Time to resurrect my Nexus 7 (2012)

My dad has been using my Nexus 7 from 2012 for a number of years after I gave up on it. However it's not gotten to the point where it's unusable without constantly being plugged into a power supply. 

Easy fix for me is to replace the battery, which should breathe some life back into the once great tablet. However I can imagine the OS will still probably run like a pile of poo. 

Does anyone still use their Nexus 7 for anything and if so, what OS are you using?

I have a grouper too, unfortunately the model has a generic problem with the memory which tends to get slower by the time (32gb suffers less). I use the rom from xda ( https://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-7/development/rom-android-7-aosp-grouper-t3467514 ) and use it mainly for the kid to watch animation, for browsing or other online activity it is slow.

• Like 1

Yeah it's probably going to be used for browsing/emails, a few basic games like solitaire and YouTube. 

Ah I have the 16GB, will have to see how it fairs. Thanks for recommendation 

I also revived my 2012 Nexus 7, and it's too slow to be usable in 2018. I also have my 2013 Nexus 7, but I can't revive that unfortunately. It'd be nice to have an Android tablet for web browsing - something similar in design to Note 9, but a bit larger and modern. 

3 minutes ago, tsupersonic said:

I also revived my 2012 Nexus 7, and it's too slow to be usable in 2018. I also have my 2013 Nexus 7, but I can't revive that unfortunately. It'd be nice to have an Android tablet for web browsing - something similar in design to Note 9, but a bit larger and modern. 

What OS did you go with? 

What made it unusable? Even for something like web browsing?

I bought my daughter one back when they came out, I had to replace the USB port on it a year or two back as that had broken. It's so slow these days it doesn't get used, it's not using any custom roms, just running the latest update that was available to it.

58 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

What OS did you go with? 

What made it unusable? Even for something like web browsing?

It's stock, and updated all the way (Lollipop I think). Yeah, I just wanted to browse the web, and watch media. It's slow to load web pages, and just slow around apps. I'd just rather use my phone, S8+, which has a 6" display

• Like 1

do you mean the 2013 model 'flo'?

I have that model and am currently running AICP oreo 8.1 on it and it actually runs smoothly; you can hardly tell it's such an old model the builds are so stable.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-7-2013/development/rom-aicp-8-0-lp-5-0-2r1-official-t3026338

they do weekly builds for the Nexus 7 2013 http://dwnld.aicp-rom.com/?device=flo

or is this an original Nexus 7 'grouper'? I think the dev community has mostly abandoned the original now; my original model is just sitting on a shelf currently as it also has battery issues ironically enough but I checked awhile back and there's nothing really updated for it anymore.

8 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

do you mean the 2013 model 'flo'?

I have that model and am currently running AICP oreo 8.1 on it and it actually runs smoothly; you can hardly tell it's such an old model the builds are so stable.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-7-2013/development/rom-aicp-8-0-lp-5-0-2r1-official-t3026338

they do weekly builds for the Nexus 7 2013 http://dwnld.aicp-rom.com/?device=flo

or is this an original Nexus 7 'grouper'? I think the dev community has mostly abandoned the original now; my original model is just sitting on a shelf currently as it also has battery issues ironically enough but I checked awhile back and there's nothing really updated for it anymore.

That is the 2013 model, not 2012. The 2012 has a known emmc problem that slowed things down as well as the Nvidia SOC being a turd. I have one at work and it’s bad no matter the version of Android. 

4 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

That is the 2013 model, not 2012. The 2012 has a known emmc problem that slowed things down as well as the nvidia SOC being a turd. 

yes i'm aware; I actually have both models :) for some reason I was just thinking the original 'grouper' came out sooner than 2012 (like around 2010) but checking again I guess it was just a 1 year refresh between the 2 models

the memory issue is the other reason my grouper just sits on the shelf and probably why XDA devs abandoned it as well.

even though it seems like a minor refresh the 2013 model really does run circles around the original

24 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

yes i'm aware; I actually have both models :) for some reason I was just thinking the original 'grouper' came out sooner than 2012 (like around 2010) but checking again I guess it was just a 1 year refresh between the 2 models

the memory issue is the other reason my grouper just sits on the shelf and probably why XDA devs abandoned it as well.

even though it seems like a minor refresh the 2013 model really does run circles around the original

Yup, they ditched the emmc and Nvidia. I wish I hadn’t given up my 2013.