problem.

A lot of illegal immigrants from Mexico are actually farm workers.

The US subsidizes its food so much that imported food from the US to Mexico is actually cheaper than food grown locally in Mexico.

That causes Mexican farmers to lose their jobs.

What do they do when they lose their jobs?

They cross over the border so they can work illegally as farm labor in the US.

1 minute ago, Mockingbird said:

Absolutely.

How unfortunate. Maybe he will spend the rest of his days, in prison, with it tormenting him in the back of his mind that he took the life of an innocent person. That is, if other inmates don't find out about it and take care of the death penalty themselves. (And I'm sure they already know all about it.) Either way, justice will be done! (Y)

12 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Well, we have a problem.

A lot of illegal immigrants from Mexico are actually farm workers.

The US subsidizes its food so much that imported food from the US to Mexico is actually cheaper than food grown locally in Mexico.

That causes Mexican farmers to lose their jobs.

What do they do when they lose their jobs?

They cross over the border so they can work illegally as farm labor in the US.

But that still doesn't legitimize the workers' presence in the US. While they may be benefiting the US economy as well as themselves and their families, they are still breaking the law. As are the people employing them!

It does, however, show that there needs to be refinement of the immigration laws to facilitate those workers entering the country legally. If there's no proper channel for them, then one should be created, with reasonable vetting standards.

Immigration law needs to be fixed to facilitate the good, useful, productive ones who will benefit society as well as themselves getting in, while keeping out the scum like this guy.