Which Next Gen Console do you plan on buying?

If you're planning on purchasing a Next Gen Console what will it be?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. If you're planning on purchasing a Next Gen Console what will it be?

• Xbox Series X
    • PlayStation 5
    • Xbox Series S (rumoured Digital 1080p version)
    • PlayStation 5 Digital Edition

20 hours ago, SnoopZ said:

Still no Xbox Series S takers I'm a little surprised, or maybe the specs are rumoured to be too low.

I wonder if MS surprise the community and follow Sony and release a discless  Series X instead of or in addition for $100 less, they must be considering it surely?

I'm surprised that Series S or whatever it's called with weaker specs isn't discless, the specs and no disc drive would reduce the cost quite a bit for the ones that want that option.

12 hours ago, George P said:

Once we have more info on the Series S and a price it could be the sleeper hit of the gen.  There are a number of holiday console buyers who are looking at price for sure and if it gives you better than One X performance at the least, could be what lots of kids end up with as gifts to start.  You could always upsell them the more powerful Series X later on, when it's also cheaper.  

It's possible because with the way this pandemic is going and job security, many are going to want to spend less and it's a given the Xbox Series X will have the same cpu and SSD as the Series X has so the same games are compatible, what will mainly be weaker is the gpu which scales a lot easier.

12 minutes ago, Paul1979UK said:

I'm surprised that Series S or whatever it's called with weaker specs isn't discless, the specs and no disc drive would reduce the cost quite a bit for the ones that want that option.

I was under the impression it was going to be discless, but i guess anything can happen.

13 minutes ago, Paul1979UK said:

It's possible because with the way this pandemic is going and job security, many are going to want to spend less and it's a given the Xbox Series X will have the same cpu and SSD as the Series X has so the same games are compatible, what will mainly be weaker is the gpu which scales a lot easier.

Yeah, GPU difference just means lower res and less ray tracing probably.   Lots of gamers who won't even notice the differences without some detailed DF youtube video to explain it.

17 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

I actually backed the campaign when it first launched. 

I cancelled my IGG pledge after properly researching it 

May I ask what your research turned up?

6 hours ago, George P said:

Yeah, GPU difference just means lower res and less ray tracing probably.   Lots of gamers who won't even notice the differences without some detailed DF youtube video to explain it.

I think it depends.  If it only has 8GB, the Xbox One X will make more sense for 4K on older titles.

I'm not convinced the rumors are entirely correct on that one, we'll see though.

4 hours ago, LostCat said:

I think it depends.  If it only has 8GB, the Xbox One X will make more sense for 4K on older titles.

I'm not convinced the rumors are entirely correct on that one, we'll see though.

RAM could be one of the things that changes late in the game with little impact to production I'd say,  so far it sounds like Series S will have 7.5GB for games and some for OS/apps, so it could be the same 12GB total just split differently, which could make sense if the target isn't 4k at all, unlike the One X that gives games 9GB out of 12GB total iirc.

If the system OS is the same between Series X and Series S then they'll take up the same 2.5GB out of whatever the total is, we could make some good guesses going off of that.   If 7.5GB is for games, 2.5GB for OS, it could have 10GB total, 6GB less, but I think it's got the same 12GB as the One X.  7.5GB of faster RAM just for games, 2.5GB for the OS and 2GB of slower RAM for apps.

On 7/5/2020 at 1:31 AM, margrave said:

May I ask what your research turned up?

I think it was poor management of the project. The project founders not really being able to answer questions in the comments section of the campaign. There was a lack of detail in the early stages too. 

I backed in May 2018 and I think they were supposed to deliver a year later (Q2 2019)

3 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

I think it was poor management of the project. The project founders not really being able to answer questions in the comments section of the campaign. There was a lack of detail in the early stages too. 

I backed in May 2018 and I think they were supposed to deliver a year later (Q2 2019)

It seems like Ouya, except the boxes should be far more capable.  With 4GB being the minimum it'd be hard to even consider it a Switch competitor though.

I don't expect much from it, but I hope they do well enough.

I have a good enough PC and since MS exclusives are also released for windows on the same day (or shortly thereafter), I'd go with a PS5, in 3-4 years after launch.

52 minutes ago, eddman said:

I have a good enough PC and since MS exclusives are also released for windows on the same day (or shortly thereafter), I'd go with a PS5, in 3-4 years after launch.

I have a decent PC.  But the number of times I still can't get Store games to actually launch is kind of embarrassing.

I'm not holding my breath on them fixing that.

48 minutes ago, LostCat said:

I have a decent PC.  But the number of times I still can't get Store games to actually launch is kind of embarrassing.

I'm not holding my breath on them fixing that.

MS changed their policy in May 2019 and almost all their games launched since then, have been released on steam too (and even some games launched before may 2019).

Edited by eddman

1 hour ago, eddman said:

MS changed their policy in May 2019 and almost all their games launched since then, have been released on steam too (and even some games launched before may 2019).

That's nice, but recent experience says the problems haven't been fixed yet.  I use Game Pass so them being on Steam isn't worth much to me.

I'm hoping Windows 10X will fix a lot of problems in Windows land, not that I expect to be able to install it on a desktop right away.

7 hours ago, eddman said:

Honestly for me, I'll stick with PC gaming, I like having options in how I can play the games I buy and a lot of games from both consoles are coming to the PC even if some are a bit late to the party from the PS consoles, I can live with that to have the vast majority of multiplatform games look and run better on the PC then they do on consoles.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 30/08/2020 at 14:44, NathanCole said:

I have been a big fan of PlayStation ever since I first had it in 2005 so I am going to buy PlayStation 5

All the polls I can find after a quick Google suggest there will be far more people getting a PS5 than Xbox, apart from the poll here for some reason.

4 hours ago, Blastoiseed said:

I still haven't decided yet, but the comments in this thread helped me a lot, belive it or not lol.

Compared to huge gaming forums and polls this site's poll results are the complete opposite for some reason.

Do you really need a poll to tell you what to buy?   I don't think these polls say much of anything because they're just a micro-bubble on the internet, even those huge gaming forums you speak of.    The internet wasn't full of threads and polls with people ranting and raving about buying a Switch, yet it's selling like hotcakes.   Sonys event today wasn't anything great either, they showed spiderman, again.  Another CoD, that we've seen already.  RE8, again.   New GoW is coming, but they didn't show anything, yay?  FF16? I haven't felt any hype for a new FF in forever, 15 was meh, 13 was a let down, 7R is good but it's not even done.     I wasn't impressed tbh.

3 minutes ago, George P said:

Do you really need a poll to tell you what to buy?   I don't think these polls say much of anything because they're just a micro-bubble on the internet, even those huge gaming forums you speak of.    The internet wasn't full of threads and polls with people ranting and raving about buying a Switch, yet it's selling like hotcakes.   Sonys event today wasn't anything great either, they showed spiderman, again.  Another CoD, that we've seen already.  RE8, again.   New GoW is coming, but they didn't show anything, yay?  FF16? I haven't felt any hype for a new FF in forever, 15 was meh, 13 was a let down, 7R is good but it's not even done.     I wasn't impressed tbh.

Of course you don't need a poll to tell you what to buy, I thought the event was good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/09/2020 at 19:48, SnoopZ said:

Who else managed to pre order the PS5?

I went for the Disc version and the Pulse 3D headset.

I managed to pre-order from simplygames .. :) I went for Disc version as well. Bring on November.

I've preordered both X series X and PS5. I still have a good 2 years of gamepass ultimate sub and most of my friends are on xbox nowadays, so I'll definitely use xbox as the primary console considering all MS studio games will be free on gamepass from day one. There are/will be PS exclusives worth buying a console for though so ended up getting the ps5 too.

I tend to lean towards disc versions, as those always get more discounts in amazon or gamestop plus the trade-in value once I finish the game.

4 minutes ago, basques said:

I've preordered both X series X and PS5. I still have a good 2 years of gamepass ultimate sub and most of my friends are on xbox nowadays, so I'll definitely use xbox as the primary console considering all MS studio games will be free on gamepass from day one. There are/will be PS exclusives worth buying a console for though so ended up getting the ps5 too.

I tend to lean towards disc versions, as those always get more discounts in amazon or gamestop plus the trade-in value once I finish the game.

Yeah disc version still feel the right way for me. I don't why though as I'm quite happy to have Steam on PC and don't even question it.