What OS does your computer run?

What OS does your computer run?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What OS does your computer run?

Pretty straight forward. I put an Other category, but I can not think of what would fall under that!

5 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Pretty straight forward. I put an Other category, but I can not think of what would fall under that!

Unix

Solaris
Android X86

Ms Dos

Chrome OS

BeOS

AmigaOS

5 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Unix

Solaris
Android X86

Ms Dos

Chrome OS

BeOS

AmigaOS

OK, let me rephrase it, I could not think of any other OS that someone would be using (with the exception of Unix) @warwagon how about commodore 64, wasn't that BASIC?

I have lots of computers, but i'm assuming you are asking about the one you are on hte most. The one I am on the most is running Windows 10 Pro 1909

The other 15 or so are also running windows 10 1909.

My current main PC is WIndows 10, but I do have a home server running Ubuntu 18.04 Server and 2 Macbook Pros running OS X Catalina. I try being as OS agnostic as possible.

CPU: Intel i7 8700K

RAM: 32GB HyperX DDR4 2666Mhz

HDD: 512GB SSD + 2TB WD Black series

GPU: RTX 2080 Ti

Displays: 29" 21:9 (3620x1527) + 25" 16:9 (2715x1527)

It's been pretty good gaming system.

11 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

What about all the BSDs, they are not linux..  FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD..

Or what about ReactOS, its not linux and its not windows.. Even though it will run windows software.

Running Windows 10 build 16903 on one, and MacOS on the other.  And android on the tablet.  That about covers them all, right?  (And I used to use BeOS back when it first came out!)

11 hours ago, warwagon said:

I have lots of computers, but i'm assuming you are asking about the one you are on hte most. The one I am on the most is running Windows 10 Pro 1909

The other 15 or so are also running windows 10 1909.

Dang it, I only have 9! Can I count the one's in some form of disassembly? Have 5 of those! Really need to take them to recycling center. 7 are running Linux Mint 19.3 and 2 are Windows 10, 1909. I voted Linux as that is what I'm on mostly although on Windows 10 laptop right now.

11 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Dang it, I only have 9! Can I count the one's in some form of disassembly? Have 5 of those! Really need to take them to recycling center. 7 are running Linux Mint 19.3 and 2 are Windows 10, 1909. I voted Linux as that is what I'm on mostly although on Windows 10 laptop right now.

Theater

ProDesk basement PC
Above TV
Brix Pro
Security Cam
PC next to TV
Macbook Pro
27 inch iMac
ProDesk at Sara's house
File server
work laptop at sara's house

Nuc voice mail server. (Windows 7)

spare laptop 1

spare laptop 2

spare laptop 3

spare laptop 4

12 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Theater

ProDesk basement PC
Above TV
Brix Pro
Security Cam
PC next to TV
Macbook Pro
27 inch iMac
ProDesk at Sara's house
File server

spare laptop 1

spare laptop 2

spare laptop 3

spare laptop 4

Man, that's cheating! You can't count computers at some one else's house!! LOL

2 hours ago, warwagon said:

Theater

ProDesk basement PC
Above TV
Brix Pro
Security Cam
PC next to TV
Macbook Pro
27 inch iMac
ProDesk at Sara's house
File server

spare laptop 1

spare laptop 2

spare laptop 3

spare laptop 4

I actually had more than that but cleared out some stuff when I moved a few months back.    I had to much stuff that I did not need.   I do not do as much side work anymore.   I  did keep an old Dell laptop tho.  Forget model off the top of my head but it was when Win95 came out.  Still works great.  Battery shot tho. 

Dell 3800  Bedroom

Dell 3800  Living room

Dell 3800  Parts

Surface Pro 4

Dell 7470 TV

Old Dell

Spare e7470

Acer Netbook

Got a few spare work systems I use to test software installs/updates and other thing on.  A Surface Pro 7 that I take to meetings.  Display station laptop.  My Dell laptop I use primarily for everything else.   These are all at work though except for my main laptop.

Anyway, mainly WinOS but I support Apple and a little linux at work. 

Edited by techbeck

Linux Mint v19.x on all four of my computers (ranked in order from best to worst overall)...

1)Primary desktop (the computer I use day-to-day ; i3-2120 CPU) = v19.3-Cinnamon

2)Backup desktop (Athlon X2 3600+ (Socket 939) CPU) = v19.3-Xfce

3)Primary laptop (crap CPU) = v19.3-Xfce

4)Backup laptop (even more crap CPU and a smaller screen which makes it even worse) = v19.2-Xfce (but since it's screen is quite small and it's pretty much crap, I figured I would get some use out of it, so I installed Pi-Hole (i.e. https://pi-hole.net/ ) on it which gives one network-wide ad filtering and all you got to do is adjust your routers DNS server to the IP address of the device running Pi-Hole (during Pi-Hole installation you can select a static IP so the PI-Hole IP address does not change which is important otherwise it will take out your internet connection) and then any device connected to the router through a typical DHCP connection will benefit from the ad-filtering without having to install anything on that computer. it's not as thorough as browser extensions like uBlock Origin (by Raymond Hill), but it still gives one a decent level of ad-filtering)

NOTE: the laptop's CPU's are just crap to the point one MUST run Linux on them just so they are usable as a basic internet machine and it's not a major chore to use. because with Windows 10 on them it burns up too much CPU and makes a already slow CPU pretty much unusable. hell, they can't even play many x264 720p video files. like YouTube works okay at I think 720p but the CPU is being really taxed.

NOTE: the socket 939 computer (I bought the motherboard in March 2006 which at the time was a solid motherboard) has to run Linux since Windows 10 64bit requires NX-bit to install which apparently the motherboard in that is too old and does not support it even though the CPU apparently does. so the 64bit version of Windows 10 refuses to install and even with Windows 10 32bit, while it installs and you can get to the desktop to do things, is unstable (basically can't be used). but Windows 7 and Linux are stable on that computer and since Microsoft dropped support of Windows 7 in Jan 2020, then naturally Linux is the only option on that Socket 939 computer if one wants a secure internet machine etc. running the motherboards most recent BIOS did not help either.

NOTE: while my Primary desktop sees the most use hands down, I would say for the most part, the Primary laptop probably sees the second most use since it's portable around the house and is a passable basic internet machine and I don't like smart phones for doing anything worthwhile online as smart phones are okay for looking something up quickly but if I am going to spend a fair amount of time or more online, screw the smart phone, I am going to desktop (maybe laptop).

NOTE: I dumped Windows 10 in Jan 2019 and have been pretty much using Linux Mint exclusively since (in fact, with Linux I recently set a record uptime with 68 days and 15 hours but it only ended because I had to reboot etc). about the only time Windows 10 sees a little use once in a while is through VirtualBox virtual machine.

• Desktop and Laptops: Windows 10 Pro, Pop!_OS
  • Application Server: XCP-NG host with Debian virtual machines for the various self hosted applications as well as pfSense which is FreeBSD based.
  • Media Server: Windows 7 with the Internet completely blocked. No hard drives to switch over to Linux! 😞
  • Raspberry Pi NAS: Debian based OpenMediaVault

Most of this house only Linux.

My Daily Driver and Laptop: ArcoLinux (fork of Arch)

My Dad's Computer and Laptop: Mint 19.2 (might be a slight difference, idk)

My Mom's computer: Mint 19.1 (I know, I installed it just before 19.2 came out /shrug)

My Mom's iPad Air 2: Some version of XOS...

My router PC: PfSense (pretty much BSD)

I have Windows 10 Pro on both my ASUS Zenbook and Intel NUC.

I've also got a handful of virtual machines on both Hyper-V and VMWare; Win10Enterprise, Ubuntu, Centos, MacOS, Windows Server 2016 and 2019, Windows XP.

The Server, Linux and Win10Enterprise VMs are for school, I'm at George Brown College in Toronto for Computer Systems Technician.

windows 10 LTSB

• 4 weeks later...