• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

WIN 7 Updates still being sent?

Howard Davis    17

I received what appeared to be a Win 7 update yesterday.

I was wondering if these are still being sent, and if not, whether or not malware could be installed through this route?

If this poses a vulnerability, can the receiving of such updates be blocked?

erpster3    37

what is the specific Win7 update you are talking about?

post a screenshot of it if possible

Howard Davis    17
12 hours ago, erpster3 said:

what is the specific Win7 update you are talking about?

post a screenshot of it if possible

It was received on Feb. 12 or 13, and nothing showed indicating installation was in process when I turned on the computer on Feb 13th.

Going to installed updates shows Adobe Acrobat reader 20.006.20034 was installed yesterday (2/13).

goretsky    1,095

Hello,

Microsoft released one post-EOL update for Windows 7 to fix an issue with the wallpaper not being displayed as a result of the last Windows 7 update, from what I recollect.

That was just a one-off update to fix an issue caused by the last "supported" update; you should not expect any further updates to Windows 7.  It would probably be a good idea to look in to updating to Windows 10 if you can, as Microsoft is providing mainstream support for it (security, performance, compatibility and bug fixes), as well as new features, functionality and device support, when needed.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Howard Davis    17

Thanks for the replies.

It appears that Win 7 may be as secure or more so than 10, if one has good virus and malware protection.

My concern is that the updating process may be used to bypass this protection to install malware. Now that no more updates can be expected for 7, can this possible vulnerability be removed by deleting whatever enables updates to be installed? If so, how?

Jim K    14,127
17 minutes ago, Howard Davis said:

Thanks for the replies.

It appears that Win 7 may be as secure or more so than 10, if one has good virus and malware protection.

My concern is that the updating process may be used to bypass this protection to install malware. Now that no more updates can be expected for 7, can this possible vulnerability be removed by deleting whatever enables updates to be installed? If so, how?

How/why would Microsoft Windows Update start feeding you malware/etc.?  afaik they are the same server(s) used by Win 8.x/10 ... WSUS just determines which updates are applicable to your system (Win7 being "none" now).

I would be more concerned of an unpatched (never to be patched) exploit down the road which may bypass your "good virus and malware protection"

"Win 7 may be as secure or more so than 10" ... yea, no.

Mockingbird    2,914

Windows 7 is end-of-life (EOL)

Upgrade to Windows 10

Louisifer    766

This is one of the 3rd party updates that come from windows update, theres a small chance MS will still allow some partners to push updates if critical enough. 

As for Windows 7 being more secure than windows 10... nope. at best the security would be 80%'ish, its security is based on designs from 2009.. by this time next year it'll probably be a secret bitcoin miner. :D