Help me understand this logic

I am using an NVMO called Tello who uses the Sprint PCS network. However I have been noticing that whenever I am on the phone, any app that needs internet (i.e. Lyft, maps, etc) does not work while I am on the phone call, but as soon as I hang up, it works. I called them today and asked them why this is, and I was told "We do not support that feature" "Our company policy forbids it" Why would any company choose to do this, and why would they do it? At this point and time, I am ready to cancel the service, even though I am paid up for another 4 months, and go to another carrier.

It's the technology Sprint uses.  I am on Sprint.  That being said, they just added VoLTE to my Samsung S9 Android 10 ROM, so I should be able to make calls over data, so internet would work, but that's assuming your phone will be updated, also.

Otherwise, you would have to use a separate phone app that makes calls over data instead of cellular.  

Alternatively, your internet will work if you are connected to wifi, and you can use wifi calling, also.

Hope that makes sense.  Definitely annoying.  Not sure if VoLTE will be available without updating ROM or now.  

For some further reference:  https://community.sprint.com/t5/Buzz-About-Wireless/Make-calls-and-use-data-at-the-same-time-with-Sprint-s-Calling/ba-p/961338

I couldn't use the LTE Calling because of spotty coverage in certain areas, but if you have good coverage.  You can probably turn on Calling Plus and the LTE Calling.  It does say it's Sprint Network only, but maybe your carrier has something similar or works with Sprint on it.

could be a limitation Sprint is enforcing on the MVNOs as well.

Sprint is still in the process of merging with T-Mobile so things will probably change for the better at some point or you could move to T-Mobile or one of their MVNOs such as Metro.

I have no issue like this on Metro; they've been a very reliable carrier for me personally

I am considering going to Xfinity Mobile for the same price each month, and they use Verizon, so IDK if that would be any better.

18 minutes ago, farmeunit said:

For some further reference:  https://community.sprint.com/t5/Buzz-About-Wireless/Make-calls-and-use-data-at-the-same-time-with-Sprint-s-Calling/ba-p/961338

I couldn't use the LTE Calling because of spotty coverage in certain areas, but if you have good coverage.  You can probably turn on Calling Plus and the LTE Calling.  It does say it's Sprint Network only, but maybe your carrier has something similar or works with Sprint on it.

I do not have that option, so it might be like @Brandon H said, something they don't offer to the NVMO's

I also checked, and I am paid up until the end of June, but honestly I have no qualms leaving early.

Edited by jnelsoninjax

IDK if their MVNOs are any better but I can't stand Verizon as a carrier. I got off Verizon when I was old enough and had a good enough paying job to get off my Mom's plan and haven't looked back.

Verizon is horrible with Customer Support and the prices they lock you into; so the price locking should at least not be an issue on the MVNOs

At least with MVNOs most are no-contract so you're free to jump ship to another carrier if it doesn't work out and you don't like the service. That's what I did a few times; started on Net10, moved to Cricket for a time, and now I'm on Metro by T-Mobile and have been quite happy with it in my area.

CDMA doesn't allow call and internet traffic at the same time. Supposedly this was fixed with LTE, but I run into the same problem with Verizon with my work phone. No issues using ATT GSM/5GE on personal phone.

Just now, shockz said:

CDMA doesn't allow call and internet traffic at the same time. Supposedly this was fixed with LTE, but I run into the same problem with Verizon. 

another good reason to get away from CDMA then. It was never a good protocol IMO, was just meant to make it harder to switch devices on your own IMO compared to just swapping your SIM card to another device.

Just now, Brandon H said:

another good reason to get away from CDMA then. It was never a good protocol IMO, was just meant to make it harder to switch devices on your own IMO compared to just swapping your SIM card to another device.

Verizon and other CDMA providers have been using SIMs for years.

1 minute ago, shockz said:

Verizon and other CDMA providers have been using SIMs for years.

no all are removable though; many of their phones use eSIMs now. At least from my experience

6 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

no all are removable though; many of their phones use eSIMs now. At least from my experience

Which ones aren't removable? All 4 major carriers in the US have been using sims for over a decade now. My first Verizon SIM was with an iPhone 4S and I was able to swap devices with same SIM.

6 minutes ago, shockz said:

Which ones aren't removable? All 4 major carriers in the US have been using sims for over a decade now. My first Verizon SIM was with an iPhone 4S and I was able to swap devices with same SIM.

iPhone is one of the exceptions since they got their act together when they started finally supporting multiple carriers.

I know Samsung devices use eSIM, not sure about other OEMs.

4 minutes ago, techbeck said:

I think most of the phones that have eSIM also support the micro sim card as well.

good to know that's become a thing then :)

There are lists of phones and carriers that support eSIM.  Latest iPhones/iPads, watches, Google devices, Samsung.....  And most major carriers support it.  eSIM just is not to popular as of yet.

1 minute ago, techbeck said:

eSIM just is not to popular as of yet.

probably because it makes hot swapping to another phone more difficult like the old CDMA days. Nothing easier than popping out your SIM and putting it into another phone when wanted/needed :)

1 minute ago, Brandon H said:

probably because it makes hot swapping to another phone more difficult like the old CDMA days. Nothing easier than popping out your SIM and putting it into another phone when wanted/needed :)

Probably.  What I did when I went from my Nexus 6p to my Pixel 4.  No visit or call to Verizon.

31 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

Does Verizon use CDMA?

25 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

iPhone is one of the exceptions since they got their act together when they started finally supporting multiple carriers.

Galaxy, Moto. All used sims back in the late 2000s with CDMA. 

24 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Does Verizon use CDMA?

yes, both Verizon and Sprint are CDMA carriers. AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM carriers.

2 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

yes, both Verizon and Sprint are CDMA carriers. AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM carriers.

So if I understand what is being said, CDMA networks are going to have the issue like I am having, but GSM will not?

7 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

So if I understand what is being said, CDMA networks are going to have the issue like I am having, but GSM will not?

IDK. As farmeunity mentioned that limitation was covered for on CDMA networks some time ago so I think it still comes back to Sprint probably not allowing it to work on the MVNOs

37 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Does Verizon use CDMA?

As a fallback. LTE is a GSM tech.

VoLTE has been around for a pretty long time with Verizon.

Just now, Brandon H said:

IDK. As farmeunity mentioned that limitation was covered for on CDMA networks some time ago so I think it still comes back to Sprint probably not allowing it to work on the MVNOs

OK, I see, so maybe I should ask the NVMO's before I commit to them if they allow voice and data at the same time.

1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

As a fallback. LTE is a GSM tech.

VoLTE has been around for a pretty long time with Verizon.

OK, makes sense, thanks!

5 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

OK, I see, so maybe I should ask the NVMO's before I commit to them if they allow voice and data at the same time.

pretty much. I'm guessing as long as the phone you get supports Voice over LTE (VoLTE) though then it should work as desired.

Just now, jnelsoninjax said:

That's not a bad idea.

I can vouch for Mint Mobile, they're on T-Mobile's network and they do voice & data.