SpaceX Super Heavy and Starship updates

On 11/10/2021 at 19:10, DocM said:

NASA Langley is looking at a March, 2022 Starship launch for their re-entry imaging contract.

Elon ever reply?  I was thinking we would have seen another test by now.

On 13/10/2021 at 03:22, bguy_1986 said:

Elon ever reply?  I was thinking we would have seen another test by now.

They haven't been ready for a test anyways, but the FAA is the current hold up. Looks like November/December before they get FAA approval(if they get it).

Hopefully this is the second launch they they are talking about. I know they have started building the next Starship/Booster

They'll be doing a Starship 20 static fire with all 6 engines soon, weather permitting.

Super Heavy Booster 4 tests are waiting for the tower work to be completed. They're mounting the catcher "Chopsticks."

Edit: and here it is...

Ship 20 static fire attempt between 1800 and 0100 Eastern Time Wednesday, October 13.

Edited by DocM

I can't quite understand how a static fire would be that much more violent then actual lift off, surely that would mean they run the risk of losing tiles when they do the orbital launch?

On 22/10/2021 at 10:09, Skiver said:

I can't quite understand how a static fire would be that much more violent then actual lift off, surely that would mean they run the risk of losing tiles when they do the orbital launch?

A static fire maximizes vibration by holding it down, plus you have reflected acoustics from the ground under the stand.

At liftoff the engines and ground are ~70 meters away from the nearest tile, ~120 meters from the furthest. There's also all that structure to help attenuate vibration.

On 01/11/2021 at 07:30, anthdci said:

I wouldn't be surprised if SN20 never flies with how SN21 is coming along

That would be interesting, if SN21 is ready and better before their allowed to fly, it would make more sense to fly it. However I guess it would depend on how long SN22 is away, if they are partway through SN22 It makes total sense, but if SN22 is still a long way away, then they can use SN22 for the next test.