Protester bled from his ear after being shoved by police — cops say he ‘tripped’

7 minutes ago, Jim K said:

So, people should just shut up and color and accept things as they are?

You “protest” via elections, not on the streets.

If people actually listened to protests, we’d be living in a scary world.

2 minutes ago, Dan~ said:

You are literally victim blaming here. 

5 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

That you had to ask says it all.

I thought you were referring to something else.

But yes, had the man moved away from the police then this wouldn’t of happened.

40 minutes ago, Dan~ said:

You never went to history class in school, did you?

For a lot of people in history, protesting on the street was the only way they could protest because they either weren't allowed to vote, or weren't considered to be people.

27 minutes ago, Dan~ said:

A peaceful protest never warrants the use of force. Even if you don't agree with the message, you still have the right to counter-protest. My main question is why you think the only correct way to protest is by voting? Something that we have seen can be manipulated by unfair and unjust laws that target minorities, to redistricting areas to ensure whichever party wins?

Voting is still a good way to let you voice be heard, but it is in no way the only or even the best in most situations. Even if we got rid of the electoral collage in the general election and went solely with the majority vote, this still gives voice to the majority and leaves out the minority opinions. While these are usually unpopular, protesting can make up for lack of knowledge that may otherwise be overlooked.

One more question, did you support the protests to reopen most states by people brandishing guns and some using the threats of violence?

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Dan~ said:

Had Rosa parks stayed home, there'd still be segregation... 

If those who fought for civil rights stayed home, black people would still be considered 3/5ths of a human being. 

13 hours ago, primortal said:

Why did you say all the officers?  Why not the one that actually knocked him down in the first place or another cop?  There were plenty of them there and there was only one other protester within the area so they could have easily spared one or two cops for a mere 2 minutes.

Considering within 10 seconds the guy had medics on him why did those two have to stop? What would they have accomplished by stopping themselves?

Was calling for a medic the wrong thing to do?

13 hours ago, primortal said:

Yes, it does.  I bring light to the abuse done by a cop.  It makes us humans and not automatons'.

As if people are unable to empathize with someone else being hurt without treating them like a direct family member? If that's the only way we can empathize with others I feel like we've got bigger problems.

3 hours ago, Dan~ said:

As with all protesters, stay at home and stay safe.

If he was at home this wouldn’t of happened, simple as that

Kind of defeats the purpose of protesting than. 

3 hours ago, Dan~ said:

You do realize protesting is in part how the US came about right? 

Edited by mudslag
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Dan~ said:

Again you're blaming the victim here. Walking up to police is not an excuse to shove the man. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dan~ said:

If that were the case, then America would still be a British colony as most of America's population supported the British government back when the War of Independence got going.  It was only a small minority of protesters that kicked the whole thing off.

Protesting is vital in a free society.  Violent protests, whilst deeply unpleasant, are sometimes the ONLY way to force needed change; especially when the government stops listening to its people.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Emn1ty said:

Considering within 10 seconds the guy had medics on him why did those two have to stop? What would they have accomplished by stopping themselves?

Because it's the right thing to do as a cop.  What if the medics were called away for some other reason and didn't get to this guy?  Bleeding from the ear could be a critical injury.

I find interesting that people are trying to defend his actions and blame the victim.

Nope.  Was it right of the cop to shove the man for no reason?

As if people are unable to empathize with someone else being hurt without treating them like a direct family member? If that's the only way we can empathize with others I feel like we've got bigger problems.

The question I posed was to put things into perspective because people today are desensitized when other people are hurt and that's not a good thing.

26 minutes ago, primortal said:

to shove the man for no reason?

I don't think anything is done for "no reason", but whatever the reason, pushing an old man in such a way as he falls and his head hits the ground enough to make him bleed is excessive by anyone's definition.

11 hours ago, Emn1ty said:

Seeing as you seem to be missing the most basic of human emotions; empathy, I'll explain what the right thing to do was.

Instead of just calling for a medic and walking away without even looking back to see if one was responding (he didn't), he should have immediately knelt to attend to the civilian HIMSELF, whilst still calling for a medic.  All cops are trained with basic first aid and he should have been rendering some whilst waiting for a proper medic.

3 hours ago, primortal said:

Because it's the right thing to do as a cop. 

I think "the right thing to do" is a statement as open to interpretation as "common sense". If it's the "right thing to do as a cop", then you would have had every single cop there individually stopping to try and help the man. I imagine there was a bit more coordination than that going on in a line like that. Guess that's just a difference of how we see things here, cause as far as I saw in that video the guy did move to help, but was directed away from the man just prior to a medic being called.

What if the medics were called away for some other reason and didn't get to this guy?  Bleeding from the ear could be a critical injury.

I would assume if the medics were called away someone else would have stopped. But that's not what happened, so theorizing about it serves no purpose.

I find interesting that people are trying to defend his actions and blame the victim.

I think you've lost the context of this discussion. How is pointing out what actually happened blaming the victim? Several people in here have stated that the cops didn't stop at all, they ignored the man after he fell. I have pointed out that they did, in fact, stop almost right away. Within seconds. And somehow that's "blaming the victim"?

2 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Seeing as you seem to be missing the most basic of human emotions; empathy, I'll explain what the right thing to do was.

Instead of just calling for a medic and walking away without even looking back to see if one was responding (he didn't), he should have immediately knelt to attend to the civilian HIMSELF, whilst still calling for a medic.  All cops are trained with basic first aid and he should have been rendering some whilst waiting for a proper medic.

1) The officer did look back to assist after the man fell and was directed away, so you're wrong on that point.

2) Perhaps I'm wrong, but in that line I assume they had dedicated roles to play. And they had a medic assigned to their unit. His job was to keep the line and the medic did his job, assisted the man.

It is incredible how nitpicky people are being about this, assuming just by watching the video they know what's going on in the mind of the cop and what he "should" have done. The armchair experts here are out in strength right now.

All I'm trying to prove here is that the cops didn't just walk away from the man. They got him assistance within seconds of falling unlike what others had claimed here, but it seems nobody is satisfied with that and must generate other reasons to be mad now. Just rationalizing their frustration when they don't even have to because they lied about it in the report. You already have good reason to be angry with them, why are people trying so hard to fabricate more?

Side Note:

It's incredible how simply pointing out a fact that contradicts people's view of a situation can stir up so much resistance. Guess it's not just Trump's base who has a hard time stomaching the facts they don't like.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 5:11 PM, Human.Online said:

What an asinine question. Did he pose a threat to the well armed, well built police officers by approaching them as is his right?

cops have a duty to protect their firearm, in time of tension, you don't know the intent of people, approaching a police officer in time of tension, especially when they tell you to backup is a bad idea.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

I think "the right thing to do" is a statement as open to interpretation as "common sense". If it's the "right thing to do as a cop", then you would have had every single cop there individually stopping to try and help the man.

So now you're playing semantics with what I say?  Be real, you know very well that every single cop there would individually stopping by the man and try to help.  That's an asinine statement.

Guess that's just a difference of how we see things here, cause as far as I saw in that video the guy did move to help, but was directed away from the man just prior to a medic being called.

Yes, but the cop didn't even look to see if a) the medic heard the call b) was coming to attend the man.  So, the cop could have stayed there till the medic arrived.  Common sense right?

I would assume if the medics were called away someone else would have stopped. But that's not what happened, so theorizing about it serves no purpose.

But you were theorizing here, but called me out for doing the same?

14 hours ago, Emn1ty said:

What would they have accomplished by stopping themselves?

20 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

How is pointing out what actually happened blaming the victim? Several people in here have stated that the cops didn't stop at all, they ignored the man after he fell. I have pointed out that they did, in fact, stop almost right away. Within seconds.

The cops didn't stop at all and one cop prevented the other from stopping. As you yourself pointed out that medic where called.  Medics are cops correct?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emn1ty said:

It is incredible how nitpicky people are being about this, assuming just by watching the video they know what's going on in the mind of the cop and what he "should" have done. The armchair experts here are out in strength right now.

No offense but you are being an armchair expert as well.  Neither of us know exactly what was going through the cops mind after forcibly knocking him down and him calling the medic and walking away.

What's being argued is the insensitiveness of the cop and in the context of unnecessary police brutality along with the police report cover-up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nekrosoft13 said:

cops have a duty to protect their firearm, in time of tension, you don't know the intent of people, approaching a police officer in time of tension, especially when they tell you to backup is a bad idea.

Yes they do.  They have many other duties to, such as to protect the peace and to protect individuals.  They are also supposedly trained to de-escalate tense situations.

Victim blaming 101 going on right there!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, primortal said:

The cops didn't stop at all and one cop prevented the other from stopping. As you yourself pointed out that medic where called.  Medics are cops correct?

People stopped, possible national guard, soon after the 2 officers walked past.  And one person posted here that if you listened carefully, the cops called for medics.

Eh. I don't care if the cop who shoved him did CPR, a craniectomy and the National Guard erected an EMEDS for him ... he still shouldn't have been shoved to the ground. Seems people are wanting to give the cops a cookie for calling for a medic after they needlessly injured him. 

3 hours ago, nekrosoft13 said:

Both of the cops that pushed him down had bodycams on them. I would think that if that video and audio justified their actions, that it would be released.

It might surprise you that I am a fervent supporter of police officers. Heck, I even own a Blue Lives Matter flag. I am definitely *not* flying that flag right now. 

If evidence materializes that shows the police actions were justified, I will support them. At this point, I have not seen anything that excuses their actions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1