9-year-old arrested on car theft charge

Cory Bone's 6- and 7-year-old sons thought they'd made a new friend when a Rainier Elementary School third-grader came to their house to play earlier this week.

But the next day, the 9-year-old boy stole Bone's 1994 Mercury Topaz, which was in her driveway with the keys in the ignition, police said. Thurston County sheriff's deputies arrested the boy Wednesday on a first-degree theft charge.

"They were angry," Bone said of her two sons, whose first day at Rainier Elementary was Monday because the family recently relocated from Tumwater. "The first thing out of the mouth of the 6-year-old was 'traitor.' "

The boy had visited Bone's home earlier in the afternoon looking for her sons, who weren't home, Bone said.

At 3:45 p.m., the boy found the keys in the ignition of her car and drove around the neighborhood, Kimball said.

Sheriff's deputies responded to a call shortly before 4 p.m. that a vehicle was stuck in a ditch near Horizon Pioneer Road and Thistle Down Lane. The officer tracked down the vehicle, which was out of the ditch by that time and driving through the neighborhood.

"He noticed there was a small person driving the car," sheriff's Capt. Dan Kimball said.

Authorities declined to release the boy's name but said he is 4 feet 6 inches tall and weighs 71 pounds.

The officer who pulled the vehicle over recognized the 9-year-old from an incident on Dec. 14, when the third-grader was arrested for stealing a Honda dirt bike that belonged to another boy, Kimball said.

After the December charge, the 9-year-old was put on probation, which was in effect when he was arrested again Wednesday, Kimball said.

Bone said she found some problems with her vehicle such as leaking anti-freeze and a few gouges, which her insurance company plans to investigate.

"I've heard of young cases, but it's very rare to have a 9-year-old stealing cars," Kimball said.

"Our first concern, of course, is that someone could get hurt. Our other concern is that this young man doesn't seem to get it."

Thurston County prosecutors said they doubt the 9-year-old will spend time in a juvenile detention center.

It's more likely the boy will undergo psychological testing and be required to attend disciplinary classes, prosecutors said.

"He will do some type of probation," Thurston County Prosecuting Attorney Ed Holm said.

"A kid like that, we need to do some exams to find out what's wrong. When a 9-year-old runs off with a car, something is obviously haywire, and we'll have to find out what it is."

That's exactly what Bone and her family hope will come from the incident.

Although her sons were initially angry, Bone said Thursday the family simply wants the boy to get help.

"I'd rather somebody be able to guide him," Bone said. "I don't want the little boy to spend the rest of his life in jail."

http://theolympian.com/home/news/20040206/...age/30443.shtml

its funny... i've played grand theft auto so much that occasionally when i'm driving around, i see something and think "wow that'd be a great place to do a jump off of" lol of course, another part of my brain kicks in that stops me from doing it... i think these people lack that part

its funny... i've played grand theft auto so much that occasionally when i'm driving around, i see something and think "wow that'd be a great place to do a jump off of" lol  of course, another part of my brain kicks in that stops me from doing it... i think these people lack that part

That part of the brain is known as the "Commetius Sensitorium" or, the Common Sense control for the brain. As you see in the example above, some people are born without this crucial brain area, and are forced to live their life jumping out of 20 story windows, suspending children from school for saying "hell", marrying wild dogs, trying to rape dogs, and of course, banning the word "evolution". It's not a fun life, and these people should be treated with caution, for you never know what will happen next. ;)

the article didn't mention anything about the 9 yo's parents or have any comments from them.  I wonder where they are?

they're prolly too busy to be parents....they need to do some time in jail for being ****ty parents

its funny... i've played grand theft auto so much that occasionally when i'm driving around, i see something and think "wow that'd be a great place to do a jump off of" lol of course, another part of my brain kicks in that stops me from doing it... i think these people lack that part

I cant say that has happened to me, but I will give it a thought next time I am driving lol. I have always thought a high speed cop chase would be fun, who wouldnt? But that will never happen, you know, dont want to kill anyone or end up in jail.

I know quite a few people with large properties, maybe I should get some friends together, buy a $50 POS car each, and have a big destruction derby lol.

Obviously a parental problem, as they're not even referenced/quoted in the article.

Is it so "normal" for folks to just leave keys in their ignition, regardless?

I'd have readily lost countless cars if I had such a habit, and they wouldn't be found in ditches.

hes just practicing for when hes older and driving a stolen car with cops behing him and bag of cash from a 7-11 in the passenger seat, perhaps on the lap of a bystander.

Obviously a parental problem, as they're not even referenced/quoted in the article.

Is it so "normal" for folks to just leave keys in their ignition, regardless?

I'd have readily lost countless cars if I had such a habit, and they wouldn't be found in ditches.

Its illegal in Australia to leave keys unatended in a car, well, its kinda stupid to do it anyway.