Which Linux distribution do you prefer?

Which Linux distribution do you prefer?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite?

On 10/06/2022 at 02:58, yoyohoneysingh said:

i have used many linux distro like ubuntu,mint,slacko,puppy linux etc. but no one can match the stability of debian.

i am currently using debian 11.

The only problem I had with Debian is that they are 3-5 years behind everyone else..

On 10/06/2022 at 10:07, Mindovermaster said:

The only problem I had with Debian is that they are 3-5 years behind everyone else..

It is actually two years behind. I discovered this because I got a radeon rx6600 for my primary build and guess what? no kernel support with Debian 11.

... I thought it was the end and I had to roll another distro... until I found out about backporting.

Now I'm on the newest backported kernel, which is really recent and everything works as expected. Boy Debian is such a treat for me that I ain't swapping it out of my systems for the foreseeable future.

edit: I also had to backport the amd-firmware package in order for the GPU to work. This can be done from the terminal even when not entering to the desktop. If anybody reads this, make sure you have access to a terminal with internet connection before backporting the kernel, or perhaps try to backport first the amd-firmware package and then backporting the kernel, otherwise black screens can be seen after grub loading.

• Like 1

On 10/06/2022 at 10:41, Arceles said:

It is actually two years behind. I discovered this because I got a radeon rx6600 for my primary build and guess what? no kernel support with Debian 11.

... I thought it was the end and I had to roll another distro... until I found out about backporting.

Now I'm on the newest backported kernel, which is really recent and everything works as expected. Boy Debian is such a treat for me that I ain't swapping it out of my systems for the foreseeable future.

edit: I also had to backport the amd-firmware package in order for the GPU to work. This can be done from the terminal even when not entering to the desktop. If anybody reads this, make sure you have access to a terminal with internet connection before backporting the kernel, or perhaps try to backport first the amd-firmware package and then backporting the kernel, otherwise black screens can be seen after grub loading.

Interesting..

On 31/12/2020 at 13:47, Mindovermaster said:

I don't think KDE is the reason for not using it. People gunna love, people gunna hate...

All of my preferred distributions are based on KDE and Debian with the sole exception of open SUSE (which replaced Fedora - which replaced RH as my RPM option) - and there I prefer the KDE spin.  KDE did pick up a TON of Haterade with KDE 4 - a lot of folks preferred to stick with GNOME 3 instead.  opem SUSE still offers both as options - and was my battleground because it offered - and still does - both.  I also have a true *Wrong Field* distribution - Sabayon KDE - it's a Gentoo-based KDE spin that I actually prefer to Kubuntu - despite being largely cross-compatible with it.  I call it a *Wrong Field* choice because it IS Gentoo-based - which I normally would despise (Gentoo has a reputation of being newbie-unfriendly - I am still a newbie, and I teach newbies - yet Sabayon is a preference over Kubuntu - which is aimed at newbies?).

On 11/06/2022 at 16:44, PGHammer said:

All of my preferred distributions are based on KDE and Debian with the sole exception of open SUSE (which replaced Fedora - which replaced RH as my RPM option) - and there I prefer the KDE spin.  KDE did pick up a TON of Haterade with KDE 4 - a lot of folks preferred to stick with GNOME 3 instead.  opem SUSE still offers both as options - and was my battleground because it offered - and still does - both.  I also have a true *Wrong Field* distribution - Sabayon KDE - it's a Gentoo-based KDE spin that I actually prefer to Kubuntu - despite being largely cross-compatible with it.  I call it a *Wrong Field* choice because it IS Gentoo-based - which I normally would despise (Gentoo has a reputation of being newbie-unfriendly - I am still a newbie, and I teach newbies - yet Sabayon is a preference over Kubuntu - which is aimed at newbies?).

Everyone gunna hate, one way or another. Choice..

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/07/2022 at 10:31, forster said:

Pop. Yeah, I said it.

Also, Im a grand master? wtf is that

You dang English people.. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 25/01/2023 at 10:34, The_Decimator said:

I've solely been using Devuan KDE these days, triple booted on my laptop with Android and Windows.  It's very slick.

Never used Devuan. But being it's based off Debian, it's probably just the same.

• Mindovermaster unpinned and locked this topic