WIN 7 Updates still being sent?

1 minute ago, Matthew S. said:

That "expert tech" is just afraid of change.  To be honest, I haven't had a need to tweak anything on Windows 10 (that I'm aware of doing) to make it fit my needs, not at home, nor at work.  I use multiple OS's (macOS, Linux, Windows 10) daily, they each have their own quirks but I rather deal with the quirks than leave myself wide open for infection.

Same; I have not felt the need to tweak anything on Windows 10. It just works for me.

I can see why some people would like Start10 or similar to restore the Windows 7 style Start Menu but personally I prefer the Windows 10 style Start Menu; I like being able to click the letter to jump down the list as needed; and I like how the pinning of apps is handled on the right.

The built in Notification Center is also really nice on Windows 10 when apps make use of it; there's nothing like this on previous versions of Windows.

Sure settings could be handled a bit better in the new Settings app but that's minor for an average non techie user and the positive changes far outweigh the negatives IMO

51 minutes ago, Howard Davis said:

Thanks again for your replies.

I contacted the expert tech that installed a solid-state hard drive in my computer last year, which works fine - faster and more reliable than than the hard drive the computer came with. Here is his response:

"I still have windows 7 running on my thinkpad laptop. I wouldn’t upgrade to Windows 10 unless it’s absolutely necessary. For one thing, I’m not sure if the upgrade is free...technically you have to buy a Windows 10 upgrade license but I read somewhere that the upgrade may be free. Since you already have avast and malwarebytes, I would just stick to Windows 7 for now."

“Expert tech” talks a lot of crap

14 hours ago, Howard Davis said:

Thanks again for your replies.

I contacted the expert tech that installed a solid-state hard drive in my computer last year, which works fine - faster and more reliable than than the hard drive the computer came with. Here is his response:

"I still have windows 7 running on my thinkpad laptop. I wouldn’t upgrade to Windows 10 unless it’s absolutely necessary. For one thing, I’m not sure if the upgrade is free...technically you have to buy a Windows 10 upgrade license but I read somewhere that the upgrade may be free. Since you already have avast and malwarebytes, I would just stick to Windows 7 for now."

As a general rule, those people who refer to themselves as experts are in fact, not. 

• Like 2