Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Paramount+)

Just binged on Season 2. This show is turning out to be better than a lot other junk on TV. 

And the Season 3, first 2 episodes, niceeeeeee 😍

On 02/03/2023 at 15:53, wrack said:

Just binged on Season 2. This show is turning out to be better than a lot other junk on TV. 

And the Season 3, first 2 episodes, niceeeeeee 😍

Strange New Worlds only has one season…

Think you mean to post here, 

On 03/03/2023 at 11:13, primortal said:

Strange New Worlds only has one season…

Think you mean to post here, 

Ahh. My bad.

The streams got crossed 😁🤞

• 4 weeks later...

Season 2 this June and renewed for season 3!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have yet to see any episodes beyond the pilot...so what's a good one to watch first that has a good old "classic TOS" feel to it? (I picked up the DVD set at Wally World yesterday lol.) 

Thx! :)

On 28/03/2023 at 17:35, nerim said:

so what's a good one to watch first that has a good old "classic TOS" feel to it?

eenie meenie miney moe, that works! lol.

On 28/03/2023 at 20:35, nerim said:

I have yet to see any episodes beyond the pilot...so what's a good one to watch first that has a good old "classic TOS" feel to it? (I picked up the DVD set at Wally World yesterday lol.) 

Thx! :)

IMHO, they all do. All the episodes are primarily independent of each other and the only commonality is Pike's pending death and the Gorn.

I don't understand why they brought back the Gorn. Such a silly b-movie monster suit, not unlike the Mugato (sp?) and a couple of other TOS "monsters" that never belonged in an otherwise intelligent and mature series. But, oh well! 🙄

On 30/03/2023 at 09:48, nerim said:

I don't understand why they brought back the Gorn. Such a silly b-movie monster suit, not unlike the Mugato (sp?) and a couple of other TOS "monsters" that never belonged in an otherwise intelligent and mature series. But, oh well! 🙄

You may not like it but you don’t understand why they did it? Really?

To a casual audience, the Gorn was kinda iconic, it was in the end credits I believe and has been featured many times in imagery of the original series.

They have been referenced MANY times since the TOS era and are an established part of lore. It’s a tie in for history’s sake and a buy in for casual viewers.

Plus, they are expanding them beyond their original characterisation. But hey, for every person who lambasts using an old race, there’s someone who also lambasts them bringing in a new one.

• Like 1

On 30/03/2023 at 09:48, nerim said:

Well, let's see.  Here is an image of the Gorn from TOS..

Gorn - Wikipedia

And here's one from SNW.

WATCH: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - The Gorn Reborn | Star Trek

I think they look pretty damn worthy of coming back, personally!  They've been completely revamped, successfully so IMO, unlike Disco's "space orc" Klingons...

• Like 3

On 30/03/2023 at 13:48, FloatingFatMan said:

I think they look pretty damn worthy of coming back, personally!  They've been completely revamped, successfully so IMO

Don’t you dare agree with me over Star Trek. It makes me feel dirty 🤣

On 30/03/2023 at 10:12, nerim said:

Wow. 

A strong argument!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we have our Klingons, and they look like TMP/TNG style and not funky Discovery version.  That should make some out there happy at least.

• Like 2

On 19/04/2023 at 17:58, George P said:

Well, we have our Klingons, and they look like TMP/TNG style and not funky Discovery version.  That should make some out there happy at least.

But... Klingons of that era are meant to be SMOOTH browed, as per Enterprise, due to the augment virus...

On 19/04/2023 at 18:48, FloatingFatMan said:

But... Klingons of that era are meant to be SMOOTH browed, as per Enterprise, due to the augment virus...

I thought it only affected some Klingons?

On 19/04/2023 at 19:40, Dick Montage said:

I thought it only affected some Klingons?

Enough that every single Klingon seen in classic Trek was a smoothie... :p  The impression was that it would infect ALL Klingons and last for several generations.  I mean, don't get me wrong, I actually enjoyed season 1 of SNW and this won't put me off, but can we PLEASE have a little bit of consistency?  The space orcs from Discovery were bad enough...

On 19/04/2023 at 21:43, FloatingFatMan said:

Enough that every single Klingon seen in classic Trek was a smoothie... :p  The impression was that it would infect ALL Klingons and last for several generations.  I mean, don't get me wrong, I actually enjoyed season 1 of SNW and this won't put me off, but can we PLEASE have a little bit of consistency?  The space orcs from Discovery were bad enough...

When did that virus go out?  How far did it actually spread out?  Is there any canon on this or just some vauge bits?   So much of the leftovers from TOS was due to crap 60s budget and effects and now we're stuck trying to work around them in 2023.  At this point I'd be fine with them redoing all of TOS in a type of soft reboot.   They'll never do it though,  just retell the older episodes with updated visuals and new sets so everything fits together.    God knows it's full of it's own errors and retcons to begin with.    

On 19/04/2023 at 20:12, George P said:

When did that virus go out?  How far did it actually spread out?  Is there any canon on this or just some vauge bits?   So much of the leftovers from TOS was due to crap 60s budget and effects and now we're stuck trying to work around them in 2023.  At this point I'd be fine with them redoing all of TOS in a type of soft reboot.   They'll never do it though,  just retell the older episodes with updated visuals and new sets so everything fits together.    God knows it's full of it's own errors and retcons to begin with.    

Honestly, I would rather Enterprise hadn't tried to explain the smooth brows... Some things are better left a mystery.

Season 2 looks great!

Also, I distinctly remember Worf commenting in TNG that the smooth brow period was a short one that was best left forgotten, or something 😛 

• Like 3

On 19/04/2023 at 23:39, Steven P. said:

Season 2 looks great!

Also, I distinctly remember Worf commenting in TNG that the smooth brow period was a short one that was best left forgotten, or something 😛 

That was DS9 episode Trials and Tribble-ations. On seeing a smooth browed Klingon for the first time, the crew query him and he snaps back "We do not discuss it with outsiders".

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/03/2023 at 09:57, Dick Montage said:

A strong argument!

It wasn't even meant to be an argument, thanks. It was a reaction of...befuddlement? Amusement? I can't even remember what it was about. But it was 2 or 3 months ago, and I'm lucky to be alive and in one piece today, and that's a fact. 😔

Well, I've watched the entire 1st season, and really liked it overall, but there are a few things that really, really bug me:

A) The comic-relief episodes, like the one about being trapped in a fantasy role play thing,  Please get back to real ones, where the ship & crew are actually doing what they are getting paid to do...fly around the galaxy & explore & meet new people...

B)  Stop dancing around/glossing over the ramifications of breaking the rules/laws/procedures.... this is supposed to be a somewhat serious show that revolves around the seriousness of exploring the galaxy, all it's wonders, AND it's dangers...first the Doc, then #1....

bring back da #1 Babe dammit !

C)   The rapid increase in hatchethead/non-binary/spikebutch people (started in ST: Burrhamner, now moving forward in SNW :(  .... please stop with that & bring back some normal-looking crew members that don't resemble a prehistoric abortion with a buzz saw gone bad...

D)  Christine...oh Christine... so smokingly hot & fiesty, but sometimes so clueless, and other times not so much.... she's supposed to be a civilian nurse something or other, but OTOH, appears to be way too familiar with almost all of the Enterprise's systems & tech for someone who is not even an official Starfleet crewmember...

However, she definitely sold the kissing scene with Spock on the bridge,

so I can live with that :D

E)  Hammer....loved his character

& really bummed about his fate, but

it will be interesting to see where this leads.. (p.s. I know already but won't spoil it for everyone who doesn't)

F)  The Gorn... enuff with them already !  They aren't the only mean, nasty, scary, evil species in the universe after all !

Edited by WaynesWorld