Which Linux distribution do you prefer?

Which Linux distribution do you prefer?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite?

20 minutes ago, remixedcat said:

Mint Linux has been good :)

I've been using it for a few years now. With the latest update though I'm noticing my network connection at home seems to drop every so often. There are multiple possibilities for why it's happening (the update to version 20, messing around with VPNs, my service provider) so I'm not going to put the blame on the system. I might just need to do a fresh install rather than the upgrade. It just feels like a bit of a hassle, I've got everything just how I like it right now. There's just that small niggle.

For me, I don't have just one distribution i like. But, i have 4 distributions in 2 categories :

Fixed release :

1. Linux Mint (simple, stable, recommended for beginners)

2. Pop!_OS (modern, stable)

Rolling release :

1. Solus (simple, stable, can be recommended for beginners but less choice for software included)

2. Manjaro (way more powerful than the 3 others, can be less stable than the 3 others)

I voted for Manjaro.

54 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I've been using it for a few years now. With the latest update though I'm noticing my network connection at home seems to drop every so often. There are multiple possibilities for why it's happening (the update to version 20, messing around with VPNs, my service provider) so I'm not going to put the blame on the system. I might just need to do a fresh install rather than the upgrade. It just feels like a bit of a hassle, I've got everything just how I like it right now. There's just that small niggle.

Same.. there's been a lot of attacks more than this time last year.. It's 2020 after all..

1 hour ago, remixedcat said:

Same.. there's been a lot of attacks more than this time last year.. It's 2020 after all..

You back remixedcat? lol, havent seen you for awhile.. 👋

Only 154 voters?

> "Donald Trump - 45th President of the United States",  ·  in Domestic Politics,  38,228  Replies

This web site is recognized, but not many are using Linux yet.  Among the short list of comments that I could see, some ignorance exists about Linux.  Not all Debian or RPM operating systems are the same.  The RPM-based system as are so disagreed with each other that they form incompatible battles with the many other RPM-based brands.

Most Linux operating systems prefer the Debian base.  Of those that prefer DEB, most prefer to use Ubuntu-core as their base.

Ubuntu-core has both an inner-family.  These five desktop environments are released simultaneously, but are different enough to not intrude on each others feet.  For example, Kubuntu will not use gparted,m because it prefers using the a version of gparted, unique to KDE.

The outer family of the official Ubuntu group are community versions that dare to include risky commercial products & modification.  The most famous of the Ubuntu-core group is Mint, which Canonical is careful to not label as an unwanted child.  Mint created many unique changes which Canonical tries to avoid.  Most Ubuntu-core based creators  are more specialized, with their narrow niche targets.

Probably the most Ubuntu-outrageous system is LinuxFX.  This is a Ubuntu-core system, trying to imitate Windows-10.  It is the best in curing Windows-10 limitations & bugs.  Even when launched from a USB-stick, without installation.

• 4 months later...
44 minutes ago, betamaxman said:

Don't understand open suse not one of the most popular, it's the best I have used since 2003. Perhaps its that people don't like kde.

I don't think KDE is the reason for not using it. People gunna love, people gunna hate...

15 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I don't think KDE is the reason for not using it. People gunna love, people gunna hate...

This is pretty true right here.. A lot of people like to ###### on KDE.. but I really like it.. I'm actually using KDE with Arch, lol. It just feels more complete. I know you can add/remove from anything, but I do like it . Not sure if the WM/DE should ever be a reason to not like a Linux distro.. just a few commands and you have go to whichever one you want.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fusi0n said:

This is pretty true right here.. A lot of people like to ###### on KDE.. but I really like it.. I'm actually using KDE with Arch, lol. It just feels more complete. I know you can add/remove from anything, but I do like it . Not sure if the WM/DE should ever be a reason to not like a Linux distro.. just a few commands and you have go to whichever one you want.. 

it’s all about Wayfire....

/runs off

• 6 months later...

My experience so far with PopOS and Ubuntu:

I decided to give Ubuntu latest version a try and I have to say I was beyond disappointed with its performance compared to PopOS. PopOS seems to be very polished and optimized to run like a bat out of hell, yet Ubuntu seems slow and drags. Maybe its my computer that doesn't like Ubuntu, but with PopOS my PC flies like a jet. 

On 27/07/2021 at 05:19, spacelordmaster said:

My experience so far with PopOS and Ubuntu:

I decided to give Ubuntu latest version a try and I have to say I was beyond disappointed with its performance compared to PopOS. PopOS seems to be very polished and optimized to run like a bat out of hell, yet Ubuntu seems slow and drags. Maybe its my computer that doesn't like Ubuntu, but with PopOS my PC flies like a jet. 

Performance-wise, Pop! OS did something with disk I/O, which is likely why it feels so much faster too.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=popos-ubuntu-2004&num=1

• Like 1

I settled on PopOS because they're also a hardware OEM and seem to have a sense of direction and professionalism with their OS development. Mint is good to but I don't like that they get involved in OS politics. Then there is also the the annoying Google search nonsense they got going on in the browser where they make you jump through hoops to add it to FF. Absolutely no one cares and it ain't hurting Google one bit.

I'd like to get a Pop machine one day. Just can't afford it right now.

• Like 1

After trying so many Linux distros, I settled for POP OS. I really liked Garuda's interface and icons but found it to be a memory and resource hog and not as optimized and fast as PopOS, but I figured out how to make POPOS look like Garuda so now I'm a happy camper. This is my POPOS setup:

Screenshot from 2021-07-27 09-32-42.png

popos-2.png

• Like 3

On 27/07/2021 at 08:33, spacelordmaster said:

After trying so many Linux distros, I settled for POP OS. I really liked Garuda's interface and icons but found it to be a memory and resource hog and not as optimized and fast as PopOS, but I figured out how to make POPOS look like Garuda so now I'm a happy camper. This is my POPOS setup:

GNOME always is. ;)

On 27/07/2021 at 12:43, Mindovermaster said:

GNOME always is. ;)

PopOS is Gnome and is not a memory and resource hog. It works like a charm.

On 27/07/2021 at 16:06, spacelordmaster said:

PopOS is Gnome and is not a memory and resource hog. It works like a charm.

PopOS isn't heavy on it's own, Just GNOME is. Been like that for years. GNOME vs KDE isn't a big comparison. Now, If you compare GNOME and XFCE, now you see a big difference.

• Like 1

On 27/07/2021 at 17:15, Mindovermaster said:

PopOS isn't heavy on it's own, Just GNOME is. Been like that for years. GNOME vs KDE isn't a big comparison. Now, If you compare GNOME and XFCE, now you see a big difference.

I have tried KDE in different distros. Manjaro, Garuda, etc and it always gave me issues for some reason. Crashes, freezes, slow performance. PopOS has never given me a single issue. It's a very good OS. Well optimized.

On 27/07/2021 at 16:35, spacelordmaster said:

I have tried KDE in different distros. Manjaro, Garuda, etc and it always gave me issues for some reason. Crashes, freezes, slow performance. PopOS has never given me a single issue. It's a very good OS. Well optimized.

It's based off Cinnamon. Did you give that a try?

On 27/07/2021 at 17:38, Mindovermaster said:

It's based off Cinnamon. Did you give that a try?

I did. Didn't like it. Just not as snappy as PopOS.

• 10 months later...