My Galaxy S8 is coming apart

Two nights ago I noticed that my Galaxy S8 "wobbled" when I put it down on the coffee table (it is usually stood in a Samsung Fast Charge cradle on my desk). I thought this was odd, but I also noticed the official Samsung silicone case I have for it, no longer completely covers the volume rocker and bixby button, so I took it out of the case and lo and behold, it looks like the backplate has come loose, you can see glue strands and when I press, it seals again but does not stay "stuck".

Some points:

• I never have this phone in my back pocket, and therefore never sit on it
  • There is no damage to the backplate (like a bend mark or nick or something)
  • No damage to the screen, which should crack/shatter if forcibly bent
  • It is always in the silicone case (since I bought it in 2017)
  • It is only ever in my front jeans pocket if I head out somewhere

I work from home so in addition to all of the above, my Galaxy S8 isn't even in my pocket often, it is usually in the charge cradle, I also don't take it upstairs with me to bed.

@Rich Woods said after seeing the below pics if the battery has expanded, but I have no idea since it isn't a removable battery.

Anyway since Samsung only offers guarantee for two years I am now returning it to the shop I bought it at, which offered three years (two and a half for battery) it falls well within that period for the battery too, so we'll see! 

I made some photos:

unnamed4.jpg

unnamed1.jpg

unnamed2.jpg

unnamed3.jpg

And below a shot of the other side, which is completely sealed:

goodside.jpg

Has the case only come apart on one side? 

In my experience, with batteries that are expanding, they normally do it uni-formally(?) so it should be even. 

The other things that jumps to mind is that adhesive has lost it's tackiness 

Actually just had a look at an S8 teardown. 

image.thumb.png.67c1af6fbf7435f82f663184f94e464c.png

The battery sits to one side and I think it's the same side that your case has some undone. 

Think I'm with Rich here.

Source for pic

Damn, that is dangerous right? I have already ordered a backup phone (will arrive tomorrow) but what are the chances of it blowing up?

Edit: I powered it off to be on the safe side.

2 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Damn, that is dangerous right? I have already ordered a backup phone (will arrive tomorrow) but what are the chances of it blowing up?

Edit: I powered it off to be on the safe side.

probably less of a chance then you might think

as long as you're not pinching/forcing it back then the swelling will most likely just affect battery life

it's more if it gets punctured while swollen that it has a chance to blow up or catch fire from my understanding

6 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

probably less of a chance then you might think

as long as you're not pinching/forcing it back then the swelling will most likely just affect battery life

it's more if it gets punctured while swollen that it has a chance to blow up or catch fire from my understanding

Ah k thanks :D

Quick google search for is swollen battery dangerous:

"Don't charge or use it at all, because lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries that are bulging have already bypassed built-in safeguards and are swollen with gases. Continued charging or use could lead to a runaway reaction that results in a fire or an explosion."

• Like 2

The thought I had was just that the glue had lost its stick, maybe due to heat if it’s regularly charging? Although that would mean it was a mistake by Samsung, and they can do no wrong! Well, minus heating issues with batteries...

3 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Ah k thanks :D

Quick google search for is swollen battery dangerous:

"Don't charge or use it at all, because lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries that are bulging have already bypassed built-in safeguards and are swollen with gases. Continued charging or use could lead to a runaway reaction that results in a fire or an explosion."

ah yeah, better safe than sorry; especially with those larger batteries

I've had a few devices that worked fine with swollen batteries with lower charge capacity but those were smaller devices to be fair; mostly wireless headsets so a much lower voltage.

Didn't the S8's have a problem with explody batteries?  (Honest question not a troll)

(Now for the troll)

Samsung mixed up their munitions and consumer lines again.

Just now, Matthew S. said:

Didn't the S8's have a problem with explody batteries?

no that was the Notes specifically

3 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

no that was the Notes specifically

Ah.

Actually did a quick google after @Brandon Hmentioned that to double check if there were any reported cases of the S8 going nuclear, none thus far, but I swear I read that within the last month or two.

Well the good news of this is that regardless of warranty status, Samsung might actually replace it if you get in touch with their customer support. OEMs typically replace these no questions asked as they are a safety risk.

on the plus side the phone started the battery removal process for you. Gave you a nice opening to stick something into the cut away the glue, to replace the battery.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, warwagon said:

on the plus side the phone started the battery removal process for you. Gave you a nice opening to stick something into the cut away the glue, to replace the battery.

A good shout, if you think you're going to bin the phone anyway. It may be worth seeing if you're able to replace the battery.

Helium battery!

Seriously though, swap out the battery asap or it'll just get worse. Have you noticed any degradation in charging and battery life too?

https://www.replacebase.co.uk/for-samsung-galaxy-s8-g950-replacement-battery-eb-bg950abe-3-85v-3000mah

I used these guys for my Nexus 4 battery and it was top notch.

1 minute ago, PsYcHoKiLLa said:

Helium battery!

Seriously though, swap out the battery asap or it'll just get worse. Have you noticed any degradation in charging and battery life too?

I work from home so it is mostly charged all the way sitting in the Samsung charge cradle, but yes I did notice it discharged rather quickly.

I ordered a backup phone (Huawei P Smart) while my S8 is being looked at.

I always say - what cannot be fixed by duct tape can be fixed by more duct tape. This seems to be a rare case, when fixing your problems with duct tape is not an option.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Steven P. said:

I work from home so it is mostly charged all the way sitting in the Samsung charge cradle, but yes I did notice it discharged rather quickly.

I ordered a backup phone (Huawei P Smart) while my S8 is being looked at.

Is it global? Would it work on Verizon, if so, if you are going to trash it you could always sent it to me :D

1 hour ago, warwagon said:

Is it global? Would it work on Verizon, if so, if you are going to trash it you could always sent it to me :D

Haha no it is still under guarantee with the place I bought it at (despite Samsung warranty having run out) so I have a return slip and I am sending it back tomorrow 😛

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Haha no it is still under guarantee with the place I bought it at (despite Samsung warranty having run out) so I have a return slip and I am sending it back tomorrow 😛

That's great news!