• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Which Next Gen Console do you plan on buying?

If you're planning on purchasing a Next Gen Console what will it be?  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

SnoopZ    324

If you're planning on purchasing a Next Gen Console what will it be?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+forster    245

Mostly likely the PS5 disc version. It's certainly not going to be day 1, Im in no rush these days. Happy to give at least a year or two for it to mature.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SnoopZ    324
Just now, forster said:

Mostly likely the PS5 disc version. It's certainly not going to be day 1, Im in no rush these days. Happy to give at least a year or two for it to mature.

Also the PS5 disc version for me too, probably not Day One.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Code Name: Lockdown    9,530

I'm torn between the PS5 digital or the PS5 disc.  I prefer the look of the digital, I prefer the digital in theory - but the discounts on games tend to be quicker and deeper on disk based games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dipsylalapo    1,956

I'll probably go for the Series X as soon as I can. 

 

I did also vote for the PS5 Digital version, there are some PS exclusives that I never played that I'd love to get my hands on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LostCat    1,597
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

I'll probably go for the Series X as soon as I can. 

 

I did also vote for the PS% Digital version, there are some PS exclusives that I never played that I'd love to get my hands on.

Same here, though I did have a PS4 Pro for a while.  I don't know *when* I'll go for the PS5 though.  It's not as important, so I recast my vote for XSX only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SnoopZ    324

I wonder if Xbox will pull a surprise Xbox Series X all digital version, anything could happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phemo    47
Posted (edited)

Both, but if the prices are too steep then I reckon I'll get a PS5 (disc version) first.  Doubt I'll be in any rush to get the Xbox Series X at launch since I don't think there'll really be any games I'm all that bothered about initially.

 

Weirdly I prefer buying retail for my console games wherever possible, yet for PC I don't care.  Not sure why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SnoopZ    324
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Phemo said:

Both, but if the prices are too steep then I reckon I'll get a PS5 (disc version) first.  Doubt I'll be in any rush to get the Xbox Series X at launch since I don't think there'll really be any games I'm all that bothered about initially.

 

Weirdly I prefer buying retail for my console games wherever possible, yet for PC I don't care.  Not sure why.

I seem to have gone all digital on the PS4 now, but only when i can get a game dirt cheap, i suspect i won't be able to hold off when i eventually get the PS5 disc version so i will spend more money on games, or maybe replay PS4 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H    3,885

probably not right away but I'll probably get a PS5 Digital Edition at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arceles    402

You must have an option for "NONE".

 

Both consoles are disappointing at this stage.

 

I have had pretty much all sony consoles but I also had Xbox360 and it was a blast. Sony however now is forgetting what really gaming is and instead is making games that resemble quite a bit the Netflix series.

 

Sony design for PS5 clearly shows that they do not even know their target audience, long time gamers usually prefer other designs.

 

On this account the XSX has clearly a much better design and size, thermals remain to be seen. However, MS games look much better on PC.

 

I finally decided not to get another console after this generation, PC is truly next gen... but now instead of later.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SnoopZ    324
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Arceles said:

You must have an option for "NONE".

 

Both consoles are disappointing at this stage.

 

I have had pretty much all sony consoles but I also had Xbox360 and it was a blast. Sony however now is forgetting what really gaming is and instead is making games that resemble quite a bit the Netflix series.

 

Sony design for PS5 clearly shows that they do not even know their target audience, long time gamers usually prefer other designs.

 

On this account the XSX has clearly a much better design and size, thermals remain to be seen. However, MS games look much better on PC.

 

I finally decided not to get another console after this generation, PC is truly next gen... but now instead of later.

 

 

I did think about a NONE option but thought it was pointless and still do as it wouldn't mean anything, if someone isn't going to buy one then there is no need for them to vote.

 

My opinion is both consoles are far from disappointing.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arceles    402
1 minute ago, SnoopZ said:

I did think about a NONE option but thought it was pointless and still do as it wouldn't mean anything, if someone isn't going to buy one then there is no need for them to vote.

 

 

You would be surprised about how may people would choose this option but I understand your reasoning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LostCat    1,597
10 minutes ago, Arceles said:

You would be surprised about how may people would choose this option but I understand your reasoning.

Not really.  The poll asks which you're planning to buy, not if you're planning to buy one.

 

Many PC gamers tend to forget they're still a minority.  Especially at the high end you need to be at to beat these consoles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arceles    402
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, LostCat said:

Not really.  The poll asks which you're planning to buy, not if you're planning to buy one.

 

Many PC gamers tend to forget they're still a minority.  Especially at the high end you need to be at to beat these consoles.

Ahm... the way in which you phrase it is debatable, look at this statistics from 2018, clearly pcgaming is not a minority

https://www.theesa.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/ESA_EssentialFacts_2018.pdf 

 

Also here

http://www.clairfield.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Gaming-Industry-and-Market-Report-2018.01-2.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul1979UK    736

If I was going to buy a next gen console, I would probably go for the Xbox Series X because of paper at least, it looks the better consoles then the PS5, it's got a faster cpu, faster gpu and the SSD performance is more than fast enough to give the vast bulk of benefits that games are likely to see.

 

Throw in the ecosystem and backwards compatibility, the Xbox Series X looks by far the better platform, the only real thing the PS5 has going for it is the fast SSD which I don't think will deliver on the hype like they say over the Xbox Series X and the other is a few games that are exclusive to the PS5 which are such a small handful to not really matter.

 

As it is, I'll likely just upgrade my PC as it's pretty decent already and only really need to change the gpu and M2 drive to power ahead of the next gen consoles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LostCat    1,597
2 minutes ago, Arceles said:

Ahm... the way in which you phrase it is debatable, look at this statistics from 2018, clearly pcgaming is not a minority

https://www.theesa.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/ESA_EssentialFacts_2018.pdf 

 

Also here

http://www.clairfield.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Gaming-Industry-and-Market-Report-2018.01-2.pdf

That first link doesn't really disagree with me?  It says people play games on PC sure, which I'm sure Facebook games also qualify under.

 

Sure, if you're including casual gamers it's not a minority at all.  And I did mention the high end.

 

The second one does mention overall revenue, but how much of that is F2P garbage or people who spend thousands on extra junk in one game?  Until I know that the numbers are meaningless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arceles    402
2 minutes ago, LostCat said:

That first link doesn't really disagree with me?  It says people play games on PC sure, which I'm sure Facebook games also qualify under.

 

Sure, if you're including casual gamers it's not a minority at all.  And I did mention the high end.

 

The second one does mention overall revenue, but how much of that is F2P garbage or people who spend thousands on extra junk in one game?  Until I know that the numbers are meaningless.

We were not discussing content per se, which also you are failing to give some statistics. We are discussing that PC gaming is not a minority and little by little has been gaining weight over time, in my opinion, by poor decision making in consoles.

 

But on the other hand, consoles were great, that's why I have a lot of them, is just that PC is simply much better nowadays. And you do not really need to spend an arm and a leg for them, even better is that you can use them for more than gaming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nick H.    10,685

PS5, disc. While most games I've bought recently have been through the PS store I like having the option of the disc. As others have said though, it won't be a day-1 purchase. My PS4 library is already stacked so I've got some time. :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LostCat    1,597
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Arceles said:

We were not discussing content per se, which also you are failing to give some statistics. We are discussing that PC gaming is not a minority and little by little has been gaining weight over time, in my opinion, by poor decision making in consoles.

 

But on the other hand, consoles were great, that's why I have a lot of them, is just that PC is simply much better nowadays. And you do not really need to spend an arm and a leg for them, even better is that you can use them for more than gaming.

I can't give statistics that don't exist.  I'm not going to spend time and money convincing people to give me information that they won't give me because it makes their business look less impressive.

 

Instead, you can get fancy vague stats from people who want to sell you stuff!  What could be better?

Edited by LostCat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Melfster    768

I don't understand getting a console right now why not wait until 2 or 3 years until after launch. There should be more games and it might be cheaper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SnoopZ    324
Posted (edited)

Each console has its weakness and strengths but they're so small compared to current gen I don't think it will make much of a difference and it will likely come down to which first party games you prefer and which controller you like best.

 

For me personally it is down to the games from Sony and I am looking forward to trying out their new controller to see if those haptic and adaptive feedback triggers make a difference and the 3D audio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arceles    402
3 minutes ago, LostCat said:

I can't give statistics that don't exist.  I'm not going to spend time and money convincing people to give me information that they won't give me because it makes their business look less impressive.

 

Instead, you can get fancy stats from people who want to sell you stuff!  What could be better?

With those arguments I call it quits, there is no constructive discussion here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SnoopZ    324
3 minutes ago, Melfster said:

I don't understand getting a console right now why not wait until 2 or 3 years until after launch. There should be more games and it might be cheaper.

One of the benefits will be backwards compatibility, so hopefully most of our games will work on Next Gen, I don't think I could wait 2-3 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SidVicious    231

 PS5 Digital Edition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.