Which Linux distribution do you prefer?

Which Linux distribution do you prefer?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite?

MX-Linux 

in earlier times i prefereed opensuse, Ubuntu and Slack 

some days i run also  Manjaro and Debian, 

i love MX for its feature-richness and the ability to run even on very old systems..

it has got great support and is very very widespred - cf distrowatch - there it is listed as #1 for more than 1 year now.. .

38 minutes ago, tarifa said:

MX-Linux 

in earlier times i prefereed opensuse, Ubuntu and Slack 

some days i run also  Manjaro and Debian, 

i love MX for its feature-richness and the ability to run even on very old systems..

it has got great support and is very very widespred - cf distrowatch - there it is listed as #1 for more than 1 year now.. .

Well, MX is based on Debian, so yeah, I would expect it to be.

And Distrowatch's HPD can be easily corrupted. So take that with a grain of salt.

PopOS - I just cant get enough of it, it's just the right amount of easy to use-ness and nerdy under the hood stuff to keep me happy :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I would suggest you to use one of the 4 main Linux distributions, i.e. Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat, or CentOS. This suggestion is based on maintainability, continuity, stability, and security.

7 hours ago, Dhruv Mehta said:

I would suggest you to use one of the 4 main Linux distributions, i.e. Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat, or CentOS. This suggestion is based on maintainability, continuity, stability, and security.

I wouldn't say security...

BUT each has its own perks.

This thread is "what do you use" not "Use this and that"

10 minutes ago, fusi0n said:

I think Manjaro is now the best well-rounded distro out there. 

I agree and paired with arch's AUR repository you get basically all possible apps with frequent updates (Y)

edit: there is only one thing I would change and it's nothing to do with Manjaro itself. I love that it uses XFCE but I wish XFCE would become compatible with Wayland already.

1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

I agree and paired with arch's AUR repository you get basically all possible apps with frequent updates (Y)

edit: there is only one thing I would change and it's nothing to do with Manjaro itself. I love that it uses XFCE but I wish XFCE would become compatible with Wayland already.

Xorg will die, in time...

IMO, though, I find Manjaro to be too heavy.

I'm using ArcoLinux right now, and I'm loving it. :) 

Currently... Linux Mint v19.3-Cinnamon. but I do notice some micro stutter on x264 video playback which I might end up trying MATE semi-soon (I might just wait till Mint v20 is released before attempting it) to see if that gets rid of it as I can't go back to Xfce given the lock screen freezing issue as Cinnamon is rock stable in this regard as I am currently at 65 days and 13 hours+ of uptime which is the longest I ever had my main PC running without a reboot.

but basically when playing a x264 video file with hardware acceleration on (I am using newest recommended NVIDIA driver in the 'Driver Manager' for my 1050 Ti 4GB GPU) while things pretty much work okay, you can see every couple of seconds or so the video is a little jerky (micro stutter) which is especially noticeable when stuff is moving horizontally and is quicker to move in the scene. like if something is mostly stationary its not as obvious to see but once there is decent movement of something horizontally, the micro stutter is clearly there and it's consistent to in it's timing (i.e. 1-2seconds or so, micro stutter, 1-2 seconds or so, micro stutter and repeat). apparently I am not the only one who has this issue from looking around online and it does not seem to matter what software someone is using for video playback either as it seems to be tied to the OS somehow since some people were saying other Linux OS's worked fine as the issue went away. but I would rather not change the core OS which is why I am probably going to give MATE a shot and hopefully that does something to fix it. who knows, maybe ill use Clonezilla on my current install semi-soon and then install LM v19.3-MATE from scratch (hell, maybe I could try the LMDE4 version of Mint which is Debian based if the MATE version fails) and quickly test to see if the video playback is okay or not, as if not, then ill just restore my current installation. I would not consider the micro stutter to be a show stopper issue, but it's something I would rather fix if I can.

Edited by ThaCrip

2 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Xorg will die, in time...

IMO, though, I find Manjaro to be too heavy.

I'm using ArcoLinux right now, and I'm loving it. :) 

I tried ArcoLinux and wasn't really a fan personally. Manjaro isn't that heavy, it has all the basic tools most people will find useful out of the box and just runs properly without any post installation intervention which I didn't find to be true with Arco when I tested.

Also Manjaro is just download and go where as Arco could seem a bit more confusing to someone new having so many different versions. Took me a bit to know which was the right one to download. I see what Arco was trying to achieve but stair stepping your knowledge but doesn't seem executed properly IMO.

That's just my opinion though and that's the beauty of there being multiple distros to choose from with Linux; you can usually find the one that suits your needs 🙂

6 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

I tried ArcoLinux and wasn't really a fan personally. Manjaro isn't that heavy, it has all the basic tools most people will find useful out of the box and just runs properly without any post installation intervention which I didn't find to be true with Arco when I tested.

Also Manjaro is just download and go where as Arco could seem a bit more confusing to someone new having so many different versions. Took me a bit to know which was the right one to download. I see what Arco was trying to achieve but stair stepping your knowledge but doesn't seem executed properly IMO.

That's just my opinion though and that's the beauty of there being multiple distros to choose from with Linux; you can usually find the one that suits your needs 🙂

Erik, owner or Arco, has 100+ tuts on EVERYTHING. Plus his forums and discord are very helpful.

I am currently running Ubuntu 18.04 on a PC that I have owned for 10 years i5-2400 . I had been using it on an old Dell laptop since 16.04 but that laptop died so it was time to turn a secondary PC into my Linux machine. 

As a desktop Linux, normally it would be Sabayon (which is Gentoo-based) - but specifically their KDE spin (which I referred to as a Kubuntu-killer) - and I was NOT a fan of Gentoo beforehand.  (What cured me of the Gentoo Haterade was being able to go with stage two (which is Sabayon's default) and what I recommend today for those wanting to migrate from Ubuntu.)  I only went back to Ubuntu because it is supported by WSL 2 (which no Gentoo-based distribution is); however, because of nsjail issues which I am having with Ubuntu in general, I may have to investigate Sabayon again.

36 minutes ago, sikhwarrior said:

I am currently running Ubuntu 18.04 on a PC that I have owned for 10 years i5-2400 . I had been using it on an old Dell laptop since 16.04 but that laptop died so it was time to turn a secondary PC into my Linux machine. 

Yeah, I figure it's probably best the common person installs Linux on a backup machine (I get some might find it confusing to install etc but anyone who knows how to clean install a Windows OS can easily install something like Linux Mint which is beginner friendly), especially ageing hardware, as it will give them a secure internet machine for banking etc. because the common person is not likely to get malware/viruses and the like on a Linux desktop machine as Linux sort of protects them from themselves on some level since since random Windows programs simply won't work on Linux by default.

my current main PC's core components (i.e. i3-2120 CPU/motherboard/RAM(8GB(2x4GB)) will be 8 years old in May, which is similar enough to your setup I suspect, as I plan on milking this system as long as I can as this way when i do upgrade ill get a rather huge boost in performance for minimal $.

p.s. I am still up in the air on what ill do as I might opt for the cheapest route possible for a solid upgrade which boils down to doing what I did last time, which is swapping the motherboard/CPU/RAM, but using my current case (which I had since March 2006) along with the general components from my current computer. but then again I think it will be time for a new PC case since my current one is from March 2006 and by the time I do get around to building another computer it will probably be somewhere between 15-20 years old. but I suspect ill probably just use my current monitor (which I had for 10+ years now as I had it since about Feb 2010 (24" 1080p)) no matter what I build since that will save about $100 right off the start.

• 1 month later...

Don't really mind as long as a lightweight desktop environment is available and applications I use are supported (which is the case for pretty much all listed).

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a long time Ubuntu fan and user. But recently, on my laptop, I noticed that Manjaro felt as performant in a virtual machine than Ubuntu on the real laptop. So I decided to install Manjaro directly on my laptop, and wow! On my computer it is much faster an snappier than Ubuntu (Both Ubuntu and Manjaro are using Gnome). I really have no clue how this is possible and how they did it. I can only say that Ubuntu feels kind of sluggish, even compared to Windows 10 on the same computer.

On 4/6/2020 at 6:24 PM, ThaCrip said:

but basically when playing a x264 video file with hardware acceleration on (I am using newest recommended NVIDIA driver in the 'Driver Manager' for my 1050 Ti 4GB GPU) while things pretty much work okay, you can see every couple of seconds or so the video is a little jerky (micro stutter) which is especially noticeable when stuff is moving horizontally and is quicker to move in the scene. like if something is mostly stationary its not as obvious to see but once there is decent movement of something horizontally, the micro stutter is clearly there and it's consistent to in it's timing (i.e. 1-2seconds or so, micro stutter, 1-2 seconds or so, micro stutter and repeat). apparently I am not the only one who has this issue from looking around online and it does not seem to matter what software someone is using for video playback either as it seems to be tied to the OS somehow since some people were saying other Linux OS's worked fine as the issue went away. but I would rather not change the core OS which is why I am probably going to give MATE a shot and hopefully that does something to fix it. who knows, maybe ill use Clonezilla on my current install semi-soon and then install LM v19.3-MATE from scratch (hell, maybe I could try the LMDE4 version of Mint which is Debian based if the MATE version fails) and quickly test to see if the video playback is okay or not, as if not, then ill just restore my current installation. I would not consider the micro stutter to be a show stopper issue, but it's something I would rather fix if I can.

So I know I'm a little late to the party but this might be helpful...

What you refer to as micro stutter might just be tearing. Here's a quick fix for Xfce, I guess there's something similar for Cinnamon too: Go to Settings >> Desktop Settings and select Xfwm4 + Compton.

HTH.

Edited by 100%

@100%

My system works fine as there is no more micro stutter as I noticed the micro stutter stuff a while ago. but after a reboot, as my PC was not rebooted for quite a while during the time I mentioned that issue, all was good.

I wish there was multiple options on this poll  as there are so many good ones, My top favourites are Deepin, Ubuntu, ZorinOS and POP_OS. I have been using ZorinOS for the last year and a half though, but might be coming back to my beloved Deepin when its version V20 is released later on this year (Hopefully)

17 minutes ago, Ely said:

I wish there was multiple options on this poll  as there are so many good ones, My top favourites are Deepin, Ubuntu, ZorinOS and POP_OS. I have been using ZorinOS for the last year and a half though, but might be coming back to my beloved Deepin when its version V20 is released later on this year (Hopefully)

Hey, we all have several faves ;)

• 1 month later...