Gonzaga warns about ‘potentially harmful’ cultural appropriation during Halloween

46 minutes ago, DocM said:

More like, not prone to accepting Orwellian GroupThink. 

Using terms you don't understand again.  Too silly for words.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jazmac said:

26 minutes ago, Jazmac said:

Using terms you don't understand again.  Too silly for words.

William H. Whyte Jr. derived his concept of 'GroupThink' from Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four.  Totally related. 

On 10/25/2018 at 5:44 PM, DocM said:

Weaponized political correctness needs to be expunged. 

On 10/25/2018 at 3:45 PM, DocM said:

Of course, some people may be stretching things just to have something to bitch about. 

I agree.

Anyone who gets offended on Halloween ...is.... I can’t actually describe them because my description would probably get me a warning. 

• Like 3

On 10/26/2018 at 7:05 PM, Jazmac said:

Let me guess, republican?

no, your post made no sense at all. what is Liberty U?

by your logic the far-left, Democratic group known as "antifa" wants this country to be scared.

i prefer Doc M's approach that i dont concede myself to vitriol and group think. i dont want to ramble on about the same rhetorical speaking points that others want to hide behind.

• Like 2

It's amusing to see Christians opposing cultural appropriation when all of Christianity's main celebrations were culturally appropriated (Christmas, Easter, etc).

Personally I reject the notion of cultural appropriation, as the sharing of knowledge and values is an inherently human condition. Our success as a species is based upon learning from others and improving upon their methods. Christians can't control how non-Christians celebrate Christmas; black people can't prevent white people wearing cornrows or dreadlocks; the English can't control how the language is used and evolves in other countries and continents. People should by all means acknowledge the history of particular holidays and values but trying to dictate the behaviour of others will never work.

2 hours ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

It's amusing to see Christians opposing cultural appropriation when all of Christianity's main celebrations were culturally appropriated (Christmas, Easter, etc).

What early Christans did was align their celebrations to pagan ones so they wouldn't be killed.  Blend in, make it look like you're celebrating the Roman etc. rites.

3 hours ago, Jason S. said:

no, your post made no sense at all. what is Liberty U?

by your logic the far-left, Democratic group known as "antifa" wants this country to be scared.

i prefer Doc M's approach that i dont concede myself to vitriol and group think. i dont want to ramble on about the same rhetorical speaking points that others want to hide behind.

What is Liberty U?  Oh man, I keep forgetting who I'm talking to. My bad.   

6 minutes ago, DocM said:

What early Christans did was align their celebrations to pagan ones so they wouldn't be killed.  Blend in, make it look like you're celebrating the Roman etc. rites.

Trust you to take a completely contrarian view as always. It's widely believed that the church moved the date of Christmas to December 25th to curtail the influence of pagan festivals like Saturnalia and Dies Natalis Solis Invicti, not for Christians to hide themselves from persecution. Easter was also rooted in paganism.

21 hours ago, Jazmac said:

What is Liberty U?  Oh man, I keep forgetting who I'm talking to. My bad.   

no seriously, what is Liberty U in the sense that you speak of it? I only know that term as a university never heard it anywhere besides a shortened term for "Liberty University" so please fill us in what it means instead of using misdirection to try to hope we don't ask for the answer.... because I sure as heck don't know what it supposedly means

15 hours ago, Shiranui said:

I find the whole concept of "cultural appropriation" difficult to comprehend.

well, take it this way... my great grandparents were irish... so if you aren't irish you better not ever sell potatoes because that's our thing and if you make money off potatoes and dont give it to the irish then you're a bad person

(exaggerated example for clarity)

On 10/26/2018 at 2:19 PM, Eternal Tempest said:

Wikipedia - "It is widely believed that many Halloween traditions originated from ancient Celtic harvest festivals, particularly the Gaelic festival Samhain; that such festivals may have had pagan roots; and that Samhain itself was Christianized as Halloween by the early Church." 

So.. no not a Christian Holliday, but one of the Hollidays that the Church created to take over / displace / transform the pagan one.

"Widely believed"? You mean common knowledge?

On 10/26/2018 at 11:19 AM, Eternal Tempest said:

Wikipedia - "It is widely believed that many Halloween traditions originated from ancient Celtic harvest festivals, particularly the Gaelic festival Samhain; that such festivals may have had pagan roots; and that Samhain itself was Christianized as Halloween by the early Church." 

So.. no not a Christian Holliday, but one of the Hollidays that the Church created to take over / displace / transform the pagan one.

My main criticism of this description would be to point out that all of those Christians were once pagan (outside of the Jews in Palestine), so, for them, it was more about them retaining their own traditions in a new form. And in fact, many of the puritans in the Church fought against this and tried to remove pagan elements from Christianity, but repeatedly failed. Throughout the Middle Ages, you had priests complaining about peasants still following pagan traditions.

Ultimately, Christianity has been a kind of syncretic religion, though. The main criticism of paganism was that they worshiped nature rather than the creator of nature, so it was easy for the holidays to adapt.

In any case, when people talk about the Christians taking over other traditions, it makes it sound like a form of conspiracy, when it really was just local peoples adapting their own traditions to new times.

[ Btw. As someone partially of Hungarian background, I'm am offended whenever anyone not ethnically Hungarian dresses as Dracula, which I see as an appropriation of my culture. I'm watching out and taking names. Don't be surprised if you're visited by a bloodthirsty bat. ]

On 10/28/2018 at 11:21 AM, theyarecomingforyou said:

Personally I reject the notion of cultural appropriation, as the sharing of knowledge and values is an inherently human condition. Our success as a species is based upon learning from others and improving upon their methods. Christians can't control how non-Christians celebrate Christmas; black people can't prevent white people wearing cornrows or dreadlocks; the English can't control how the language is used and evolves in other countries and continents. People should by all means acknowledge the history of particular holidays and values but trying to dictate the behaviour of others will never work.

Someone check my vitals ... I agree with you on this ... /me goes into a seizure

Although white people wearing cornrows -- if they're male -- I can't agree with that but each to their own I guess. Females, sure. Looks okay. Males, no. 😆

14 hours ago, redfish said:

[ Btw. As someone partially of Hungarian background, I'm am offended whenever anyone not ethnically Hungarian dresses as Dracula, which I see as an appropriation of my culture. I'm watching out and taking names. Don't be surprised if you're visited by a bloodthirsty bat. ]

wasnt dracula from modern-day Romania? stop appropriating their culture!

Are we meant to have an expectation that we can go through life without being offended?

Sorry, nobody told me this - and as such, I know how to react when I am offended; how to weigh the situation up and determine if it's deliberate, if it was given or taken, if a response will yield any result, whether it's actually a problem or not.

4 hours ago, Jason S. said:

wasnt dracula from modern-day Romania? stop appropriating their culture!

Count Dracula was described as a Székely, which is an ethnic Hungarian living in Transylvania. The region has switched hands between Hungary and Romania; it was once part of Hungary.

Bram Stoker, who was an Irishman, appropriated Hungarian culture and stereotyped all Hungarians as vampires ! Even worse is things like "Blacula", because, as everyone knows, "hunky" was an ethnic slur against Boheman-Hungarian factory workers ("bohunks") who were treated badly by other whites, and this was later turned into "honkie" by blacks to slur all whites, at the same time those sort of blaxploitation films were produced.

This is erasure, appropriation, and re-erasure !