SpaceX Super Heavy and Starship updates

While funny-looking, that "wiggle" is critical for countering & dampening the cavitations that will occur when the engines first fire up and while they are in-use. Essential for stabilizing them. Most gimballed engines have such a method of dampening such forces. Even the SSME's did this.

Cool to see and I bet the response on these is very quick. :yes: 

StarHopper hop after the CRS-18 launch (or scrub). 

Watch the SpaceX YouTube channel for a webcast link. If you're subscribed to SpaceXchannel you should get a notification.

I'm looking forward to that 200m hop, hopefully we'll get to see her out of that shroud of smoke.

I know they're working on a lot more experience this time around, but can anyone measure their success with these tests against grasshoper? I was expecting a lot of problems and aborts before it got off the ground and back successfully so this seems to have gone amazingly well but not sure how quick they were with Grasshoper?

Grasshopper flew 8 times successfully before being retired. 1.8m, 5.4m, 40m, 80m, 250m, 325m, 250m, and finally 744m. She's now a trpphy at their  McGregor test facility.

F9R Dev-1 flew 4 times successfully, 250m - 1,000m, but a blocked engine sensor caused her to deviate from the planed trajectory then self-destruct during the 5th flight.

F9R Dev-2 never flew. 

Instead, SpaceX started a series of post-separation tests during real launches, perfecting supersonic retropropulsion and soft "landings" on the ocean.

You know the rest.

Edited by DocM

Yup, but if the damned thing's already up there after a launch so why use a single purpose vehicle based in the middle of nowhere?

Not to mention operational difficulties from being so close to White Sands (76 miles) and using their tracking.